Riley Neal

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
Yorktown (Ind.) High School QB Riley Neal called Hurricane coaches recently and spoke with coach James Coley.

"Coach Coley, he was just saying their QB decommitted and he said that I was one of the first names that came up on their board, that he liked what I did at their camp this summer, that he'd been watching my film from football and basketball and liked what he saw.

"I told him thanks and I look forward to talking to him more."

With Dwayne Lawson's decommitment UM is looking to add another QB in this class, and at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds Neal put up some big numbers last season - he threw for over 2,500 yards, ran for over 1,000 and had 56 total touchdowns.

He's gotten timed at 4.65 seconds in the 40.

"Miami hasn't offered yet," Neal said. "I'm not sure what will happen, we'll have to wait and see."

Neal is currently a Ball State commit, and he lists two other offers - from Central Michigan and Illinois State.

"I'm interested in Miami - I don't know for sure what I'd do (if UM offers)," Neal said. "I don't have an offer from Miami, so it's hard to tell. If it happens we'll go from there."

Neal has attended UM's last two summer camps.

Of what he knows about the Cane program, Neal said, "I watched the 30 for 30 documentary, that tells you a lot. I know the basic stuff about Miami."

Advertisement
Well, there have been some really good QB's from MAC level schools balling out on Sundays.....and we do have a need. Got great size, Plus we got a MAC type corch, soooo....

Advertisement
Would be an epic battle prying him away from Balls State. That David Letterman money is long. And even if we manage to pull that off we'd have to hold off Illinois State.

This guy looks like a decent player but it boggles my mind that we aren't all over Ryan Stanley.

He's getting it done against elite competition and is a big-time athlete.

Advertisement
This guy looks like a decent player but it boggles my mind that we aren't all over Ryan Stanley.

I think James Coley is looking for Taller QB's That can survey the entire field from the Protection of the Pocket. With Stanley being 6'1"-ish he would have problems seeing over 6'5" linemen an would need throwing lanes. Or the pocket would need to be moved with bootlegs or rolling pockets which can limit the play action options from the under center pro style sets.

I do like stanley's athletic ability and he won the Golden Gun award this summer which shows his has the smarts to run a complex offense. But I think he could get alot of balls batted down by taller D-Ends.

Go Canes

I think James Coley is looking for Taller QB's That can survey the entire field from the Protection of the Pocket. With Stanley being 6'1"-ish he would have problems seeing over 6'5" linemen an would need throwing lanes. Or the pocket would need to be moved with bootlegs or rolling pockets which can limit the play action options from the under center pro style sets.

I do like stanley's athletic ability and he won the Golden Gun award this summer which shows his has the smarts to run a complex offense. But I think he could get alot of balls batted down by taller D-Ends.

Go Canes

So why sign Malik Rosier?

Go Canes

So why sign Malik Rosier?

The same reasoning applies with Rosier an they will have to move the pocket with Rosier also. Rosier is a very athletic that can run and pass but needs time to develop as a passer. Not to mention Rosier has a Canon for arm.

Go Canes

Go Canes
This is where confusion comes into play,

Centeio from 2017 is 6'0"-6'1"

If that's the case I don't see why they would take Centeio. No knock on Centeio at all cause I see him developing beautifully into a great dual threat.

IMO should go after Stanley. The other options are a bit underwhelming considering where they are coming from. Not saying they can't pan out, but I would prefer Stanley especially with the competition he plays against here.

Now if worst comes to worst and we want to take someone for depth and run out of options. Take a look at Kevin Patrick nephew from Wellington, Shannon Patrick. Might not be the most appealing but we need depth.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Forget about Shannon Patrick, I want his "bleeping" uncle (Kevin " I Don't give a F" Patrick) to come back to UM an coach. Man I love this guy as a DLine coach, he just wants to win. **** I would take UM winning games 12 to Zero, having kicked a field goal in every quarter because we had such a dominant dline.

Go Canes

http://tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/no-mixed-loyalties-for-usf-coaches-vs-miami-563852

No mixed loyalties for USF coaches vs. Miami
By Joey Johnston | Tribune Staff
Published: November 13, 2012 | Updated: March 14, 2013 at 01:03 AM

The University of Miami football program – in the parlance of modern college athletics – has a great brand.

The U.

Five national championships. Two Heisman Trophy winners. Sixty-one NFL first-round draft picks. Eight members of the College Football Hall of Fame. Four members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

That brand has suffered.

UM (5-5), which hosts the University of South Florida Bulls (3-6) on Saturday afternoon at Sun Life Stadium, hasn't won a conference title since 2003. The Hurricanes are still seeking their first trip to the ACC championship game.

So much for current events. If the Bulls need a history lesson on UM football glory, they can simply report to the practice field.

USF defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick was an All-American defensive lineman for the Hurricanes (1989-93). He was a member of two national championship teams. As a senior, he was named Big East Conference defensive player of the year.

Bulls defensive ends coach/special teams coordinator Vernon Hargreaves was a linebackers coach at UM (1998-2005) and part of arguably the best team in state history, the 2001 unbeaten national-champion Hurricanes.

Mixed loyalties?

Hardly.

Plenty of time has passed. "I will always love my alma mater,'' Patrick said, although one of the most thrilling moments of his career occurred in 2010, when USF won at Miami, 23-20 in overtime. "It was like beating up on your little brother,'' he said. "But I loved it.''

Hargreaves, who played at Connecticut, has been an assistant coach at six schools. But he knows the time at UM – when he coached the likes of Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma, D.J. Williams, Jon Beason and Nate Webster – was special.

"When you look back on it now, it was amazing, just incredible,'' Hargreaves said. "When you're in the middle of it, you're just doing what you normally do. You don't appreciate the whole thing until it's gone. But it was a great time.''

Hargreaves was there when UM won 34 consecutive games and was poised to claim back-to-back national titles. The Hurricanes had apparently beaten Ohio State to win the 2003 Fiesta Bowl in overtime.

"I was in the booth, I saw the fireworks go off, I saw some of our guys rush the field … then I saw that penalty flag fluttering in,'' Hargreaves said.

Pass interference. New life for Ohio State, which prevailed in two overtimes.

"Holy moly!'' Hargreaves said. "I still can't believe it.''

Hargreaves was a big believer in the power of UM's tradition, though. He felt it every day, particularly when witnessing the work ethic of his players.

"Every place I've been, I try to explain this to the guys I've coached, the guys like Morgan and Vilma,'' Hargreaves said. "They were incredibly talented. But the bigger thing was the way they prepared, the way they worked in practice. They had such a foundation. At Miami, where there was a lot of talent, I learned that it was about so much more than just talent.''

Patrick can vouch for that.

During his UM career, including a redshirt year, the Hurricanes were ranked in the top 10 each week of those five seasons (and they were a top-five team in 48 of those 60 weekly polls).

"It was what a lot of people consider the heyday of college football,'' Patrick said. "I'm so grateful to have been a part of that. It does get you a lot of respect.''

Even Patrick's USF players, some of whom were not born when he played at UM, know about his Hurricane background.

"I like to think it helps me to relate to my players and it helps them relate to me,'' Patrick said. "I've bled and sweated. I've put my hand in the dirt. I've done all the things I'm going to ask them to do and was fortunate to have some success.

"You never forget how you were raised in this game. And I was raised in a firestorm. It made me into who I am. My teammates at the U, they'll always be my brothers. But they know no matter who we're playing, even Miami, I've giving it my all to win.''

Last edited:
Forget about Shannon Patrick, I want his "bleeping" uncle (Kevin " I Don't give a F" Patrick) to come back to UM an coach. Man I love this guy as a DLine coach, he just wants to win. **** I would take UM winning games 12 to Zero, having kicked a field in every quarter because we had such a dominant dline.

Go Canes

Should seriously hire Kevin Patrick for the dline. He does have a good resume under his belt for developing players.

Advertisement
As for Coley and what he looks for in QB's...imo he doesn't care about height for dual-threats but it is obviously preferred. But for PP's he likes those tall, prototypical guys that are big enough to take hits and to see the whole field and they usually have stronger arms than the running guys. JMO

How would you rank Ryan Stanley, James Morgan, Riley Neal, Carter Stanley and Shannon Patrick 1-5.

For me it's 1) Patrick 2) Ryan Stanley 3) James Morgan 4) Riley Neal 5) Carter Stanley

Advertisement
Back