NBA RIP Bill Russell

Advertisement
RIP Mr. Russell. You were an inspiration for millions. Legendary career. 11 time World Champion. A warrior for equal rights…. while playing in a town like Boston. Greatest winner in team sports history. And from all accounts, a true Gentleman off the court. Godspeed sir!

Advertisement
boston celtics vintage GIF

Advertisement
RIP.

Great Man.

Great Champion.

Over a 15-year period, beginning with his junior year at the University of San Francisco, Russell had the most remarkable career of any player in the history of team sports. At USF, he was a two-time All-American, won two straight NCAA championships and led the team to 55 consecutive wins. And he won a gold medal at the 1956 Olympics. During his 13 years in Boston, he carried the Celtics to the NBA Finals 12 times, winning the championship 11 times.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Of all the great basketball players, Bill Russell was my favorite. He played it as a team sport, when he defended on a block he directed it to a team member not just swat it out of bounds and he was a great commentator and first class individual. To me watching him play he will always be the GOAT.

There will never be another winner in team sports comparable to Russell
2 NCAA titles
Olympic Gold
11 NBA titles
8 consecutive NBA titles
won a title as a player-coach

Even though I grew up hating th Celtics, as a Sixers fan, one of the best sports books I read with “red and me” written by Russell about his relationship with Red Auerbach. 2 people equally committed to winning who found perfect business partners in each other. We will obviously miss Russell the person even more than Russell the basketball player, but I wanted to focus on the basketball exploits for now. His accomplishments as a person are really too long to list.

Advertisement
Back