Rhett Lashlee VS Brent Venebals

Canes91

Freshman
Matchup I've been waiting for.

Brent has been playing predominantly Zone coverage this year with a Zone Blitz Scheme. Their corners have been playing off coverage as well.

D'eriq King has chewed Zone coverage up this year.
UL stacked the box he through for over 300 yards-off coverage
FSU played soft coverage he methodically marched down the field-off coverage
A DC like Venebals will take notice. And I see him challenging our WR at the LOS in press coverage and disrupting timing. Something our WR have not seen a lot this season yet and could have this offense issues.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Brent has been playing predominantly Zone coverage this year with a Zone Blitz Scheme. Their corners have been playing off coverage as well.

A DC like Venebals will take notice. And I see him challenging our WR at the LOS in press coverage and disrupting timing. Something our WR have not seen a lot this season yet and could have this offense issues.

Thoughts?
Set them up on trips and fake the bubble screen and slide the wr right past. That’ll ease up the pressure a bit lol.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's a great matchup but not the deciding factor for this game. It will be Baker vs Elliot that will decide this game--and unfortunately for us that is a disadvantage to the Canes.

I'll just go ahead and say this; If Baker's defense somehow comes to Clemson with a good game plan and manages to hold Clemson to 29 points--inclusive--I promise not to speak a single ill word against him for the next two seasons.

Thoughts?
Its simple both guys will try to get the match ups they want. Both guys will try to take something away from the other teams. Who's scheme is better along with who's adjustments are better will win the battle. Who holds up the best in the trenches the Miami O line or the Clemson D line? That is where King's legs come into play. Same thing with Lawrence and Clemson.

Advertisement

Thoughts?
Hope Manny and Rhett don’t wait until time is running out to put in the younger receivers to make some things happen on OF. After the first quarter if Harley and Pope are struggling Rhett need to sub them for Payton and Redding or Smith. X could be a good slot guy. This lineup could create better match up problems for Clemson dbs.

After this game these guys if used will grow up in a hurry being thrown in the fire. IMO they can’t play any worse than Pope and Harley.

Thoughts?
Our WRs have broke free several times and I think we only found Pope and Jordan with some nice deep throws. We definitely have to find a way to keep their secondary honest but keep them in cover 2 packages as well. Jordan and Mallory are going to be huge problems for anyone we face as long as our backfield keeps up the good work...and once we start clicking more on the deep routes, oh boy!

Venables is absolutely the bar though, if we can find a way to keep his defense on the ropes, especially with the depth they have on the D-line now, we're see great things.

Advertisement
I’m less worried about our offense as I am with Etienne giving our LB’s fits. Lashlee has already shown that he can adjust on the fly and has an answer almost any defensive scheme.

I’m less worried about our offense as I am with Etienne giving our LB’s fits. Lashlee has already shown that he can adjust on the fly and has an answer almost any defensive scheme.
linebackers will determine if we win or lose. We continue to lose gap integrity like we have been those 25 yard gains turn into 50 and TDs Eitene only needs 6 inches of daylight

I think Lashlee is good enough to counter Venables. They'll both have "wins" and counter each other. I'm more worried about the defense right now and stopping Etienne. Lawrence is good, but I think stopping Etienne is key.

Advertisement
Back