Rip Kobe Bryant

And people have been killed sitting in their living room when a car drives through their wall. That’s simpleton talk. This is all about risk assessment and exposing yourself, your daughter and others to unnecessary risk. Taking a helicopter trip in the dense fog is absurdly risky behavior.
In agreement, the helicopter should have been grounded in foggy conditions. Common Sense was not in play yesterday for the Bryant family. Momma Bryant and Daddy Bryant should have made the decision to drive via vehicle to get to desired destination.

Advertisement
Ran into Kobe in July 1996 at a mall in Carson, California. He had just been drafted by the Lakers, so no one there really knew who he was. My buddies and I recognized him immediately since we're the same age and played HS basketball. He was super cool and signed autographs for us. He even waited for my friend to purchase a basketball at Champs to sign. He still has that ball too. We didn't know he would be a legend at the time. But I'll never forget that day. Ever.

Rest in heaven.

“The pilot then requested a turn to the southwest (to intercept the 101) and Van Nuys approved. At 9:39 a.m. the pilot reported VFR and 1,500 feet. At 9:42 a.m., the pilot squawked ident with Socal Approach. At 9:43:58, Socal Approach informed the pilot that he was too low for flight following. Less than a minute later, at 9:44:22, Socal Approach unsuccessfully tried to reach the pilot. The pilot did not appear to issue any distress call.”

“Data from Radarbox and Flightradar24 both suggest that the final moments of the flight were unstabilized, with the aircraft climbing rapidly from an altitude of 1,200 to 2,150 feet within 40 seconds at speeds ranging from 110 to 153 knots.”

From another article it was reported after climbing, the Flightradar24 data suggested the helicopter was descending 4,000 feet a minute .at 184 mph

And it cant handle that kind of stress for long.

Advertisement
None of the stuff I am reading is pointing to a dual engine failure (the chances of that on that aircraft are insanely low, which is why it was originally designed to fly to oil rigs way out at sea). The fog was so dense that government copters were grounded and it looks like the pilot got disoriented/lost situational awareness in the lack of visibility and flew it right into the side of a mountain, not that the equipment failed. Sadly, it's looking more and more like a John F. Kennedy Jr situation. It would have sounded strange to a witness on the ground before impact as he had likely lost track of up vs down by that point and it was falling more than flying.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is the same chump that tried peddling his size 11 kobe sneakers a minute after dude and his daughter dies in a helicopter crash. Now, in the same thread, he's expecting strangers to listen to his sound judgement about risk management while he takes a backhanded swipe at Kobe. Like Kobe should have known better then to put his daughter on the flight? What a horrible human being this guy must be in real life. A real POS.

Go Canes!!!!
Grow a backbone. They're all types of people in this world...

I don’t think ESPN gets taken seriously. They are a joke of a network. Ever since they cut the deal with Barstool, their ratings have gone way down. The only reason they are still in business is because they broadcast all the college sports games. But they are loosing the b10 and b12 to Fox. Their shows like sports center, get up, first tike, Pardon the interruption and around the horns ratings are at a all time low. Just Imagine what they would have been if they stayed with Barstool.

Getting way OT but I think they're held to an actual news standard (even as that standard has diminished) when they cut away to the ABC News feed on their network.

I absolutely agree that live sports rights (and **** poor competition) is what sustains them. The Barstool partnership was never sustainable with the ESPN "culture" although I do think it absolutely would've provided a big ratings boost.

Most of this country doesn't have an accurate idea or cable ratings and the relatively meager audience you need to draw to be considered a massive success.

Politics aside, someone like Sean Hannity is considered a ratings drawing behemoth on cable. I guarantee you that most people would think he's getting 20 million eyeballs or something a night when his actual audience (the last time I looked at this stuff) was something like 2.7 million people in prime time in a country of 320+ million. So a Barstool partnership definitely could've energized ESPN's ratings- especially during the day with college dudes.

But back to Kobe...

I do not understand how/why people are trying to justify this. I'm not in the risk assessment business - but I do understand risk vs. reward. In this case the 'reward' was a kids basketball game. Flying to a kids basketball game, with your kids, while other agencies are grounded due to weather conditions seems exceptionally risky and foolish given their destination.

I'm not here to assign blame but I'm shocked that of the adults that were present, including the pilot - someone didn't call a no go.
They did have to fly up to Burbank and circle before they were given permission and a flight plan because of the fog. Then apparently the pilot was told to fly low and by sight without instruments. They were flying 184 miles an hour when they crashed. I know that area of Calabasas. Those hills pop up out of nowhere. Anyway, it all seems like something went horribly wrong and we will find out in the days to come. Just tragic all around.

I’ve been in a helicopter a few times, so I don’t get how somehow this is on Kobe. There is no way in **** I would tell a pilot whether he can go or not go. Same as being in a plane. The pilot is the captain, the master and commander of the vessel. He’s supposed to know all his stuff, whether flying conditions allow further safe flight or not, the rest of us are strictly passengers.

Maybe someone can explain.

Advertisement
Love all the positive touching posts. Just got to say it makes me sick when CNN reporter got her little jabs in talking about his case. Then the piece of **** who wrote this article. I swear man, some people want to cast stones for the rest of their lives when someone makes a mistake. I wish we could dig up dirt on whoever wrote this article and ******* blast them. Some people ****** sick.

I’ve been in a helicopter a few times, so I don’t get how somehow this is on Kobe. There is no way in **** I would tell a pilot whether he can go or not go. Same as being in a plane. The pilot is the captain, the master and commander of the vessel. He’s supposed to know all his stuff, whether flying conditions allow further safe flight or not, the rest of us are strictly passengers.

Safety of Flight is the pilots ultimate responsibility. Unfortunately in both civilian and military aviation pressure to accomplish the mission, whether that mission is putting bombs on target or flying a customer across the county, gets in the way of sound decision making and risk management. I'm not implying that was the case in this situation, just a statement of fact. It will take some time but the NTSB will determine the root cause and we can all form our opinions from there. In the end it's still ******* tragic. The more it sinks in that there were parents on that aircraft with their children, its gut-wrenching.

Love all the positive touching posts. Just got to say it makes me sick when CNN reporter got her little jabs in talking about his case. Then the piece of **** who wrote this article. I swear man, some people want to cast stones for the rest of their lives when someone makes a mistake. I wish we could dig up dirt on whoever wrote this article and ******* blast them. Some people ****** sick.

What a pathetic sack of sh-t. Must be exhausting to wake up looking for a new reason to be offended every day like that. I can't wait until The Always Offended trend is over. Worst time in modern history to be alive, IMO.

I just emailed her (Nancy Armour @ USA Today) to give her a piece of my mind. LOL

Advertisement
Safety of Flight is the pilots ultimate responsibility. Unfortunately in both civilian and military aviation pressure to accomplish the mission, whether that mission is putting bombs on target or flying a customer across the county, gets in the way of sound decision making and risk management. I'm not implying that was the case in this situation, just a statement of fact. It will take some time but the NTSB will determine the root cause and we can all form our opinions from there. In the end it's still ******* tragic. The more it sinks in that there were parents on that aircraft with their children, its gut-wrenching.

I get that.

But it’s on the pilot to not succumb to any exogenous pressure, so it’s up to him, and him alone, to make the fly/no-fly decisions.

If a pilots succumbs to “go fever”, it’s still 100% on him. He’s responsible for all the lives on board.

The pilot is the expert, he makes the assessment on whether or not they fly.

As a passenger you put your trust in the pilot that he knows what he's doing & has the situation under control.

People trying to blame this on Kobe are only doing so because they simply didn't like him while he was alive & hate to see the outpouring of love & sadness that people are devasted that he's gone.

But that's just a testament to the greatness of who he was, that so many people loved him that it actually bothers people to see him be celebrated for the great man he truly was.

I get that.

But it’s on the pilot to not succumb to any exogenous pressure, so it’s up to him, and him alone, to make the fly/no-fly decisions.

If a pilots succumbs to “go fever”, it’s still 100% on him. He’s responsible for all the lives on board.
You're absolutely correct, I wasn't trying to insinuate blame on any of the passengers. Short of putting a gun to the pilots head, they're the ones who take all relevant information and safety factors and make go/no-go decisions from engine start to shutdown. We'll see what comes out of the investigation.

Advertisement
Back