Revisiting 2018 Class

nvlahos

Junior
Premium
This class was a Top 10 class and came after our 10-3 2017 season. We signed 23 players

Tier 1 - Guys who have lived up to or exceeded their talent or on track to (8)

- Greg Rousseau
- Brevin Jordan
- Will Mallory
- Jordan Miller

Borderline Tier 1-2 - Need to See More
- Cam'Ron Harris
- Gilbert Frierson
- Al Blades
- Nesta

Tier 2 - Disappointing so far but have shown signs at times (6)

- DJ Ivey
- DJ Scaife
- John Campbell
- Mark Pope
- Gurvan Hall
- Dee Wiggins

Tier 3 - Busts/JAGs (9)

- Lorenzo Lingard
- Jarren Williams
- Brian Hightower
- Bubba Baxa
- Marquez Ezzard
- Cleveland Reed
- Nigel Bethel
- Realus George
- Patrick Joyner

The 2020 season and 2021 class is starting to feel very similar. I pray we don't waste this much talent again due to bad coaching, culture, and evaluations

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just for reference. Every transfer on that list is doing nothing except for ezzard. And even if they are playing none are major impact guys

Advertisement
How can classes that just got here or haven't even arrived "feel very similar"?
He means 2020 looks to be a good year on the field with a strong class by ranking to follow. He's implying the 2018 class fell short of expectations so far and that he hopes 2021 is the one that helps us take the next step towards competing for the playoff.

Most of the transfers are out of state kids.only tri county transfer is Bethel.this class has been good most of are starters are from this class

Last edited:
Advertisement
I stand by the philosophy that with every recruiting class 33% will be accolade worthy, all American or conference, 33% will be starters and serviceable backups and 33% will do nothing.

Mallory isn't tier 1
I'd put Blades & MAYBEEE Nesta tier 1
Ivey, Pope & Wiggins are tier 3
I was excited as **** when we got Hightower, turns out he was just another soft Cali kid lol

Joyner is a beast man he just isn't getting a chance.

Advertisement
This is precisely why it's so important to stack (at least) 3-4 of these classes in a row. You're always going to have guys who are busts, guys who transfer, get injured, whatever. It happens everywhere. Stacking classes means you eventually distill out a lineup that can do some damage and also have the depth to mitigate in-season losses.

That's a really good class, particularly on defense. We're forgetting what an absolute stud Rousseau is. He might be a top 5 draft pick.

They're also only in their 3rd year. We're so used to guys going pro early that we forget many good college football players have 4 and 5 year careers.

Good summary. I agree with Mallory as Tier 1. If other teams were drafting our players, he would go high. I'd flip Nesta and Miller because he's been a more impactful player, although Miller has exceeded modest expectations.

Jarren's struggles hurt the class, but it's not bad. Scaife and Campbell need to become above-average starters. They still have two more years after this season.

Advertisement
Cause I wouldn’t say he’s been disappointing. He hasn’t been schemed in enough, but has really developed this year as a great blocker and is on the path to be a big time TE if we use him more
Hes playing hurt but he cant block worth a ****. When healthy he is a threat in the pass game.
I like him alot as a player I just dont think he is tier 1 yet..I think he has alot more progression to get to his ceiling. He can do it to

Jarren and the OL make us feel like this was a bust class, but it constitutes half of this year's starters on a 5-1 team. There will be several kids starting on Sundays from this class.

What we need to do is string together 3 of these in a row, and somehow find a top tier QB to lead us. 2020+2021 is a great start.

Jarren and the OL make us feel like this was a bust class, but it constitutes half of this year's starters on a 5-1 team. There will be several kids starting on Sundays from this class.

What we need to do is string together 3 of these in a row, and somehow find a top tier QB to lead us. 2020+2021 is a great start.
QB is the most important position. Williams had all the natural talent in the world. Strong arm. Accurate. Good size. Mobile kind of. But our oline got him killed, bad OC’s misused him and his own stupidity led to his early demise and current landing spot at a juco. The OL still has a chance if they take to coaching.

Advertisement
Back