Rip Kobe Bryant

Advertisement
I'm an MJ fan so I pretty much don't give any love to Kobe or Lebron. I'm sure a lot of people loved him and will miss him. **** shame to go out that early.. and his daughter also. RIP Kobe!

From Kobe's former pilot

Instead, they all point to the weather. And Ditchey, on this subject ā€“ admittedly with the benefit of hindsight ā€“ was unequivocal.

ā€œIā€™m a pilot,ā€ he said. ā€œI flew in the navy for 14 years, actively. There are times when you just donā€™t go, you just donā€™t fly, unless thereā€™s a **** good reason why.ā€
My point from the beginning. If someone is critically injured and needing life flight to a trauma center, maybe some brave pilot takes to those foggy skies to save a life.

A kidsā€™ basketball game? Risk far outweighs the payoff. Maybe you make it to your destination unharmed, but I wouldnā€™t be comfortable subjecting anyone to that risk just for a youth activity.

Advertisement
No, but I do think he may have put a lot of pressure on his pilot TO fly, and it's possible it was a situation where he was on the fence almost safety-wise and pressure from Bossman made him tip to the side of "Let's go, we'll be fine". That doesn't at all make it Kobe's "fault" (that responsibility is ultimately on the pilot 100%, regardless of who his passengers are) so any Kobe-blaming here is dumb as ****. But I think there's a very real chance that exact situation played out, which is what the more rational people may be alluding to.
Iā€™m not blaming Kobe for forcing the pilot to fly. You canā€™t force a pilot to fly. Iā€™m suggesting that Kobe was foolish for getting in a helicopter on a day that foggy and worse putting his daughter on there.

TMac shouldā€™ve kept that **** to himself.. I doubt Kobe had those same thoughts as a 41 yr old and I know he didnt want his Daughter to die at 13 in a helicopter crash with him.

Was watching this live... TMac cleared up those comments shortly after and said those comments were made by Kobe when he was younger etc and he obviously hasnā€™t felt that way since he has children etc.

I guess Iā€™m not following your logic.

If you donā€™t give a shlt about Kobe, why even post?

Of course I donā€™t know Kobe personally, but on top of his incredible athletic gifts, and being one of the five all-time greats, I did admire his commitment to excellence, his incredible work ethic, his full bore competitiveness and winning, his devotion to his daughters, and the fact that he wasnā€™t an attention ***** sports celebrity. He also spoke, if Iā€™m not mistaken, three or four languages fluently, and was probably one of the most intelligent basketball players of all time.

As far as your comments about princess Diana, I personally am not a fan. Couldnā€™t relate to her, didnā€™t have any kind of real accomplishments on her own other than marrying the right guy, so I never did get all the gnashing of the teeth and crying, but if people want to get themselves all upset about her, go ahead.

I didnā€™t need to post. Maybe I should have just kept my thoughts to myself. I just think people are being ridiculous.

I donā€™t like that we live in a society that glorifies athletes, actors, and musicians.

Maybe I am being callous. I just wish people would spend as much time remembering and honoring the soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, doctors, teachers, nurses, etc who die every day around the world without so much as a headline.

But because this guy played basketball, his life is somehow worth more to the Americsn public than the countless faceless soldiers snd servicemen who have died keeping them safe.

Our celebrity culture is disgusting to me.

No, but I do think he may have put a lot of pressure on his pilot TO fly, and it's possible it was a situation where he was on the fence almost safety-wise and pressure from Bossman made him tip to the side of "Let's go, we'll be fine". That doesn't at all make it Kobe's "fault" (that responsibility is ultimately on the pilot 100%, regardless of who his passengers are) so any Kobe-blaming here is dumb as ****. But I think there's a very real chance that exact situation played out, which is what the more rational people may be alluding to.
Itā€™s pure speculation to suggest Kobe pressured the pilot to fly. For all we know, Kobe didnā€™t want to fly and the pilot, hoping to curry favor with a superstar, insisted it was fine.

Advertisement
I didnā€™t need to post. Maybe I should have just kept my thoughts to myself. I just think people are being ridiculous.

I donā€™t like that we live in a society that glorifies athletes, actors, and musicians.

Maybe I am being callous. I just wish people would spend as much time remembering and honoring the soldiers, police officers, fire fighters, doctors, teachers, nurses, etc who die every day around the world without so much as a headline.

But because this guy played basketball, his life is somehow worth more to the Americsn public than the countless faceless soldiers snd servicemen who have died keeping them safe.

Our celebrity culture is disgusting to me.
I am 100% in agreement with your sentiments on our culture's obsession with celebrities. I find that absolutely revolting as well.

Iā€™ve been in a helicopter a few times, so I donā€™t get how somehow this is on Kobe. There is no way in **** I would tell a pilot whether he can go or not go. Same as being in a plane. The pilot is the captain, the master and commander of the vessel. Heā€™s supposed to know all his stuff, whether flying conditions allow further safe flight or not, the rest of us are strictly passengers.

Maybe someone can explain.

I agree, that and the fact that they fly out of a major airport then none of this is on Kobe. I doubt Kobe was on the heli telling the pilot what to do. Just a situation where they shouldn't have been given the go ahead. I would say even the pilot probably thought things were ok if he was cleared for takeoff.

It sounds extremely negligent that a pilot took off in weather so foggy that LAPD air support was grounded.

They took off from the OC (SE of LA) and the crash happened near Calabasas (NW of LA). Not sure if the weather changed, or perhaps the pilot was not aware of the fog near the destination.

Advertisement
Ur a simple minded idiot.

quote-i-m-not-a-role-model-just-because-i-dunk-a-basketball-doesn-t-mean-i-should-raise-your-charles-barkley-1-84-35.jpg

I am 100% in agreement with your sentiments on our culture's obsession with celebrities. I find that absolutely revolting as well.

One day, Jane Fonda will die surrounded by family and loved ones in a warm bed, well in to her 90's. CNN and Fox News will cover the story. Well-wishers will come out in droves to support her on twitter and elsewhere.

Meanwhile, so many young men she trashed died young, alone, and forgotten in Vietnam. Nobody will ever remember their names.

That's the culture I can't stand.

Why did you even use this to respond to me, it just proves my point even more about you. Kobe was a role model because of his worth ethic and his strive for excellence. Whether you ******* play basketball or sit behind a desk you should strive for excellence and not be content with mediocrity. The Mamba mentality can be applied to almost all aspects of life. It's crazy how you couldn't even come to this conclusion.

Like this man really assume that people looked to Kobe as a moral compass.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back