Richt recruiting history

What does trusting the staff have to do with anything? Do I trust them to make good evaluations? Sure.

Do I trust they're so good at it they can be the first staff ever to recruit below this blue chip ratio and win a national title? Of course not.

I agree we don't need to nitpick every offer that's a 3 star bc not every 3 star is created equal. But by in large the evidence suggests class rank matters and so it's perfectly reasonable for people to be anxious about the number of elite prospects committed relative to 3 stars at this point in time.

You're right. It's better to recruit more "blue chips" than not to. It's also a self-fulfilling deal to some extent. Bama gets whoever they want, but the recruiting services also know that whomever Baga is after, must be good.

My biggest point is this. There is a first for everything. At some point in time, some team is going to win a national championship below the 50% threshold of the "blue chip ratio". Most likely program in the country to be able to do that? The U.

Advertisement
Even if you blindly accept the premise that this staff is elite at evaluating 3 star prospects there is zero evidence to suggest they can win a national title by doing it that way. It's not happened before.

As much as faith I have in the staff they have not demonstrated they are so good at evaluating that we (as fans) should just ignore what the recruiting services say.

Last edited:
Are you talking about a 3* developing into a 4 or 5* in college or in high school? I'm going to assume college since I don't think the latter has happened.

The problem with that is 3* sometimes dont develop into a 4 or 5* caliber player until their junior years of college. You'd be relying on a green player(s) at a position while other schools are reaping the benefits of their 4 and 5* being a bit more developed, better speed, etc. Would you rather have a Laremy Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Garrett, type talent for three years or for one?
Of course I'd rather be in bamas position of being able to cherry pick out of consesous 4 and 5* but were not there yet.

I'm mostly talking about this class. Does anyone really think Brooks is a 3* talent? Crowley, I don't know what's holding his ranking back. Munoz, his hs coach said he's the best DT he's coached and Jason Taylor said Miamis getting the steel of the class with him.

I guess all I'm trying to say is I like this class regardless of ranking. If we can land Neal, Stevenson and one of Bogle or Weaver we good...regardless of class ranking.

Mark Richt can recruit skill positions with the best. The knock on him is that he doesn't recruit the o-line very well. If he could pull Sam Pittman from UGA or anyone else that kills it there, then Miami would be in great shape.

Mark Richt can recruit skill positions with the best. The knock on him is that he doesn't recruit the o-line very well. If he could pull Sam Pittman from UGA or anyone else that kills it there, then Miami would be in great shape.
Well he’s recruited oline here the last 2 cycles better than Miami had in the previous 5 years

Advertisement
Well he’s recruited oline here the last 2 cycles better than Miami had in the previous 5 years
I am relatively new to Miami, so I'm not sure how well Golden recruited there. Judging by your comment I assume not very well. My comment was based off of what I've heard from Georgia fans, so it could be sour grapes.

While at Georgia...he was the best coach in the nation to not win a national championship...at least on par with Chris Petersen.

He just lacked something to get him over the hump.

Maybe it was QB, maybe it was philosophy, maybe it was not the right mix of coaches underneath, maybe it was a bad break...just lacked...something.

Looked back at coach's last 10 recruiting classes at Georgia and was surpised by a lot of things. I was once worried about all the 3 stars we are taking but the man must have some sort of philosophy as most of his classes are composed of a lot of three stars mixed with a lot of elite talent. However, even with taking 12-14 3 stars at times his classes never fell bellow the top 12 and althought he never won a natty he won A LOT of games by doing this. I also noticed that some years he would take a huge class and other years a much smaller class. The years with the huge classes were filled with 3 stars and those with smaller classes were always much more selective. Just some random thoughts

If we had any competent coach the last 10+ years this philosophy would've won multiple 'ships. SoFla shines for this. It's why I dont give a **** how many local 3s we are getting. Show me the tape.

While at Georgia...he was the best coach in the nation to not win a national championship...at least on par with Chris Petersen.

Maybe it was QB, maybe it was philosophy, maybe it was not the right mix of coaches underneath, maybe it was a bad break...just lacked...something.
A lot of our coaches before getting to Miami lacked something and had tons of more questions than richt and wasn’t nearly as accomplished as him. Yet they still won championships, Miami is just different we aren’t uga or any other program period

Advertisement
The biggest challenge so far has been Kul going MIA recruiting and juggling out roster limitations.

Side bar, Rumph and the DBs, but we still have an elite haul.

Blue Chip Ratio that a modern era thing. It’s valid but I think it’s also overkill. Hit on your QB and enough of defense and you will be fine.

He wasn’t coaching at a championship program. Not rocket science.

Advertisement
Back