Richt Coordinators

DC hire is absolutely crucial. There are some really great names out there that probably could be had for what I expect UM to be offering. I'd make Don Brown tell me no. Barry Odom. Jim Leavitt. Even a guy like Paul Rhoades was a really good DC before he took the Iowa State job. He's also got a great fiery personality and is a good recruiter.

Offensively, I'd love to see Richt open things up a little and take better use of the huge speed advantage he can accumulate recruiting down here. I've always liked his run game, but I'm not so sure that lining up in the I with a FB all the time is the best way to use the speed advantage he'd have down here.

And whatever you do, keep that **** Shyttenheimer the fck away from here. He's been a loser everywhere he's been.

He does like to use the FB quite a bit. Loves the FB wheel play. Also, when I was hanging around UGA (05-07) he had a FB there who was MONEY on 3rd and 1. Just gave it to him up the gut and it worked every time. I agree with maximizing our skill guys, but man it'd be nice to be able to convert those 3rd and shorts without so much **** hoopla...

Walter Tucker just did an actual backflip.

Advertisement
Worth noting that the Bobo hire for OC wasn't so much a hire as it was an internal promotion. Bobo had never called plays before but was the QB coach under Richt from the start. So he was groomed under Richt for that role (and apparently was somewhat the result of the AD wanted Richt to delegate more responsibility?)

What in the **** is the backstory there of the admin supposedly dictating to Richt so much? They made him become a CEO-type? Then they made him delegate certain responsibilities as they saw fit? Are these just excuses or is that one **** of a weird environment?

Lu, from what I've read (and the few UGA folks I keep in touch with) it was one **** of a weird environment. When McGarity came in (2010 I think) he started poking his nose into every aspect of the football program. Specifically, his "vision" of a head coach was somebody who strictly delegates to his coordinators on gameday - he wanted Richt out there kissing hands and shaking babies... or something... and being the face of the program. No idea why - Richt went along to get along, but he wasn't a fan and when the results started to show on gameday the AD turned it on him. People down here are flabbergasted that he got let go.

Worth noting that the Bobo hire for OC wasn't so much a hire as it was an internal promotion. Bobo had never called plays before but was the QB coach under Richt from the start. So he was groomed under Richt for that role (and apparently was somewhat the result of the AD wanted Richt to delegate more responsibility?)

What in the **** is the backstory there of the admin supposedly dictating to Richt so much? They made him become a CEO-type? Then they made him delegate certain responsibilities as they saw fit? Are these just excuses or is that one **** of a weird environment?

Not sure if the admin had anything to do with it, but Richt said he felt like it could make him a better coach by delegating more.

At least, that was the public spin when he gave the reigns to Bobo.

Bobo started calling plays in the 2006 season ...

Last edited:

Could not answer. I've read references to it but would love some verified info. Don't know the extent to which these are excuses. But it is interesting

Advertisement
This quote is from a knowledgeable Georgia fan on Pruitt's Georgia defense:

"What I did see from Pruitt was different looks against the same offensive formation. The plays were mostly the same personnel. But he would switch from a 5-2 front to a 4-3 front within the same game (GT for this recent example). The idea is to not give the QB and OL the same reads all game. Make them think and hopefully make some mistakes or at least lose a half step."

Last edited:
UGA fans were ready to kill Martinez. He actually played at Miami back in the day....great recruiter....not a good DC by any means.

Grantham.....runs a very complex Defense...under him UGA could get pressure on the QB....but run defense was not that great at all. Plus his defenses at Loserville aren't exactly tearing up college football.

Pass on both of those guys.

Pruitt is a cancer. He had a meteoric rise from high school to where he is now. True...he was d coordinator when FSU won the Natty , but he has gotten too big for his britches.

On another note, it was great to see Richt go after a top,flight d coordinator....shows he wants to win.

Does he have a preference of what he runs or does he leave that up to the coordinators?

Coordinators

Pruitt ran a 3-4
BVG ran 4-3 over

I believe Pruitt likes to run a 4-2-5 as his base defense. He likes o use multiple fronts with the same players.

He runs 3/4. He tried it at fsu his first year and scrapped it after a couple shady performances . They went back to running stoops defense

Overall, I'm hoping Richt will find some new blood on the defensive side of the ball.
Not liking what I'm reading about any of the above names. Hope he goes outside his
comfort zone for a true savage.

Advertisement

Lu, from what I've read (and the few UGA folks I keep in touch with) it was one **** of a weird environment. When McGarity came in (2010 I think) he started poking his nose into every aspect of the football program. Specifically, his "vision" of a head coach was somebody who strictly delegates to his coordinators on gameday - he wanted Richt out there kissing hands and shaking babies... or something... and being the face of the program. No idea why - Richt went along to get along, but he wasn't a fan and when the results started to show on gameday the AD turned it on him. People down here are flabbergasted that he got let go.

pretty much what I've seen Georgia people say about the situation. Richt basically messed with a double edge sword by giving play calling duties to Bobo as a natural right of passage but wasn't allowed to get them back even after Bobo left. McGarity wanted him to stay out in front on the hand shaking tour and rumors were that Schottenheimer and Sale were both Pruitt selections that he brought to Richt.

Here's an article discussing Ga's 3/4 defense leafing into the season. Pruitt is from the Saban tree, hence why he might join Smart in Ga or replace Smart in Bama.

I think the 3/4 4-3 debate is overrated , every defense uses 3 man and 4 man fronts . The term 3-4 or 4-3 is just the base, and these days nobody stays in base much.

Unless it's Al Golden

Checking in on Jeremy Pruitt and the UGA defense in Year 2

Last edited:
Here's and article discussing Ga's 3/4 defense leafing into the season. Pruitt is from the Saban tree, hence why he might join Smart in Ga or replace Smart in Bama.

I think the 3/4 4-3 debate is overrated , every defense uses 3 man and 4 man fronts . The term 3-4 or 4-3 is just the base, and these days nobody stays in base much.

Unless it's Al Golden

3-4 vs 4-3 debate is definitely overrated. 1-gap vs 2-gap (contain; 75% of the time) is relevant. Either way, I just can't imagine we're going to see some of the defensive packages we've been looking at for the last 3 years. Really confusing stuff. 3-4, DEnds in contain with 2-deep safeties against 4-WR (3 by 1). Cool beans. Any handoff automatically goes for 6 yards. I'm surprised some teams ever threw the ball. If all we see is less fear, it's an incredible step forward.

Here's and article discussing Ga's 3/4 defense leafing into the season. Pruitt is from the Saban tree, hence why he might join Smart in Ga or replace Smart in Bama.

Unless it's Al Golden

3-4 vs 4-3 debate is definitely overrated. 1-gap vs 2-gap (contain; 75% of the time) is relevant. Either way, I just can't imagine we're going to see some of the defensive packages we've been looking at for the last 3 years. Really confusing stuff. 3-4, DEnds in contain with 2-deep safeties against 4-WR (3 by 1). Cool beans. Any handoff automatically goes for 6 yards. I'm surprised some teams ever threw the ball. If all we see is less fear, it's an incredible step forward.

Yep.

1 gap vs 2 gap is the issue

Advertisement
how likely is it that UK fires Mark Stoops?

i've liked Odom and would give UH's Orlando a look.

DC hire is absolutely crucial. There are some really great names out there that probably could be had for what I expect UM to be offering. I'd make Don Brown tell me no. Barry Odom. Jim Leavitt. Even a guy like Paul Rhoades was a really good DC before he took the Iowa State job. He's also got a great fiery personality and is a good recruiter.

Offensively, I'd love to see Richt open things up a little and take better use of the huge speed advantage he can accumulate recruiting down here. I've always liked his run game, but I'm not so sure that lining up in the I with a FB all the time is the best way to use the speed advantage he'd have down here.

And whatever you do, keep that **** Shyttenheimer the fck away from here. He's been a loser everywhere he's been.

Being the top ranked OC in the country during his years at FSU, I'm sure Richt has a handle on how best to use Florida talent

I remember those FSU teams being pretty fast

Advertisement
There was a discussion on another board about RIcht's offenses and it centered on how at FSU and UGA his offenses stalled in the red zone.

Richt was not my #1 . Herman was. But if Richt can do some honest self-examination and find savages for DC, DL (Rocker?) and OL and consider his red zone offense then we may be onto something here.

These are UGA's red zone scoring %ages as ranked against the rest of CFB. I just selected the last few years as a sample.

2010: #12
2011: #72
2012: #36
2013: #48
2014: #44
2015: #95

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct?date=2015-12-04

He does like to use the FB quite a bit. Loves the FB wheel play. Also, when I was hanging around UGA (05-07) he had a FB there who was MONEY on 3rd and 1. Just gave it to him up the gut and it worked every time. I agree with maximizing our skill guys, but man it'd be nice to be able to convert those 3rd and shorts without so much **** hoopla...

Walter Tucker just did an actual backflip.

Hope he can do with Tucker what he did with William Floyd at FSU...although Hurlie Brown absolutely destroying Floyd on the goal line is still one of my favorite Canes plays of all-time. Coach Brown could ball!

BBCD!

Go Canes!

punch in Georgia Bulldogs Football coaches...You've arrived when you see Tracey Rocker as DL coach..

Advertisement
Back