Rip Kobe Bryant

Good summary of the CFIT scenario right here:

According to data available at Flight Radar 24, an air traffic control tracking site, the helicopter — N72EX to air traffic control — climbed above 1,000 feet after circling over Glendale. It turned left, toward the coast, at 9:39 a.m, following State Highway 118. As 9:42 a.m. became 9:43 and 9:44, it swung down to US 101, the Ventura Freeway. About 15 miles away from its destination, reportedly the Mamba Sports Academy, all seemed well.

Then, suddenly, it began to curl left, off the freeway, and climb at a horizontal speed of more than 125 miles per hour and a vertical speed of up to 21 MPH. It reached at least 2,125 feet in calibrated altitude – essentially its distance above sea level.

Then, according to Flight Radar 24’s data, it was descending, accelerating toward earth at a vertical speed of at least 48 miles per hour. It crashed into a mountainside off Las Virgenes Road. A brush fire erupted. All passengers perished.

Multiple experts who spoke with Yahoo Sports, however, questioned the validity of that data. They questioned the idea of the rapid descent. Instead, they pointed to weather; and to a pilot trying to navigate it, but ultimately unable to escape it.

The pilot was ‘entirely on his own’
The first major question is why the pilot, Ara Zobayan, suddenly turned and climbed. To understand that, let’s begin with why he was so low in the first place. Earlier in the flight, Zobayan had been told by air traffic control to “maintain special VFR condition at or below 2,500” feet. This meant he was using visuals – as opposed to solely instrument signals – to guide him. “He’s halfway flying on instruments, and halfway flying by looking at the highway below him,” California-based aviation expert Robert Ditchey told Yahoo Sports. “It was right at the bottom of where radar can pick up the helicopter.”

The weather, though, was spotty. Eye witnesses have described a fog cloaking Calabasas on Sunday morning. Satellite images show gobs of gray. Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said that there was “low visibility and low [cloud] ceiling” in the area. The Los Angeles Police Department had grounded its helicopters as a result.

The fog likely forced Zobayan to stay low – so low that, as he began tracking the Ventura Freeway heading west, air traffic control lost him. “You’re still too low level for flight following,” ATC told him. On audio recordings of the communication between the pilot and ATC, from this point on, there is no pilot response.

“In the moments leading up to [the crash],” Ditchey said, “he was not relying on the air traffic controller to keep him away from the ground. He was using his eyes to follow the road and the ground. [And] the traffic controller is relying on the pilot’s eyes to tell the pilot where he was.

“When flight following ends, the pilot is entirely on his own.”

‘It’s a weather-caused accident’
It is not definitively clear why Zobayan then swerved off the freeway in what Ditchey calls a “circling climb.” Or why the aircraft then crashed. Experts preface all speculation with that caveat. “It’s real early for everything,” J. Joseph, another aviation expert, told Yahoo Sports. “Nobody really knows.”

But they have educated theories. “Because the weather conditions are deteriorating, or, more likely, the terrain is rising,” Juan Browne, a commercial pilot who analyzed the crash in a YouTube video, told Yahoo Sports. “He’s climbing up into rising terrain. The freeway rises up there. There’s higher terrain on either side. And so he’s getting less and less ceiling. It’s the same thing as if the clouds were lowering. The terrain’s rising. The ceiling’s the same, but it’s effectively lowering. So he’s running out of room to remain in visual flight conditions to see the ground. So, you gotta leave yourself a way out.

“It looks to me he’s trying do a 180-degree turn to get out of there. But he turned into the higher terrain, and he started a climb, to try to climb away from the terrain. But ended up hitting the terrain.”

“At that last moment,” Ditchey said, “it appears to me that the pilot saw that the ground was rising up underneath him. He was flying into the mountain. He saw that, and he tried to get up above it, unsuccessfully. Unsuccessfully.”

“The likelihood of [total] engine failure: not very high,” he continued. “It’s a weather-caused accident. In aviation, you call it CFIT: Controlled flight into terrain. In other words, collision with the ground. The airplane’s under control. Nothing’s wrong with the airplane. It’s just, the pilot flies into the ground. And I think this is a classic case of CFIT.”

Joseph agreed. “[The pilot] was planning to fly clear of clouds for the [duration] of the flight,” he said. “But inadvertently, because the ceiling of the clouds are very ragged – typically in fog, they are – he encountered the clouds and lost vision or contact with the ground. And then it’s followed by what we call CFIT.”

Advertisement
Not gonna deny that I’m wired a bit differently from most weepy-eyed ***** out there. But Serial killers enjoy death. I’m just indifferent to it.

Besides, I hate suffering. I have great sympathy for people who are genuinely struggling or hurting in some way. Once you’re dead, though, all suffering is gone. There is really no reason to mourn.
LOL You clearly don't have children of your own.

Advertisement
so you shouldn’t have shît to say but here u are!!

You people are the same types who cried when Friends ended and who get all outraged about Mexit and ****.

Something is wrong in your brain where you think you have some personal connection to these people you see on TV

“The pilot of the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter and 6 other passengers got in big trouble with fog -- they seemed to abort the trip and tried returning home, barely clearing one mountain range, but never slowed down ... this according to the flight tracker and several experienced helicopter pilots in the L.A. area.

As we reported, the pilot had to circle near the Downtown L.A. area -- near the L.A. Zoo -- for 15 minutes because of bad weather ahead. As we reported ... the LAPD had grounded its helicopter fleet because of fog at around the same time Kobe's helicopter took off.

The pilot was following a visual flight plan and was cleared by the tower to proceed north, toward Thousand Oaks where Kobe was taking his daughter for a basketball game. When he got to the Calabasas area, the fog became blinding.

As we reported, the pilot was way too low -- at 1,250 feet. The pilots we spoke with say it's clear based on the abrupt change on the flight tracker ... the pilot panicked and quickly ascended to 2,000 feet. We're told he cleared a mountain range by 100 feet, and the pilots we spoke with say he was so low he almost certainly saw the tops of the mountain.

The pilots we spoke with -- all of whom have extensive experience -- say based on the flight tracker and the accident scene, they believe the pilot felt he had cleared all of the mountains and was proceeding to head back when he hit another mountain. The pilot clearly did not know there were mountains ahead because he actually descended from 2,000 feet to 1,700 feet .. presumably to go under the fog.

Even more baffling, we've been told the pilot was extremely experienced flying in that area -- and was even a flight instructor. One seasoned helicopter pilot told TMZ, he could not understand why Kobe's pilot would have maintained a speed of 161 knots in such dense fog. One of the benefits of a helicopter is you can go much slower -- even 15 mph -- to gingerly avoid terrain if you're uncertain.

Our sources say the chopper was sophisticated and had an altitude warning signal to pull up, but it was too late. As we said, he was doing 161 knots and didn't slow down. The helicopter hit the mountain at that speed.

Several of the pilots we spoke with say the pilot should have gone up to clear the fog, rather than down. To that end, we're told the pilot could have slowed down to almost a stop as he turned, but didn't.”

***kkin unbelievable...wow....just wow...

What was wrong with the pilot.... 161 knots in fog knowing you barely cleared the last mountain?

Was this guy high?

***kkin unbelievable...wow....just wow...

What was wrong with the pilot.... 161 knots in fog knowing you barely cleared the last mountain?

Was this guy high?

Kobe and his group died because he didn't want to sit in sh*tty LA traffic in a car...sad as ****....

You want to cry about random people you don’t know - cry about this 17 year old boy who was shot in the chest and died in Ohio yesterday.

Nobody gives a **** because he wasn’t rich or famous. And that’s why people are *****.

Advertisement
You people are the same types who cried when Friends ended and who get all outraged about Mexit and ****.

Something is wrong in your brain where you think you have some personal connection to these people you see on TV
it sounds callous but it really isn't. you have people that grieve for unborn fetuses more than they do living people or victims of gun violence. you have people that grieve more for abused animals than they do living people. you have people that grieve more for celebrities than they do people in their own communities. just because you see some celebrities that actually knew Kobe all ripped up doesnt mean you have to act like you are all ripped up. recognize the tragedy but come on. it might be better if people kept this stuff it in perspective and helped needy people in their communities cope with tragedy.

Lmao. Since this is a Canes board. Have u met or knew ST26? So when Sean Taylor passed away did you feel someway about? By your logic anyone that felt a connection to him who didn’t know him are dumb?!

Advertisement
Lmao. Since this is a Canes board. Have u met or knew ST26? So when Sean Taylor passed away did you feel someway about? By your logic anyone that felt a connection to him who didn’t know him are dumb?!
i was upset when ST died and to this day have regret his life was cut short. i would be lying if i said i was grieving for days or weeks over it.

I didn’t know Sean Taylor, and I felt nothing when he died. But because I’m a UM alumnus, I kept my mouth shut out of respect for the school and community of Canes fans who did take it personally.

I’m concerned about the living, not the dead.

The fact that LA County Sheriffs felt the need to ground their air operations is all we need to know about how bad the conditions were. LA County Sheriffs are notorious for going all out to catch a perp, and they didn’t want that problem.

Again, imo, once the pilot had to hover around The LA Zoo for 15 mins due to weather, the pilot should’ve been more proactive. Maybe he relied upon his experience vs. judgment. Possibly he didn't realize the depth of the poor visibility. Regardless, his family is at a loss, as well.

We may never know what the conversation was before they took off. What we do know is it was extremely foggy - to the point that other agencies, responsible for the safety of the public, grounded their fleet. This flight was to a kids basketball game. Just seems way too risky. I would be shocked if at least one adult didn't raise concern.

I can only speak for myself but there is zero chance I get on that helicopter by myself, let alone with one of my kids. Again, I'm not placing blame on anyone because I have no idea what happened before they boarded.

Advertisement
“The pilot of the helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, his daughter and 6 other passengers got in big trouble with fog -- they seemed to abort the trip and tried returning home, barely clearing one mountain range, but never slowed down ... this according to the flight tracker and several experienced helicopter pilots in the L.A. area.

As we reported, the pilot had to circle near the Downtown L.A. area -- near the L.A. Zoo -- for 15 minutes because of bad weather ahead. As we reported ... the LAPD had grounded its helicopter fleet because of fog at around the same time Kobe's helicopter took off.

The pilot was following a visual flight plan and was cleared by the tower to proceed north, toward Thousand Oaks where Kobe was taking his daughter for a basketball game. When he got to the Calabasas area, the fog became blinding.

As we reported, the pilot was way too low -- at 1,250 feet. The pilots we spoke with say it's clear based on the abrupt change on the flight tracker ... the pilot panicked and quickly ascended to 2,000 feet. We're told he cleared a mountain range by 100 feet, and the pilots we spoke with say he was so low he almost certainly saw the tops of the mountain.

The pilots we spoke with -- all of whom have extensive experience -- say based on the flight tracker and the accident scene, they believe the pilot felt he had cleared all of the mountains and was proceeding to head back when he hit another mountain. The pilot clearly did not know there were mountains ahead because he actually descended from 2,000 feet to 1,700 feet .. presumably to go under the fog.

Even more baffling, we've been told the pilot was extremely experienced flying in that area -- and was even a flight instructor. One seasoned helicopter pilot told TMZ, he could not understand why Kobe's pilot would have maintained a speed of 161 knots in such dense fog. One of the benefits of a helicopter is you can go much slower -- even 15 mph -- to gingerly avoid terrain if you're uncertain.

Our sources say the chopper was sophisticated and had an altitude warning signal to pull up, but it was too late. As we said, he was doing 161 knots and didn't slow down. The helicopter hit the mountain at that speed.

Several of the pilots we spoke with say the pilot should have gone up to clear the fog, rather than down. To that end, we're told the pilot could have slowed down to almost a stop as he turned, but didn't.”
Cmon, TMZ. The zoo is nowhere close to Downtown LA. He was circling above Glendale, not Downtown LA. And you call yourself the "Thirty Mile Zone"?

Last edited:
From Kobe's former pilot

Instead, they all point to the weather. And Ditchey, on this subject – admittedly with the benefit of hindsight – was unequivocal.

“I’m a pilot,” he said. “I flew in the navy for 14 years, actively. There are times when you just don’t go, you just don’t fly, unless there’s a **** good reason why.”

Advertisement
Back