RIP Paul Hornung

Advertisement
Side note: In the Fall of 1972, I was at an older friend’s house in Coconut Grove (she had lost her son in Vietnam, adopted me as her son as I reminded her of him), enjoying some wine with other friends, when Bart Starr appeared at the gathering, brought in by one of her friends. I was 17+ then. As he was introduced around, he came up to me and asked me if I played any football. when I told him I did not have the physique to ever play the game, he said, “no reason to feel bad, son, we’re all made to do different things in life.” Later, as we sat around, the ladies marveling at his achievements, he pulled out a 1970 Topps trading card, signed it, and handed it to me. Years later, in 1978, my apartment was burglarized, I’ve never been able to find that card. The guy was a monster of a personality when you sat down with him. I will never forget this.
Epic experience !!

Go Canes !!!

Side note: In the Fall of 1972, I was at an older friend’s house in Coconut Grove (she had lost her son in Vietnam, adopted me as her son as I reminded her of him), enjoying some wine with other friends, when Bart Starr appeared at the gathering, brought in by one of her friends. I was 17+ then. As he was introduced around, he came up to me and asked me if I played any football. when I told him I did not have the physique to ever play the game, he said, “no reason to feel bad, son, we’re all made to do different things in life.” Later, as we sat around, the ladies marveling at his achievements, he pulled out a 1970 Topps trading card, signed it, and handed it to me. Years later, in 1978, my apartment was burglarized, I’ve never been able to find that card. The guy was a monster of a personality when you sat down with him. I will never forget this.
Worst burglar in history.

If minorities had been allowed to play in his time, he wouldn't even be a blip on the radar. He practically said it himself.

F*ck him. F*ck ND.

Advertisement
riveting-tale-old-chap.jpg

Epic experience !!

Go Canes !!!
Bart was on either one or both of the Alabama teams we played in the mid 50's. Without looking them up, I think we played Bama in the OB two years running, I think '54 and '55. We beat them both times. I believe Starr was a senior backup QB on that '55 team. I remember going to a Friday night game against Alabama and they were bad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back