Riddick@ESPN

Pete

Freshman
One of the ESPN panel made an interesting statement."Many
times there are far better players in the second round of the draft.
Teams now are so afraid of making a mistake in the first round that
they draft down in favor of better character player than a better FB
player."
Some very intelligent coaches like Belicheck and Jimmy Johnson
did exactly that,trade down the first round and get two or more
2nd-5th round draft choices.Not only did they get more players but
spread the risk of a failed draft choice around.

Advertisement
This is almost always what I think teams should do when looking for a QB. Instead of going after that first round guy for a bajillion dollars, take a 3rd rounder or two. You'll find a good one within a few years and you won't have paid Johnny Football a ton of cash to not play for you.

This is almost always what I think teams should do when looking for a QB. Instead of going after that first round guy for a bajillion dollars, take a 3rd rounder or two. You'll find a good one within a few years and you won't have paid Johnny Football a ton of cash to not play for you.

Maybe you can share that advice w Ryan Pace of the Bears. Smh.

Maybe you can share that advice w Ryan Pace of the Bears. Smh.

Even putting aside my feeling that you should pretty much never take a QB in the first round, hat situation is astounding. I can hardly believe that they took Trubkdljskj in the first 5 picks, but to trade up? Nuts.

Riddick may be the most insightful NFL commentator around.

Advertisement
The Bears GM may have vaulted himself into rare air. AJ Smith is celebrating somewhere knowing his title as worst GM ever maybe going to a new contender.

Go Canes!

He was in the running for the Niners GM job. If this Draft is an indicator they did just fine by going with Lynch but you're still right that Riddick comes off well on tv.

The Bears GM may have vaulted himself into rare air. AJ Smith is celebrating somewhere knowing his title as worst GM ever maybe going to a new contender.

Go Canes!

3-13 team worst in Bears history, yet he decides to draft, wait, move up by fleecing our future to draft....wait, fleecing our future to move up only one spot to draft........WAIT........fleecing our future to move up one spot ahead of a team that had no interest in Trubisky, to draft a guy who's started a total of 13 games w an 8-5 record as a starter. So after mortgaging the future, limiting our picks, you would think he would be judicious in making the last 4 picks count to fill needs....NOPE, the idiot decides to draft 3 FCS players and a guy w a broken leg. At least Jackson fills the S need IF he can come back healthy and pair w Bush. But jeez this guy is a bumbling idiot.

Go Canes!

If Trubisky turns out to be a stud then he got a bargain. He took a chance that he will be a good/great QB. Without a QB, you are screwed so sometimes you have to take a chance.

I would take a QB almost every year in rounds 4-6 no matter who your current QB is.

Advertisement
I was thinking about a statement they made at the beginning of the draft on Saturday. They said 65% of the players on rosters last year came from rounds 3 through 7, hence the importance of the rounds. There are seven rounds so each round usually includes 15% of a teams picks. So the late rounds are not overrepresented, but it does show that you must do a good job there. It would be interesting to see the relative importance of each late round on roster makeup

He was in the running for the Niners GM job. If this Draft is an indicator they did just fine by going with Lynch but you're still right that Riddick comes off well on tv.

Riddick is one of the few NFL guys I respect at ESPN. He has cut his teeth in scouting departments and it shows when he's on camera - it doesn't hurt that he's a well spoken do. I pay particular attention to his defensive back evaluations

Advertisement
Back