Restrepo talks relationship with Van Dyke, comparisons to Berrios

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
For 2020 3-star ATH Xavier Restrepo, attending Paradise Camp late last month was about more than just showing out against good competition and meeting famous former Hurricanes. Restrepo finally got to meet his future quarterback, 4-star prospect Tyler Van Dyke from Connecticut, for the first time in person and the two have already built an immediate connection.

“We’ve talked via phone, Twitter, and text,” Restrepo said. “He’s an amazing dude, personally and quarterback-wise, on and off the field. He’s a cool person to be around.”

Restrepo also gained some chemistry with Van Dyke on the field, as the Deerfield Beach receiver quickly became Van Dyke’s favorite target in 7-on-7 play at Paradise.

“It was awesome, he made my job a lot easier and I made his job a lot easier too,” Restrepo said. “It’s just something special – already that click is just unstoppable.”

A major attraction of Paradise is being able to interact with current and former NFL that played at UM and come back to take part in the event, but Restrepo’s favorite interaction of the weekend came from a guy that wasn’t even at the event in person.

“It was awesome, there was a lot of guys,” Restrepo said. “After I ran a route, DeeJay Dallas actually called Braxton Berrios (on the phone), and I talked to him for a little bit. It was awesome to talk with a guy like that who you see on TV and try to learn things from. To be able to talk with him was amazing.”

The comparison between Restrepo and Berrios as quick slot receivers is a common one: does Restrepo see the similarities?

“We have a lot of things in common actually,” Restrepo said. “We’re both versatile slot guys, we can play both outside, inside, punt returner, kick returner. Again, he’s an amazing athlete, there’s not anything bad you can say about him. Anything you ask him to do, he’s going to do it for you.”

With spots in the 2020 class getting harder to come by, the 5-10 185 pound prospect is actually focused on two 2021 guys that he’d like to add to Miami’s roster, with one being a former UM commitment Restrepo is working to bring back on board.

“I’m trying to get James (Williams) and Tim Burns, the DB from Northwestern,” Restrepo said.

Although he focused purely on WR as a junior, Restrepo plans on playing both receiver and DB as a senior. UM originally took him as an athlete when they took his commitment back in May; is there any more clarity on his position at the college level?

“I don’t know yet, we’re going to see how senior year goes, whichever side I feel more comfortable,” Restrepo said.

While he might not know the exact position he’ll start at in Coral Gables, Restrepo is sure that he won’t be taking anymore visits to other programs for the foreseeable future; he is locked in on the Canes and improving his game.

“Right now, I’m just focused on the season,” Restrepo said. “I’m just focused on winning a state championship at Deerfield Beach High and excelling with my teammates."

After transferring to Deerfield in the offseason from St. Thomas, Restrepo feels he is already fitting into the culture that comes with being a Buck.

“It’s awesome, it’s a family over there - it reminds me a lot of over here (Miami),” Restrepo said. “As soon as I stepped in, they welcomed me with open arms, it’s just an amazing crowd to be around.”

Advertisement
This kid seems to have all the intangibles he needs to be a solid go to guy on 3rd and 4 or 5 for us down the line.

Also glad to see he's a Cane through and through cause if I remember correctly, Deerfield hasn't been kind to the U in recent years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Berrios: 4.52 40, 3.81 shuttle
Restrepo: 4.58 40, 3.84 shuttle

Actually Restrepo shuttle is 4.16. That’s a huge difference cause that’s what you look for in an elite slot wr. Short area quickness.
Also as far as explosiveness Berrios in Highschool had a 40 inch vertical
Restrepo had a 32.50 inch vertical.

Those to me are huge differences. If you disagree then that’s you.

Actually Restrepo shuttle is 4.16. That’s a huge difference cause that’s what you look for in an elite slot wr. Short area quickness.

The vertical is valid. But if you listen to his interview he recorded a 3.84 in back to back attempts at the Under Armour Camp.

40 and shuttle are a micro tick behind. I’m also not looking for a 40 inch vert at slot receiver, especially when Lance’s data shows athletic testing actually correlates to success least for WR compare me to all other statistics.

Advertisement
Berrios: 4.52 40, 3.81 shuttle
Restrepo: 4.58 40, 3.84 shuttle

That’s my memory too....very close measurables. Plus, those numbers are from Restro’s Jr. Year in high school. For Berrios, were those numbers from high school, college or NFL Draft Combine?

Answering my own question, Berrios’ numbers published by the Patriots:

5’9”, 184 lbs
4.4 forty
4.18 short shuttle
36” vert
9’2” broad

Those are excellent numbers for a slot receiver. Restrepo in high school is VERY similar.

I think this kid is gonna ball at WR, returning punts and leading other players. In 2018, the lack of Berrios’ leadership on offense was painfully obvious. Adding a player and leader like Restrepo is a great move by Cane coaches.

Last edited:

Either way restrepo still a really good athlete , berrios just happens to be one of the most athletic guys we have had in the last decade or so

That’s my memory too....very close measurables. Plus, those numbers are from Restro’s Jr. Year in high school. For Berrios, were those numbers from high school, college or NFL Draft Combine?
Those are a Berrios high school numbers. I wanted to compare them at same stage. Berrios ran 4.44 at pro day.

Advertisement
Back