Richt and brown on the backup qbs.

In the article it said Jarren had come down to earth a little bit after playing better competion, all of them are competiting and improving. I dont Think Weldon is a bad qb he just had a couple of bad scrimmages but seemed to be good in practices. 5 ints in a scrimmage is unacceptable no matter who you are though
I would take what's being said to the media about certain backup & positional races with a grain of salt. Everything's been closed to the public. Richt would have nothing to gain by giving LSU a better idea of what to prepare for. We'll probably see a few surprises on Sunday.

Advertisement
amazes me that even after a non stellar spring and summer by all 3 of our backups, that they still went all or nothing on MJJ and are now set on not taking a qb this cycle.

amazes me that even after a non stellar spring and summer by all 3 of our backups, that they still went all or nothing on MJJ and are now set on not taking a qb this cycle.
That sounds completely different than what coach richt said last week when he said all of them are progressing

Cmon broke.

You post a tweet with a link to an article. Not only that it's behind a paywall.

Cmon mane. You're better than this.

Here are the main relevant parts:

Added Brown: “Cade Weldon [has done] some nice things throughout the camp so far. He had a couple picks Saturday. Some were his fault and some weren’t his fault. But obviously you’ve got to do a better job of taking care of the football.”

The Canes’ backup QBs, in order of practice rotation during media viewing since fall camp began Aug. 4: redshirt freshman Perry, redshirt freshman Weldon and true freshman Williams.

In a one-on-one interview last week with the Miami Herald, Richt said he was “so proud of the younger guys’ approach now compared to what it was. It wasn’t good enough. It was not good enough and it was making me crazy. They weren’t even in the competition because they weren’t doing what it takes to be the man.

“Jarren is trying but he just started.

“N’Kosi has come light years in his approach to football. He’s got a little quiet confidence about him. I think he knows he’s talented. I think he knows he can do it. I think he knows that it also is more than that. Now that he understands it’s more than that and he really needs to be an expert at what he does and of what we’re doing and how we’re doing it, he’s seeing the value of that. I think before he thought he could drop back and if somebody weren’t open he could start scrambling and make a play, and he can a lot. He can. But you can’t build your whole offense around that.

Sounds like Perry has QB2 locked down and hopefully he will be running the show by the end of the season./QUOTE]
If that is your hope, it sounds like a potentially rough season. I hope our starter makes it through the season, personally. And deserves the spot.

Advertisement
what is supposed to say publicly? rip them? #forsure
Since When has coach richt or coach brown for that matter ever been known to sugar coat anything while being at Miami? Both of them have gave praises to the way the group has worked this fall.

Since When has coach richt or coach brown for that matter ever been known to sugar coat anything while being at Miami? Both of them have gave praises to the way the group has worked this fall.
They might be saying what they need to say to keep QBs from bolting.

I'm not frustrated by our current QB situation. I think we're in good shape for the foreseeable future.

Seems quite a few here have forgotten that Freshman QB starters are rare. Sure it happens but its more the exception rather than the rule regardless of the skill set of that Freshman QB.

IMO the frustration with Rosier drives the higher unreasonable expectations some have for our Freshman and Sophomore QB's.

Our young QB's aren't developing slower as CFB QB's ....... they are developing normally.
Good post. I agree with you and I will add that as fans we are naturally prone to letting our emotions get the best of us and taking extreme knee jerk type of positions on things. An experienced HC like Richt for example is able to take a much more thoughtful and judicious approach partly because coaches generally speaking tend to have a much wider perspective on things.

There are obviously many things that a seasoned 5th year senior with a full year of starting under his belt bring to the table despite their shortcomings. Having observed this situation at QB with Rosier, I have come to understand and appreciate the value Richt sees in a returning senior starter like Rosier. Rosier may be flawed but Richt values his experience and knowledge/command of the system because those qualities allow Richt to be able to manage the game better through a QB who possesses those attributes.

At the end of last season I was finished with Rosier and considered him to be nothing but a liability to our offensive production going forward. As the off season progressed through spring practice, summer workouts and finally fall camp, it started to become more and more apparent to me that Rosier would remain the starter, why he would remain the starter and why it's not necessarily a bad thing and may actually be a very good thing. I think that it is very possible and even likely that Rosier will improve significantly. Other than the reasons I stated above, I expect an improvement from Rosier based on the fact that he has legitimate competition that will push him, an improved offensive line, an embarrassment of riches at the skill positions and a HC/OC that have had an entire year to become more familiar with Rosier and what he does well and what he doesn't.

Now in terms of the quality of the QB position in general, I believe we have an extremely deep and talented group. I firmly believe that Perry, Weldon and Williams are all capable of being quality P5 starting QB's. I also think that Rosier is buying all 3 of them enough time to develop properly to Coach Richt's satisfaction.

Agreed. I too believe Richt is working diligently with all 3 backup QB’s and will have 1 solid, if not 2 good options to go to in things go south in a hurry with Rosier. Although I don’t see that happening like last year with him. I truly believe that Malik has improved not only enough; I think he’s improved well enough that he will surprise many a fan this season. And that he shall do it through a better mastery of Richt’s offense, better throwing mechanics, which will result in improved accuracy. Look for Rosier to impress greatly Game 1 versus LSU - so much so that he will only cement his position as the starting QB that much more.

Advertisement
The Williams crew that threw every other QB under the bus are conspicuously absent. SHOCKER
I'm not so sure about that. Jarren Williams is still a very talented prospect with great potential. He is however still a true freshman and while we have all seen true freshman starters at QB both here and around the country the fact remains that it is not something particularly easy to achieve. As far as our current situation is concerned, it is becoming increasingly apparent how much coach Richt values experience. Richt has repeatedly said how much he values Rosier's ability to get the offense into the right protection, formation etc....You will get this with the young QB's in various levels of success but not to the level a 5th year senior like Rosier can deliver it.

I still think Jarren Williams is the best prospect of the 3 young guys in terms of his ceiling and overall game but he obviously still has a lot to learn before he reaches that potential. I'm also extremely high on Nkosi Perry as I see him as having potential to be an explosive playmaker. The thing with Perry for me is that he came into UM as a very raw talent as he didn't receive the level of coaching that Williams did in high school. Williams came in as a much more polished quarterback in addition to being more focused.

Odds were always in favor of the 5th yr senior winning the job. I'm just excited about the upcoming season.

You guys are clearly sleeping on Tucker Beirne! He was pointed out to me by an LSU fan trying to make the "Thug U" title relevant again! We back, gentlemen.

I don’t think one scrimmage is indicative of one’s overall potential. I think Brown remarked that a few of the interceptions weren’t his fault; so, while I’m not making excuses for the young man, that’s important to note. Also, if Perry can’t separate from a 5 interception quarterback than that tells you a lot about his progression, too. Moral of the story: they both need to improve a lot, or else Jarren is coming for their lunch money

No it doesn't.

Advertisement
I wouldn't gloat too hard about the people that were wrong on Rosier being beaten out by now,....as it clearly only lowers our ceiling for the year (without a big upgrade in the run game) and puts things into perspective.

Not at all happy about tonight. Just saying. . . . . let's be real about who we are, and the fact that the book is out on Rosier. All of our conference foes have a copy.

And if Richt wants his son to stay in his position without any OC on board, he'd better show some signs of life from one of the youngsters.

Advertisement
Back