Rewatched 2017 FSU Game Tonight

Dghustla

Junior
My son asked me to put on football and I still have that game DVR’d so I played it some interesting things from that day now looking back 2 years later

1) Baker Mayfield and OU lost to ISU
2) Jalen Hurts was a heisman candidate and was putting up some good numbers for Bama.
3) ND was only ranked 21st in the nation but would pass us before getting stomped out.

As far as the canes...
Man I hate the Pats. But I’m excited to watch BB-8 ball again. He was really just starting to scratch the surface after all the injuries, terrible coaching, terrible scheme and terrible QB play he endured.

I truly miss Ahmon Richards. What baller he had so much more potential on the football field and it’s really sad that we won’t get to see it.

Still can’t believe Delaney got tackled by a WR on the ground when he had a wide open pick 6.

What equipment manager let Knowles claim the #20 should be fired on the spot. It’s kinda become a running joke around here about how many plaus
He gives up but he almost singled handedly lost that game for us.

Malik we didn’t get the Happiely ever after but we’ll always have 2017 in doak.

Frenchie dancing on the sidelines with a torn ACL before we ripped their hearts out.

Advertisement
Incredible game and of course the ending of all endings, in our favor of course. Somehow I’m thinking by the time we meet them in Doak again this season that Enos will have the offense humming with whoever wins at QB throwing darts, our RB’s firing on all cylinders, the WR/‘sTE’s making lots of YAC, and our defense living in the opponents backfield. Which is this case will be crushing Blackmon as a twig so we can get a taste of Hornibrook without his great savior of an OL - and institute some much needed payback on our way to clearing out the seats before the 4th quarter type of game.

Advertisement
I think that game began changing how Manny Diaz called defense. It was a perfect example of gratuitous zone blitzing. There was zero reason to zone blitz an OL who could barely block and a QB who could only make one read. By dropping our DE and trying to confuse them, all we did was open up opportunities for conversions. If you fast forward to 2018, he called 3rd down blitzes in a totally different way. This will be a huge, huge point of interest as it relates to Blake Baker.

The main takeaway from that game is Braxton Berrios. I want to say it was a legendary performance, but that doesn't do it justice. The kid had to be held back like a **** Rottweiler before the game, then comes out and absolutely puts the team on his back and leads them to the first win in 7 years over your most hated rival.

I'll talk about that performance for 30 years. He had a lot of big plays for us in 2017, and some previously too, but that entire performance from literal beginning to end is what you dream of when you come to the University of Miami. A plaque or something should be made for that. He was as ready to play that particular football game as any kid we've ever had here.

Career high in receptions (8), career high in TDs (2), season high in punt return yardage (38), and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on the impact he had on the game.

Big time players make big time plays in big time games. Yes, I think that 2017 performance certainly qualified.

Advertisement
What equipment manager let Knowles claim the #20 should be fired on the spot. It’s kinda become a running joke around here about how many plaus
He gives up but he almost singled handedly lost that game for us.

They should switch knowles number with another safety every once in a while. It should trick opposing offenses.

They should switch knowles number with another safety every once in a while. It should trick opposing offenses.
Knowles can't seem to buy a break. mustache-faces-28.jpg

I think that game began changing how Manny Diaz called defense. It was a perfect example of gratuitous zone blitzing. There was zero reason to zone blitz an OL who could barely block and a QB who could only make one read. By dropping our DE and trying to confuse them, all we did was open up opportunities for conversions. If you fast forward to 2018, he called 3rd down blitzes in a totally different way. This will be a huge, huge point of interest as it relates to Blake Baker.

Manny has a rep as being “ too cute “ or trying to be the smartest guy in the room. And it showed his first year and a half.

Sometimes it was so unnecessary for some of those zone blitzes. I get the concept , bringing pressure while still not selling out fully . But a third and 14 that’s just insane. Which was a reason why we used to get killed on so many third and longs.

It seems like he calmed it down the last season and a half, it also looked like we were disguising the blitzes better. Not showing their hand until right before the snap.

There’s no reason to get cute on third and fifteen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Although minor and petty it annoys the **** out of me every time I watch the game and hear the moron in the booth saying "look at Rosier telling Miami fans to get into it" just prior to the last 3rd & 10 conversion...what??? Are you retarded, Rosier was taunting the FSU fans.

//end of rant

This.

Diaz’s biggest problem has been not trusting the front 4 enough.

Over time he got a lot better.

The main takeaway from that game is Braxton Berrios. I want to say it was a legendary performance, but that doesn't do it justice. The kid had to be held back like a **** Rottweiler before the game, then comes out and absolutely puts the team on his back and leads them to the first win in 7 years over your most hated rival.

I'll talk about that performance for 30 years. He had a lot of big plays for us in 2017, and some previously too, but that entire performance from literal beginning to end is what you dream of when you come to the University of Miami. A plaque or something should be made for that. He was as ready to play that particular football game as any kid we've ever had here.

Career high in receptions (8), career high in TDs (2), season high in punt return yardage (38), and that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface on the impact he had on the game.

Big time players make big time plays in big time games. Yes, I think that 2017 performance certainly qualified.

This! One of the single greatest individual performance we’ve ever seen in the rivalry. When you add context that his QB wasn’t that good, breaking the streak, having a 10 win season. It’s even that much more amazing.

Advertisement
This! One of the single greatest individual performance we’ve ever seen in the rivalry. When you add context that his QB wasn’t that good, breaking the streak, having a 10 win season. It’s even that much more amazing.

In my mind it’s WAY up there in the lore of all-time performances. I don’t know where it ranks, but it’s near the top. That kid became a Hurricane legend that afternoon.

Manny has a rep as being “ too cute “ or trying to be the smartest guy in the room. And it showed his first hear and a half.

Sometimes it was so unnecessary for some of those zone blitzes. I get the concept , bringing pressure while still not selling out fully . But a third and 14 that’s just insane. Which was a reason why we used to get killed on so many third and longs.

It seems like he calmed it down the last season and a half, it also looked like we were disguising the blitzes better. Not showing their hand until right before the snap.

There’s no reason to get cute on third and fifteen.

You say “cute”, to me it’s just aggressiveness. Manny’s mantra has always been aggression and attacking. And it can get him in trouble at times. But it’s how we play defense here now. You have to take the good with the bad. You can’t just shut down every single opponent you play in 2019 with the rules geared the way they are. The game is tailored for offensive football. So you gotta have a point of emphasis and go with it. Manny’s is attack, attack, attack. But I do think at times he can go a bit overboard within a game. And at times a good coordinator can exploit that.

I thought BC’s gameplan last year was the best I’ve seen in the 3 years Manny has been here. Sure, he’s given up more yards and points than that game. But rarely to teams that were that much less talented that his defense. But BC used motion, deception, misdirection, tempo, formation....all 100% designed to use Miami’s aggression against itself. And it worked. But I think we can all agree that it’s a **** of a lot more fun to watch the kids play defense now than when turkey **** was here. So you’ve gotta live with what he does. It’s successful. But it can be exploited if you have the right plan and some personnel to execute.

You say “cute”, to me it’s just aggressiveness. Manny’s mantra has always been aggression and attacking. And it can get him in trouble at times. But it’s how we play defense here now. You have to take the good with the bad. You can’t just shut down every single opponent you play in 2019 with the rules geared the way they are. The game is tailored for offensive football. So you gotta have a point of emphasis and go with it. Manny’s is attack, attack, attack. But I do think at times he can go a bit overboard within a game. And at times a good coordinator can exploit that.

I thought BC’s gameplan last year was the best I’ve seen in the 3 years Manny has been here. Sure, he’s given up more yards and points than that game. But rarely to teams that were that much less talented that his defense. But BC used motion, deception, misdirection, tempo, formation....all 100% designed to use Miami’s aggression against itself. And it worked. But I think we can all agree that it’s a **** of a lot more fun to watch the kids play defense now than when turkey **** was here. So you’ve gotta live with what he does. It’s successful. But it can be exploited if you have the right plan and some personnel to execute.

When I say “ too cute “ it’s because he’s always did some blitzes or creative stuff when it’s absolutely unnecessary. Even all the way back at Texas it was his rep. Actually multiple coaches have said this about him.

I’m an eagles fan , I watched Jim Johnson and Buddy Ryan defenses ,there’s a difference in being aggressive and being irresponsible. Third and 15-20 yards isn’t the time for exotic looks , or some kindve zone blitz. You leave your self open to screens and a missed tackle away from a huge play. There’s a reason why we constantly got hit for third and forevers, at a rate I’ve never seen.

To his credit he’s calmed that down , especially on third and long. Hence why our ranking for third down d has improved so much.

Advertisement
Back