Richt's comment on the 2nd team oline

brock

All-American
[TWEET]902568044244885506[/TWEET]
This is great news, won't stop the worrying posters worried about depth every 5 minutes but it's good richt is showing confidence in his 2nd oline unit. He talked them up a good bit today the press conference

Advertisement
Great news. I'll admit I've had reservations about the OL being the weak link on the team.
Players probably a lot more comfortable with the new staff/scheme.

They should get better as the season goes. There going against the best of the best at practice everyday and thats the start of us returning to greatness.

OL depth is one of our biggest concerns, I'm praying we can avoid injury here.

Advertisement
Broke, if you listened to the press conference you would see that Rick clearly said that he's not comfortable enough in having direct substitutes in position by position (Kai-leon for KC for example) and instead would probably kick Trevor Darling to tackle and figure it out. So there is a ways to go on the second line.

You're not wrong to highlight that our second team OL is leagues better than last year, which isn't saying much since last year's STARTING OL was bottom caliber P5 level

The second string OL is only an issue if we lose the entire 1st team OL. It's more relevant to talk about the top 2 or 3 backups than it is the "2nd string." I think we have a couple of very capable backup OLinemans.

Broke, if you listened to the press conference you would see that Rick clearly said that he's not comfortable enough in having direct substitutes in position by position (Kai-leon for KC for example) and instead would probably kick Trevor Darling to tackle and figure it out. So there is a ways to go on the second line.

You're not wrong to highlight that our second team OL is leagues better than last year, which isn't saying much since last year's STARTING OL was bottom caliber P5 level

That's the same everywhere.

Advertisement
Linder tucking tail after Gaynor bullied him like those ND DT's is what improved the 2nd line.
100% accurate and irrefragable. Searels loved Linda for reasons unknown to man, but the minute he quit we got better on the OL. Linda was eating up space on seniority alone. Give me Gaynor or Mahoney over that meatball punk any day of the week.

Last year's second team had St. Louis, Gall, Gauthier - all of whom were starters by the end of the year and kicking ***.

I'm somewhat skeptical of Gaynor holding up against a guy like Derrick Nnadi in a few weeks, or Herbert being able to stay in front of Josh Sweat - so let's hope our starting 5 stay healthy so these new guys have some more time to adjust before they're out there playing against one of the best defenses in the country.

Last year's second team had St. Louis, Gall, Gauthier - all of whom were starters by the end of the year and kicking ***.

I'm somewhat skeptical of Gaynor holding up against a guy like Derrick Nnadi in a few weeks, or Herbert being able to stay in front of Josh Sweat - so let's hope our starting 5 stay healthy so these new guys have some more time to adjust before they're out there playing against one of the best defenses in the country.
I'm not skeptical of Rick Leonard being able to block chad thomas , Derrick Kelly being able to block joe Jackson , alec eberle and cole mineshaw being able to block rj mcintosh and Kendrick norton. We know they can't. So the same thing can be said for them, their depth is also much worse than ours

I'm not skeptical of Rick Leonard being able to block chad thomas , Derrick Kelly being able to block joe Jackson , alec eberle and cole mineshaw being able to block rj mcintosh and Kendrick norton. We know they can't. So the same thing can be said for them, their depth is also much worse than ours

Agree. Most FSU fans I know who dont walk around with homer glasses on are scared $hitless about their OLine. Same starters coming back from last year and they still think they are a huge liability.

Advertisement

That's the case with every OL at every level of football. Teams have a lineman who is 6th best, one that is 7th best, etc. Most of the time the top 6-8 guys have enough positional flexibility to make it so that the 9th and 10th best OL aren't getting inserted into the starting lineup unless at least 3 of the top guys are lost.

I don't think there's a team in D1 Football that's 9-10 deep on the OL.

Go check FSU's line, their starters are questionable & on top off that, they lost 2 4-star Freshman OL's just last week who are both out for the season.

I think there's a legitimate gripe to be made about our OL depth, we simply don't know how good they can be.

But with that said, I think we all can agree that Linder was terrible & no matter how much experience he had he made us worse when he was in the game.

Yeah the kid who really hurt us was adawgflu. He could have really helped as the swing tackle this year behind kc and st Louis. But **** him.

Advertisement
Linder tucking tail after Gaynor bullied him like those ND DT's is what improved the 2nd line.

If anyone goes down they'll shuffle the starters around & insert Gaynor, which won't cause that much of a drop off imo.

Exactly.
If McDermott goes down, St Louis moves to LT, Donaldson probably moves to RT, Gauthier moves to RG, and Gaynor steps in.

Basically no matter who goes down it will involve Gaynor coming in at center and Gauthier switching to Guard.

If anyone goes down they'll shuffle the starters around & insert Gaynor, which won't cause that much of a drop off imo.

Exactly.
If McDermott goes down, St Louis moves to LT, Donaldson probably moves to RT, Gauthier moves to RG, and Gaynor steps in.

Basically no matter who goes down it will involve Gaynor coming in at center and Gauthier switching to Guard.
If McDermott went down Searels would probably kick Darling outside to LT, keep Gauthier at Center & just put Gaynor at LG.

If St. Louis goes down then there might be a problem, because he's our best OT & Brown doesn't seem to have the ability to step up in his place.

Don't think we'll be seeing Donaldson play OT until next year, if he's ever eventually moved outside.

My guess would be McDermott would move to RT and Darling to LT. Donaldson may move to LG and Gaynor plays RG or LG. Just a guess. Clearly our 3rd best OT is Darling then Herbert/Brown. Our 6th best OL is Gaynor.

My guess would be McDermott would move to RT and Darling to LT. Donaldson may move to LG and Gaynor plays RG or LG. Just a guess. Clearly our 3rd best OT is Darling then Herbert/Brown. Our 6th best OL is Gaynor.

Why would we have our blindside LT move to RT?
McDermott would stay where he is.

Imo this is what the depth chart is:

LT:.....McDermott....> St Louis.......> Darling......> Herbert
LG:....Darling.........> Gauthier.......> Mahoney
C:......Gauthier.......> Gaynor
RG:....Donaldson....> Gauthier.......> Jones
RT:.....St Louis........> Donaldson....> Darling.....>Brown

so if both mcdermott and st louis went down (wed be ****ed) but our starters would be:
lt: Darling
lg: Gauthier
c: Gaynor
rg: jones/mahoney
rt: Donaldson

Advertisement
Back