Rivals and 247 get catfished by fake recruit

TO be fair, 247 didn’t rate him. The composite pulls up any public info from all other recruiting sites so that’s why he came out on their website.

The irony is 247 is the only one of the big 3 recruiting services to admit offers are part of the ranking metric (though they claim it's a very low percentage).

Last edited:
Advertisement
The problem isn't so much the fake recruit...its the evaluation aspect.

The recruiting sites really need to tighten up on who they are giving grades and evaluations to. They do this too often, even with real players. With the flood of access that these pseudo journalists have to teams, the least they can do is get come confirmation on offers. Especially if a kid is claiming offers from Bama, UF, and Georgia...I mean, the beat writers have access to someone there that can tell them if a kid is a legit or not.

Still, these sites far too often have a ton of players ranked and listed that they've never really seen play. Lots of "fill this out" at an event where the players fill out their information and "teams that interest them" that they end up getting listed on (old school) scout, rivals, etc with these teams that interest them, but its not reciprocated and the end result is a really weird player that is hanging out there as a "three-star" and then they end up never signing anywhere or end up at a JUCO or end up at some FCS or even D2 school.

While I feel the sites do well enough on the top guys, the bottom of their crowdsourced list of names are horrendous and unchecked. When something like this comes up...its pretty embarrassing.

HS students create fake recruit, 247 and Rivals rank him as a 3-star

renderTimingPixel.png

Recruiting
Blake Carrienger, 6'6, 315 lb offensive tackle out of Grace Christian Academy is created out of thin air by some HS students. He tweets out that he has an offer from Alabama, and both 247 and Rivals put him in their database and rank him as a 3-star. Basically, both sites were catfished.

Rivals ranked him as a 5.5 3-star based on the Bama offer alone. No video available, no film, nothing to evaluate on, just numbers and an alleged offer.
Now consider that some recruits are ranked lower than that....

Advertisement
I believe he's a real person, because I believe everything I read. I still think Manti Te'o girlfriend is a solid 9.5.

;)

Three takeaways as far as I can tell. 3 stars can very likely be JAGs, since an offer list is enough to get you that ranking. Low P5 and high G5 school recruiting rankings are probably interchangeable in some cases, since names of school impacts the stars. Lastly, whoever pays for these services is getting ripped off

Advertisement
Back