Rewatching Notre Dame at Miami 2017

Advertisement
Was in the WEZ. I was pretty much blasted on screwdrivers by the time I entered the stadium. There were a **** of a lot of Miami fans that day ready to watch their football team kick some ***.

Notice I did not say hope. Miami was READY to kick someones ***, and anything less than that was unacceptable.

That Bandy interception let the asylum doors blow open.

Pandemonium. People dancing, arms raised.

ND fans were sullen and saddened, but the older ones looked around with absolute incredulity. It was as if we all stepped into a time machine back to 1989, and the Canes and Canes fans of old returned.

For a brief moment, it WAS The Orange Bowl.

Halftime, people were singing and chanting.

They were cheering in the BATHROOMS for ***** sake.

They were still singing and chanting at the end of the game, and they were STILL doing it coming out of the parking lot.

I literally flew from Madison, Wisconsin, outrunning a snowstorm to be there on time.

Its an experience I will never forget for the rest of my life.

https://youtu.be/pFRq8nY3VSc

Last edited:
Advertisement
Kn[]_[]ckles3o5;3228837 said:
The OB came to The Rock that night. Crowd was old school.

That whole day was on another level as it pertains to Miami football, just a quick snapshot of where we're headed.

I remember being at the gym in the morning and glancing at my phone to see what was up with GameDay...it it just blowing up about how great it was. I lost all focus on my workout.
No **** the interception was easily in my top 20 Hurricane moments.

My father is a lifelong Cane fan and local football coach/commish at Coral Reef and Suniland.

He indoctrinated us into the culture day one. Had never seen Miami play ND live and hates them with a passion. For his birthday my brother and I bought him tickets to the game and took him.

He coached Trajan as a 65 lber. That pick 6 is one of the best football moments of our lives.

Man my first game live was the ND soldier field game under golden al. What a piece of ****.

You had to be there.

I rewatched on TV the next day.

It was one/one billionth the experience of being there.

You will NEVER KNOW if you weren’t there. NEVER. Don’t even pretend.

Bandy interception. Nirvana. The seventh level of heaven. Strangers hugging. The one domers in our section slumping to the ground.

Knowing in that instant that we had finally turned the corner.

No, not necessarily for an NC run yet, but now a team to be reckoned with after 15 years. No longer an afterthought. Corner turned.

The AH4 were there. THEY FELT THE FORCE. They had to feel the world was changing then.

This x1000

I think losing Charles Perry near the end of that game really hurt us down the stretch. He provided us very quality depth, and it was evident that we were missing fresh legs in our LB core in our last 3 games.

That game was an Instant Canes Classic, up there with the ‘89 game. Yes, we ****ed away the advantage at Pitt and laid an egg in Charlotte and lost to Wisky, but by that time, the team had run out of gas and players.

The ND game was the annunciation to the country that Miami was back as a power school. Not up there with Clemson and Bama, but we’ll on the way to being “back”, as Greg Cote would write that weekend.

Advertisement
There are a shlt ton of posers that post here.

I also understand that there are people that live far away that don’t have the resources to have attended.

But to me, those of you that were there, those are my cane brothers. If you live down here and you didn’t go, unless you had an emergency, or you’re hand to mouth poor, you’re just a blowhard bullshlt artist and not real fans. The rest of you that were there felt the love. You know what I mean.

Hate to say it. But about 90% of the posters here are posers that don’t go to games. I can tell.

Remember walking in the parking lot. The tailgate was so f-ing lit I knew there was no way we would take an L that night.

There are a shlt ton of posers that post here.

I also understand that there are people that live far away that don’t have the resources to have attended.

But to me, those of you that were there, those are my cane brothers. If you live down here and you didn’t go, unless you had an emergency, or you’re hand to mouth poor, you’re just a blowhard bullshlt artist and not real fans. The rest of you that were there felt the love. You know what I mean.

Hate to say it. But about 90% of the posters here are posers that don’t go to games. I can tell.

True. Heck I drove down from bama for the game. From tailgate to the end of the game the atmosphere was on fire.

Advertisement
I just want to reiterate the impact the fans and the atmosphere. I'm sure the Notre Dame players thought it would be a hostile enviroment, but when that fan chucked a beer bottle at their window and broke it, at that moment, they knew they ****ed up.

For the first few minutes, fans were on the edge of their seats. It was loud, but a bit of a nervous loud.

Then after we went up 7-0, the stadium collectively decided that it was time. Then it became full bodied, loud, full of hate and venom.

The WEZ, and in particular the student section, made it very clear that we were going to make it very hard for Notre Dame. It was a game within a game: how uncomfortable and miserable can we make it for the players and their fanbase.

I believe we made Notre Dame take a timeout or recieve a Delay of Game penalty from the constant vocal barrage. That drove the crowd further into insanity.

I remember when Notre Dame took a knee right on the goal line when it was clearly returnable and I called the entire state of Indiana, South Bend, Notre Dame, and any football personnel at Notre Dame a bunch of "God**** ***** *** **** sucking mother****ers", and that they should go back to their "god**** piece of **** school."

Last edited:
I was not at the ND game, but have to imagine that the Bandy pick six is up there with Carlos Jones.

I just want to reiterate the impact the fans and the atmosphere. I'm sure the Notre Dame players thought it would be a hostile enviroment, but when that fan chucked a beer bottle at their window and broke it, at that moment, they knew they ****ed up.

For the first few minutes, fans were on the edge of their seats. It was loud, but a bit of a nervous loud.

Then after we went up 7-0, the stadium collectively decided that it was time. Then it became full bodied, loud, full of hate and venom.

The WEZ, and in particular the student section, made it very clear that we were going to make it very hard for Notre Dame. It was a game within a game: how uncomfortable and miserable can we make it for the players and their fanbase.

I believe we made Notre Dame take a timeout or recieve a Delay of Game penalty from the constant vocal barrage. That drove the crowd further into insanity.

I remember when Notre Dame took a knee right on the goal line when it was clearly returnable and I called the entire state of Indiana, South Bend, Notre Dame, and any football personnel at Notre Dame a bunch of "God**** **** *** **** sucking mother****ers", and that they should go back to their "god**** piece of **** school."

Ummm, ok. Harassing visiting fans and throwing crap at the bus is punk behavior...sorry.

Advertisement
[TWEET]955288750334103558[/TWEET]

[TWEET]955396772171538437[/TWEET]

REAL TALK.

Like I said, you had to be there.

When I re watched the game next day, one of the things that stuck out to me was that it did not sound anywhere near as loud on TV. I was asking people around me how that could be, the only thing we could figure is that they muted the shlt out of it. It did not sound anywhere near as loud on TV. Fact.

They don't "mute" the crowd, per se. There are mics picking up the crowd noise and actively cancelling it out of the signal coming from broadcaster mics, field mics, etc. The mics used by the broadcast team are very directional. They still pick up some ambient noise, but it's not as crazy as you'd think. Either way, the level of the crowd in today's broadcasting world will have very little effect on what is heard at home. They can pipe as much or as little of the crowd noise through the mix as they want. If the engineers wanted to, the crowd could sound like a whisper at home.

I thought they struck a pretty good balance between the crowd noise and the broadcasters. Obviously it takes away from the feel of the game when you're at home, but that's the sacrifice.

I remember when Notre Dame took a knee right on the goal line when it was clearly returnable and I called the entire state of Indiana, South Bend, Notre Dame, and any football personnel at Notre Dame a bunch of "God**** **** *** **** sucking mother****ers", and that they should go back to their "god**** piece of **** school."

:ohlord: .... they had no chance

The game was pandemonium. For the first time, in a long time, it felt like a big game at the Orange Bowl. Everyone on their feet the entire game, yelling loud as ****. High fiving and hugging random Canes fans in my section. For one night, at least, it felt like it did back in the day. I remember tailgating with a renewed sense of confidence. Almost like we knew Miami was going to win. It had been a while since I was confident about a big game.

Advertisement
Back