Revisiting the 2017 and 2018 classes

HurricaneHauk

Freshman

Terrible recruiting class in hindsight

12th ranked class with 24 players recruited, most players would be be seniors now

6 guys transferred

7 guys have contributed nothing either to injury or just plain being bad

Had 4 guys leave early in Bandy, Thomas, Garvin, Deejay Dallas

Rest who have contributed are : Navaughn Donaldson, Nkosi Perry, J.Dean(Juco), Mike Harley, Jon Ford, Amari Carter, Corey Gaynor

Suppose to be another good class ranked 8 with 23 commits

7 transfers

12 guys who have contributed with Greg Ross our 3rd lowest ranked recruit after transfer being the biggest stud followed by Brevin Jordan our highest remaining player after transfers

4 guys who have done nothing

Advertisement

12th ranked class with 24 players recruited, most players would be be seniors now

6 guys transferred

Rest who have contributed are : Navaughn Donaldson, Nkosi Perry, J.Dean(Juco), Mike Harley, Jon Ford, Amari Carter, Corey Gaynor

7 transfers

12 guys who have contributed with Greg Ross our 3rd lowest ranked recruit after transfer being the biggest stud followed by Brevin Jordan our highest remaining player after transfers

You just killed my night by posting this after we got a commitment.

6 guys transferred

7 transfers

The stories of our classes, pimp. Our attrition rate, along w bust rate has to be the highest in the nation. Which is why we are relying on the portal to band aid everything.

Advertisement
still think it's too early to pass judgement on 2018 ... we're expecting big years from alot of guys in that class: scaife, campbell, blades, mallory, jordan, davis, pope, hall, silvera, ivey, frierson, wiggins, GR)

i count five starters on offensive (scaife, jordan, campbell, davis, wiggins)
five on defense (blades, hall, silvera, frierson, ivey, GR)

Last edited:
still think it's too early to pass judgement on 2018 ... we're expecting big years from alot of guys in that class: scaife, campbell, blades, mallory, jordan, davis, pope, hall, silvera, ivey, frierson, wiggins

five on defense (blades, hall, silvera, frierson, ivey)
Greg too. Crazy how the best end in the country can fly under the radar

Advertisement

6 guys transferred

7 transfers

also in today's game your always gonna see high transfer numbers, some for legit reason some not ... different athlete with more emphasis on player empowerment

still think it's too early to pass judgement on 2018 ... we're expecting big years from alot of guys in that class: scaife, campbell, blades, mallory, jordan, davis, pope, hall, silvera, ivey, frierson, wiggins, GR)

five on defense (blades, hall, silvera, frierson, ivey, GR)

Well I never said 2018 was bad or good but almost a 1/3 of the class transferring out is not good

Advertisement
Well I never said 2018 was bad or good but almost a 1/3 of the class transferring out is not good

I'm very curious how that compares with other schools and their 2018 class. 7/23 transfers after just over 2 years... right about 30% transfer rate for the class. Seems high, no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the FBS transfer rate is up around 20% on average with the current transfer rules.

Advertisement
I'm very curious how that compares with other schools and their 2018 class. 7/23 transfers after just over 2 years... right about 30% transfer rate for the class. Seems high, no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn the FBS transfer rate is up around 20% on average with the current transfer rules.

Exactly. This is the type of thinking you don't see on these boards, ever. People look at 13 transfers from 2 classes and think it must be catastrophic. You have to compare to other schools to be able to assess that.

I don't have numbers on the rest of the country, but we can look at transfers in as a reasonable proxy: King, Roche, Borregales, Phillips, Martell, Kennedy, Osborn, Hill, Nnoroka (sp).

We lost more than we gained, but not by much.

It's also possible that Miami is just a place that is more prone to both transfers in and transfers out, but as long as we get the balance right, that shouldn't be a huge problem.

A couple of caveats: I may have missed a name or two, and I may have not lined up the periods perfectly.

Also, and I think this will eventually have to change, but the counter rules make transfers-out costly. At minimum it creates roster management complexity for the staff.

But overall, I think we just need to assume a big chunk of each class will transfer moving forward.

2017 class was AIDS, especially on the o line, horrendous job by rickety and crew..when the Captain and Harley are the best remaining players from a class, it says it all..

The stories of our classes, pimp. Our attrition rate, along w bust rate has to be the highest in the nation. Which is why we are relying on the portal to band aid everything.
I’m not sure about that, but the attrition rate has been really high at times. Part of the challenge is having two head coaching changes in five years. Each change leads to higher than normal attrition.

The 2008 and 2012 classes had absurdly high attrition. A third of each class was gone within two years. 2010 was not much better.

2017 class was AIDS, especially on the o line, horrendous job by rickety and crew..when the Captain and Harley are the best remaining players from a class, it says it all..

Take a look at 2016 if you're a fan of AIDS

2 guys with career ending injuries
8 transfers (Irvin at least was here a while)
7 contributors
2 JAGS

Advertisement
Back