Rewatched 2017 FSU Game Tonight

I think that game began changing how Manny Diaz called defense. It was a perfect example of gratuitous zone blitzing. There was zero reason to zone blitz an OL who could barely block and a QB who could only make one read. By dropping our DE and trying to confuse them, all we did was open up opportunities for conversions. If you fast forward to 2018, he called 3rd down blitzes in a totally different way. This will be a huge, huge point of interest as it relates to Blake Baker.

Drove me nuts that season.

Advertisement
You say “cute”, to me it’s just aggressiveness. Manny’s mantra has always been aggression and attacking. And it can get him in trouble at times. But it’s how we play defense here now. You have to take the good with the bad. You can’t just shut down every single opponent you play in 2019 with the rules geared the way they are. The game is tailored for offensive football. So you gotta have a point of emphasis and go with it. Manny’s is attack, attack, attack. But I do think at times he can go a bit overboard within a game. And at times a good coordinator can exploit that.

I thought BC’s gameplan last year was the best I’ve seen in the 3 years Manny has been here. Sure, he’s given up more yards and points than that game. But rarely to teams that were that much less talented that his defense. But BC used motion, deception, misdirection, tempo, formation....all 100% designed to use Miami’s aggression against itself. And it worked. But I think we can all agree that it’s a **** of a lot more fun to watch the kids play defense now than when turkey **** was here. So you’ve gotta live with what he does. It’s successful. But it can be exploited if you have the right plan and some personnel to execute.

Turkey **** 😂😂😂😂😂

I think that game began changing how Manny Diaz called defense. It was a perfect example of gratuitous zone blitzing. There was zero reason to zone blitz an OL who could barely block and a QB who could only make one read. By dropping our DE and trying to confuse them, all we did was open up opportunities for conversions. If you fast forward to 2018, he called 3rd down blitzes in a totally different way. This will be a huge, huge point of interest as it relates to Blake Baker.

we always criticized Golden and others for failing to change. One beacon of hope I have for Diaz is his willingness to adapt. this ^^^^^ is one example.

Advertisement
Back