Richt and Kuligowski going in-home with D.J. Johnson tonight

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Miami coaches will be in California tonight going in-home with high priority defensive line commit D.J. Johnson, who is fresh off his official visit to Coral Gables last weekend.

This is defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski's third trip to Sacramento since the season has ended, Mark Richt is joint Coach Kool this time around.

Johnson is locked in with the Hurricanes, especially after his parents got their first taste of UM last week.

Advertisement
Can't wait to see DJ in Orange and Green. Wish he were an EE and rooming with Garvin. Those two will be a wrecking crew along with Ford.

Anyone else they visiting on the trip, Pete.

If the kid is a lock to UM, why are we still flying across country for in home visits?

I'm not being a **** I just don't understand the process. Shouldn't we be spending those resources on kids we're still hoping to lure in?

Or is there a threat with DJ to still flip?

Pete, serious question. Is all this just part of recruiting? Why don't players who are "all in" tell the coaches to use their time landing players who are on the fence? I think the coaches would appreciate a HS senior and future player telling the coaches not to waste their time, that they are 100% and don't worry.

I understand this is the kids' time to shine and they enjoy the attention. I don't slight them for that. Just wondering.

Thanks.

If the kid is a lock to UM, why are we still flying across country for in home visits?

I'm not being a **** I just don't understand the process. Shouldn't we be spending those resources on kids we're still hoping to lure in?

Treating your commits like they don't matter after they commit is how they get flipped.

Advertisement

And why not check out other prospects on the West Coast while they're at it as well. Shore up a commitment and visit legit prospects in a talent-rich state sounds like a good way to spend your resources.

Treating your commits like they don't matter after they commit is how they get flipped.

Daily phone calls, FaceTime whatever is not treating them like they don't matter. We're like 2 weeks out and this kid has been a lock for a while now.

I just don't see the point like another poster said. The kid should tell the staff to go after guys that are still on the fence.

And why not check out other prospects on the West Coast while they're at it as well. Shore up a commitment and visit legit prospects in a talent-rich state sounds like a good way to spend your resources.

Because there are positions in high demand that we don't have anyone commited to. I would think that would be more of a priority.

But like I said, I don't understand the entire recruiting process. The way I see it is like this...

As a college student, in preparation for my finals, I'm going to focus less on the classes I already know I passed even with a bad exam grade. I will focus more on the classes that I could possible fail or receive a lower grade in.

If DJ was at least in the region I would understand, but the kid is 6/7 hours away 3 different time zones and supposedly a lock.

Edit: at this point in this recruiting cycle, we know what we need and we know who we're going for..we're not about to fly to the other side of the country to visit some other prospect two weeks out.

Last edited:

Maybe there wasn't another target who they could make it work tonight so richt decided to go out and visit a big time commit?

One thing I don't think any of us can question about this staff is that they are putting in the effort to recruit.

Advertisement
I don't mind them doing an in-home at all. Shows DJ he's a priority and gives Richt a private setting where the parents are in a comfortable environment and can get assurance that DJ's in responsible hands. Remember, they're sending their kid clear across the country to college. Richt hadn't done an in-home with him yet, I don't see the reason why people are complaining.

Actions speak. If they keep taking cross country flights to talk to him they must be a little concerned that he's susceptible to a flip.

Daily phone calls, FaceTime whatever is not treating them like they don't matter. We're like 2 weeks out and this kid has been a lock for a while now.

I just don't see the point like another poster said. The kid should tell the staff to go after guys that are still on the fence.

No 18 year old kid is ever truly solid until they sign, especially kids like this that are getting attention from everywhere.

We all loved our girlfriend when we were 18, as long as we were getting it in on the regs and hotter girls weren't in the picture.

Because they feel he is that important. Have you been paying attention to crootin at all? You can't take your foot off the pedal whatsoever.

Advertisement
Stop with the fear mongering. Coaches visit their commits after official visits that's what they are supposed to do.... dj is locked all the way in with Miami. Quit worrying about resources, it's not coming out of your pocket...Who else is kool supposed to be recruiting? Jon ford just shut his recruitment down, garvin enrolled. This is kools top target of course he's going to visit his commit...

Plus from the Washington 247 board

DJ Johnson is no longer an option.

So here's the deal on that: Washington had continued to be in strong contention with Johnson through the past two months. Johnson's commitment to Miami continued to stay solid, but there was some pull to stay back in the West, closer to home. In fact, as we hinted last week in this article, Johnson was looking to come back to Seattle again for a second time, unofficially, with both of his parents, however that is not on the menu now. Johnson spoke to Husky coaches Sunday night upon his return back from Miami and told them he was firm in his commitment to Miami and would go ahead and shut things down.

We heard that Johnson's parents felt more reassured about their son going all the way to Florida after getting to see the U up close. So cross that name off the list.

I don't mind them doing an in-home at all. Shows DJ he's a priority and gives Richt a private setting where the parents are in a comfortable environment and can get assurance that DJ's in responsible hands. Remember, they're sending their kid clear across the country to college. Richt hadn't done an in-home with him yet, I don't see the reason why people are complaining.

This is what they do, act like they have never experienced Miami recruiting kids across the country. They love to be in fear and think we lose everyone

He has been committed but I don't think the family has been too committed. Don't need to give them anything to think about or worry about. Would have to imagine its a rare kid that tells them not to bother coming. Also how many recruits are left? Richt only gets one in home with each recruit from my understanding, and then each assistant only gets one per week. I am sure they have things scheduled out so that it all fits in.

I do miss the daily travel plans like they had last year and all the tweets or whatever its called. Are they still doing those this year and people just aren't posting them or have they cooled down on them?

Advertisement

Because he's our top recruit, and you want to make sure he feels loved by the program. Simple as that. So they're getting out of the way early. Richt only gets on in home with every player. The last week and a half will be with the flips, as of now he's just solidifying the rest of the class.

Because there are positions in high demand that we don't have anyone commited to. I would think that would be more of a priority.

But like I said, I don't understand the entire recruiting process. The way I see it is like this...

As a college student, in preparation for my finals, I'm going to focus less on the classes I already know I passed even with a bad exam grade. I will focus more on the classes that I could possible fail or receive a lower grade in.

If DJ was at least in the region I would understand, but the kid is 6/7 hours away 3 different time zones and supposedly a lock.

Edit: at this point in this recruiting cycle, we know what we need and we know who we're going for..we're not about to fly to the other side of the country to visit some other prospect two weeks out.

I wasn't talking about 2017 prospects on the West Coast. A lot of good 2018 and 2019 talent out here.

elite talent you make sure they stay locked . Always stay one step ahead of your enemies

Advertisement
Back