RIP Paul Hornung

Advertisement

I loved Hornung and the Pack when I was a kid, when I was an altar boy and before I started to hate Notre Dame.

Let's not forget, Hornung was once suspended indefinitely for betting ON FOOTBALL, along with Alex Karras. Compare the Baseball HOF approach to the NFL HOF approach. Interesting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Loved the Pack under Lombardi and when the NFL was smaller. Taylor was the real RB in his offense but pretty boy was okay.

Advertisement
Loved the Pack under Lombardi and when the NFL was smaller. Taylor was the real RB in his offense but pretty boy was okay.
Side note: In the Fall of 1972, I was at an older friend’s house in Coconut Grove (she had lost her son in Vietnam, adopted me as her son as I reminded her of him), enjoying some wine with other friends, when Bart Starr appeared at the gathering, brought in by one of her friends. I was 17+ then. As he was introduced around, he came up to me and asked me if I played any football. when I told him I did not have the physique to ever play the game, he said, “no reason to feel bad, son, we’re all made to do different things in life.” Later, as we sat around, the ladies marveling at his achievements, he pulled out a 1970 Topps trading card, signed it, and handed it to me. Years later, in 1978, my apartment was burglarized, I’ve never been able to find that card. The guy was a monster of a personality when you sat down with him. I will never forget this.

What are you talking about?!?!

Dude singlehandedly WILLED that Notre Lame team to a 2-8 record!!!
Did he play under Terry Brennan? Used to work in Robert Todd Lincoln's old law firm with Terry's daughter Jane.

Remember Brennan and Hornung both at ND in the late '50's. Remember that Terry was hired straight from a Catholic HS in Chicago. He ended up fired from ND.

Robert Todd was long gone from the firm BTW. He died quite a few yrs before. He DID start the firm, though. Looking through a closet once and found some old photographs of Abe.

Advertisement
One of my literature professors said that poetry is the art of compressing the most meaning in the fewest number of words.

You sir, are a poet.
Yeah, but that language... I mean, who says the ND word out loud?

paul hornung lived locally and was amember at adios c.c. in deerfield.i met him when the waitress accidentally handed me an english muffin that i hadnt ordered.a guy taps me on the back from the next table ,tells me its his english muffin,and the waitress said sorry mr. hornung. got to see him around from time to time and had a laugh about it.good dude

Did he play under Terry Brennan? Used to work in Robert Todd Lincoln's old law firm with Terry's daughter Jane.

Remember Brennan and Hornung both at ND in the late '50's. Remember that Terry was hired straight from a Catholic HS in Chicago. He ended up fired from ND.

Robert Todd was long gone from the firm BTW. He died quite a few yrs before. He DID start the firm, though. Looking through a closet once and found some old photographs of Abe.
I don’t have the security clearances that would be needed in order to respond to this post.

Advertisement
Back