Richt recruiting history

Cuban-Cane

Recruit
Looked back at coach's last 10 recruiting classes at Georgia and was surpised by a lot of things. I was once worried about all the 3 stars we are taking but the man must have some sort of philosophy as most of his classes are composed of a lot of three stars mixed with a lot of elite talent. However, even with taking 12-14 3 stars at times his classes never fell bellow the top 12 and althought he never won a natty he won A LOT of games by doing this. I also noticed that some years he would take a huge class and other years a much smaller class. The years with the huge classes were filled with 3 stars and those with smaller classes were always much more selective. Just some random thoughts

Advertisement
I think too many people think head coaches and college coaches in general recruit based on how fans think.

Richt isn't Coker. He doesn't log on to rivals or 24/7 sports and look for 4 and 5 stars to recruit.

There is no secret philosophy he is using. He uses his a million years of coaching experience to evaluate film and players in person and he recruits based off of that just like any other established head coach does.

You guys read way too much into recruiting rankings.

One of the main aspects that Richt uses in his recruiting of 3 Star players is his staff must see the player participate at least a one of his camps.

I think too many people think head coaches and college coaches in general recruit based on how fans think.

Richt isn't Coker. He doesn't log on to rivals or 24/7 sports and look for 4 and 5 stars to recruit.

There is no secret philosophy he is using. He uses his a million years of coaching experience to evaluate film and players in person and he recruits based off of that just like any other established head coach does.

Isn't it funny? Coaches not looking at whay other people say when most likely he and the staff are watching more film of that player or watching hin more live? These guys know more then we do and know more then these recruiting sites who get so much wrong every single year so once again its do you trust the coaches or not and i know i do

The 2017 Blue-Chip Ratio: Only 10 teams make the national title cut

Advertisement
Statistics show results from an entire class. It doesn't speek to individual evals, it's apples and oranges.

Statics say 7% of 3* get drafted. Well, if a staff can identify that 7% it's a winning team.

Look at Garvan and Rousseau, they are 5* in my book. Like was already said, do you trust the staff or not...I do, they have shown to hit on their evals so far regardless of ratings.

What does trusting the staff have to do with anything? Do I trust them to make good evaluations? Sure.

Do I trust they're so good at it they can be the first staff ever to recruit below this blue chip ratio and win a national title? Of course not.

I agree we don't need to nitpick every offer that's a 3 star bc not every 3 star is created equal. But by in large the evidence suggests class rank matters and so it's perfectly reasonable for people to be anxious about the number of elite prospects committed relative to 3 stars at this point in time.

What does trusting the staff have to do with anything? Do I trust them to make good evaluations? Sure.

Do I trust they're so good at it they can be the first staff ever to recruit below this blue chip ratio and win a national title? Of course not.

I agree we don't need to nitpick every offer that's a 3 star bc not every 3 star is created equal. But by in large the evidence suggests class rank matters and so it's perfectly reasonable for people to be anxious about the number of elite prospects committed relative to 3 stars at this point in time.
We have blue chip depth. We have 80 scholly players and 47% is blue chip.

What matters is the evaluations of the 3 stars, eg how many became All Conference or better players.

Randy signed a lot of 3 stars, but they were only 3 stars because he offered them. His evaluations were Chernobyl.

OTOH, places like Louisville and WVU sign a ton of 3 star kids who go on to be drafted into the NFL.

Advertisement
Anybody worried about whether or not Richt can recruit is just being dishonest with themselves and others. Richt has and will continue to upgrade this program’s roster to heights the last three coaches couldn’t even dream of, plain and simple.

The question that everyone should have, is can Richt take this program all the way to the promised land. We will continue to get better and at some point we could be the most talented team in CFB, question will be can we play like it and that has always been Richt’s question.

We have blue chip depth. We have 80 scholly players and 47% is blue chip.

I think we're on the right track for sure. And personally I have faith the staff will get us over the hump this class and continue on that good trend.

But I do not have faith they can win a national title just by hitting on 3 stars. They need to stay above the ratio. The expectation should be they do both.

At the end of the day if he had better evals at qb the last few years he would still be at UGA.

He can recruit..he is in prime recreuiting soil...so he will get his...hit on your qb and we will be cooking down here.

There are so many stories of why he is not at Georgia, good thing he is with us! Guy has recruited at an elite level his entire career. Look at what he's done in his short time here. total State of miami focus. is it perfect nope, but it's still elite.

Advertisement
Consider the amount of players coaches are scouting (maybe around a 100 or so per class) vs the amount of players some dude who works for a website is scouting (ALL OF THEM). Then consider who knows way way way more what they are looking at/for - an experienced successful coach or some dude working for a website.

Websites put out their rankings to sell subscriptions and have zero accountability for their rankings. Coaches select their players to win games and get fired if they are wrong. I'll take the experienced coaches analysis.

Point is, if they develop into 4 and 5* star players what does it matter what they were ranked when recruited?

Having said that I do believe the services will see some of these guys as 4* when said and done.

CMR has recruited very well since arriving at UM.. Ppl here aren't too excited thus far with the Surge19' class, it's not the recruiters, it's the RECRUITS!! Unfortunately every cycle won't go the same, last year MIAMI had 90% of 2018 class locked up before December, this year it's a different group of recruits..

CMR and staff have a very talented bunch committed thus far, it's just these rankings are hurting the overview of the class (because some of these 3 star recruits should already be 4 star commits)..

Advertisement
Point is, if they develop into 4 and 5* star players what does it matter what they were ranked when recruited?

Having said that I do believe the services will see some of these guys as 4* when said and done.
Since CMR has taken over, we have seen a bunch of player's progress and develop under this staff!!

Are you talking about a 3* developing into a 4 or 5* in college or in high school? I'm going to assume college since I don't think the latter has happened.

The problem with that is 3* sometimes dont develop into a 4 or 5* caliber player until their junior years of college. You'd be relying on a green player(s) at a position while other schools are reaping the benefits of their 4 and 5* being a bit more developed, better speed, etc. Would you rather have a Laremy Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Garrett, type talent for three years or for one?

Advertisement
Back