Richt Coordinators

DC hire is absolutely crucial. There are some really great names out there that probably could be had for what I expect UM to be offering. I'd make Don Brown tell me no. Barry Odom. Jim Leavitt. Even a guy like Paul Rhoades was a really good DC before he took the Iowa State job. He's also got a great fiery personality and is a good recruiter.

Offensively, I'd love to see Richt open things up a little and take better use of the huge speed advantage he can accumulate recruiting down here. I've always liked his run game, but I'm not so sure that lining up in the I with a FB all the time is the best way to use the speed advantage he'd have down here.

And whatever you do, keep that **** Shyttenheimer the fck away from here. He's been a loser everywhere he's been.

Advertisement
DC

Brian VanGorder 2001-2004
Willie Martinez 2005-2009
Todd Grantham 2010-2013
Jeremy Pruitt 2014-2015

OC

Neil Callaway 2001-2006 (Richt called plays)
Mike Bobo 2007-14
Brian Schottenheimer 2015

Thank you, dude. Wanted to take a deeper look. On the surface, I don't see consistent patterns to those D-Coordinators.

VanGorder, Grantham, and Pruitt all run very aggressive schemes. Martinez, the only dud there, ran a very passive/Goldenesque scheme.

Does he have a preference of what he runs or does he leave that up to the coordinators?

Advertisement
DC

Brian VanGorder 2001-2004
Willie Martinez 2005-2009
Todd Grantham 2010-2013
Jeremy Pruitt 2014-2015

OC

Neil Callaway 2001-2006 (Richt called plays)
Mike Bobo 2007-14
Brian Schottenheimer 2015

Thank you, dude. Wanted to take a deeper look. On the surface, I don't see consistent patterns to those D-Coordinators.

VanGorder, Grantham, and Pruitt all run very aggressive schemes. Martinez, the only dud there, ran a very passive/Goldenesque scheme.

Sure, "agressive" vs "passive," but I don't see a particular style he's married to. I think that's a good thing. Rigidity has been our latest downfall, and while I typically don't want to overreact, I don't think you can swing "too far" in terms of adaptability.

I like Van Gorder the most of that bunch. The OC is going to be someone like Dorsey if Richt is calling plays.

DC hire is absolutely crucial. There are some really great names out there that probably could be had for what I expect UM to be offering. I'd make Don Brown tell me no. Barry Odom. Jim Leavitt. Even a guy like Paul Rhoades was a really good DC before he took the Iowa State job. He's also got a great fiery personality and is a good recruiter.

Offensively, I'd love to see Richt open things up a little and take better use of the huge speed advantage he can accumulate recruiting down here. I've always liked his run game, but I'm not so sure that lining up in the I with a FB all the time is the best way to use the speed advantage he'd have down here.

And whatever you do, keep that **** Shyttenheimer the fck away from here. He's been a loser everywhere he's been.

Big fan of that suggestion.

Advertisement
Why is Pruitt off the table? Wasn't the rumored riff between CMR and Pruitt dismissed?

At least one Georgia insider claims Pruitt will be our DC? If true, what's the Board's opinion on his defense?

Personally not a fan of Bobo or Schottenheimer offenses overall at UGA, so very happy Richt wants to call plays

Willie Martinez is a red flag, has been a DBs coach at a few places since he was fired as DC. Thought Grantham's Ds got pushed around for the talent level.

His DC hire is huge.

Bobo broke Georgia records in terms of scoring. Very successful with Bobo as their OC.

Why is Pruitt off the table? Wasn't the rumored riff between CMR and Pruitt dismissed?

At least one Georgia insider claims Pruitt will be our DC? If true, what's the Board's opinion on his defense?

He's not coming

Advertisement
Worth noting that the Bobo hire for OC wasn't so much a hire as it was an internal promotion. Bobo had never called plays before but was the QB coach under Richt from the start. So he was groomed under Richt for that role (and apparently was somewhat the result of the AD wanted Richt to delegate more responsibility?)

Worth noting that the Bobo hire for OC wasn't so much a hire as it was an internal promotion. Bobo had never called plays before but was the QB coach under Richt from the start. So he was groomed under Richt for that role (and apparently was somewhat the result of the AD wanted Richt to delegate more responsibility?)

Yup. Bobo was promoted from QB coach to run Richt's offense.

Advertisement
I do also think that for as "hands-on" as Richt likes to be with the offense, he also likes to hire a DC and let them do their thing without interference.

He runs a Singleback set (or did in the Alabama game I saw last night), which actually takes advantage of our strength in TEs.

What in the **** is the backstory there of the admin supposedly dictating to Richt so much? They made him become a CEO-type? Then they made him delegate certain responsibilities as they saw fit? Are these just excuses or is that one **** of a weird environment?

He does like to use the FB quite a bit. Loves the FB wheel play. Also, when I was hanging around UGA (05-07) he had a FB there who was MONEY on 3rd and 1. Just gave it to him up the gut and it worked every time. I agree with maximizing our skill guys, but man it'd be nice to be able to convert those 3rd and shorts without so much **** hoopla...

Advertisement
Back