Official Restarted Poll: 2022 CIS End of Year Awards Presents Slurper of the Year. The Sunshine of CIS

Slurper of the Year

• @GoCanes!! (Not to be confused w/ 15-0 Go Canes!!)

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • @WeBallinBoyz

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • @TheOriginalCane

Votes: 25 32.1%
  • @ItsAUThing.com

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • @Bender

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • @WanderFranco (aka the ever lovable Jagr)

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tend to agree. I'm not saying there is a right way to be a "fan", but I will never understand a fan who constantly wipes their *** with the program, focusing on the same negative points and dismissing any and all potentially positive news (in favor of rehashing the negative).

We need starting caliber DTs!
<Gore commits>
Gore is too small to play NT at P5 level.
<Deen commits>
Deen doesn't play the 1-tech, we need a 1-tech NT.

Though I agree with still need a 1-tech NT, I'd prefer we take a moment to celebrate the signing for what the kids bring to the table before jumping directly to the needs they don't address. But I don't consider those fans mopes (they're pessimists, but not mopes). The mopes are guys like this:

<Gore commits>
Can he play WR? Seems too short for outside, but maybe the slot?
<Deen commits>
Doesn't matter if Gattis is still the OC. Not that he's that good, but Deen could get 3 sacks a game and it won't make a difference when the offense can't score two ******* touchdowns!

This is a great synopsis and I agree completely. But we have people here who are, in my mind, even worse than this.

Because their schtick is to not comment at all, or very little with very little passion about the positivity, and just avalanche the tears on every thread that’s negative, again and again.

I just came up with something that’s impossible but fun that would prove my point. I wish there was a way to query every thread posted and put it into a “mope” or “slurper” bucket. Again, impossible, because even if you could identify it one way or the other, which bucket does it get dropped into when the thread inevitably turns into a food or wresting discussion??

But for the sake of this nonsense idea, to prove the point of what I’m saying, if every single thread was A or B, I guarantee you that you’d see a CLEAR trend with volume of posts from certain people only piling into the mope threads vs the slurpers. And that’s what I just can’t understand. You’re on a Miami Hurricane football message board. Let’s face facts, we’re all losers here. Explain this place to anyone who doesn’t follow sports this way and they’ll have you committed. So to actually occupy your time with this space and then only use that time to pile negativity onto the thing you supposedly support while virtually never being happy by the things that should make you happy is incredibly bizarre behavior.

Advertisement
@GoCanes!! (not to be confused with 15-0 @Go Canes!!)
@WeBallinBoyz
@TheOriginalCane
And last but certainly not least, our fearless leader @DMoney
@Bender

I am honored to present our esteemed nominees for 2022 Slurper of the Year. These fine gentlemen are the eternal optimists. Mario could go 5-7, lose by 40 in every loss, pillage their village, kick their cat and they would remain passengers on the Mario train.
what an honor. except you got us backwards.. dip****. that other dude was screaming 16-0 with spring included

I don't really see @OrangeBowlMagic as a slurper, though I can understand why people include him. I see him as more on the optimist side and sometimes rationalizing bad acts/results, but he is still critical of the program and acknowledges its failings. I don't think the true slurpers do that.

Instead of this Yes/No, Mope/Slurper dichotomy, I try to think of posters on more of a scale:

Slurper --- Enabler --- Optimist --- Realist --- Pessimist --- Prohibitor --- Mope

I'd guess about 2/3 of CIS falls in the middle three (though most people who call themselves "realists" are just pessimists/optimists who are unaware of their own bias).

Pretty accurate.

I'm dead in the middle, but I'm taking shrapnel because I post accurate facts that rebut inaccurate myths and exaggerations.

Advertisement
If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve.
William Tecumseh Sherman @TheOriginalCane

1674151439251.jpeg

Pretty accurate.

I'm dead in the middle, but I'm taking shrapnel because I post accurate facts that rebut inaccurate myths and exaggerations.

Although I do mostly agree with this, I would add that you do seem to have more encounters "taking on" the myths and exaggerations propagated by people on the right of my scale compared to those on the far left. Not saying that it's intentional (or wrong), and it may just be that there are more people on one side trading in myths and exaggerations, but that's my observation. For what it's worth I know I do the same... this is a fan site, after all, and I love of my alma mater.

The f^ck lol I wanted kiffin

I just don’t deal with stupidity or overreactions on the board. We’re year 1 into a full rebuild of the entire football program. There’s money flowing that hasn’t before. But alright then, let’s duel.

Come At Me Bring It GIF by Game of Thrones

Last edited:
Although I do mostly agree with this, I would add that you do seem to have more encounters "taking on" the myths and exaggerations propagated by people on the right of my scale compared to those on the far left. Not saying that it's intentional (or wrong), and it may just be that there are more people on one side trading in myths and exaggerations, but that's my observation. For what it's worth I know I do the same... this is a fan site, after all, and I love of my alma mater.

That's fair.

But we are also in Year 1, and it seems strange to always get the "but FIU" Bros to tell us how overrated Mario is in his first year.

Once you get more data points, you have more evidence. So by the end of Manny's tenure, we could talk about his Miami *****-ups and not about what he did at Texas.

Advertisement
IMO there are a lot of people far more slurpy than me here, but if people disagree, that’s cool. I think I’m more towards the optimist point of your scale, but where it probably gets confused is I just don’t understand being a mope at all. Especially at this point.

If you wanted to mope at the end of Manny’s tenure, I wasn’t disagreeing at all. But being a full blown crybaby about every single thing and only posting on negative topics while avoiding every single thing that could be construed as positive, at a point where we’re 12 months into actually caring about football here for the first time in 20 years….I simply don’t understand that at all.
This

Advertisement
This is the way with so many things. Because one faction is screaming like their hair's on fire and you explain it's not as bad as they're making it out to be doesn't mean you're automatically on the side of their sworn mortal enemies.

Advertisement
The silent majority on this board are the real slurpers. Volume posters are like Lepers, afraid of the sunshine.

Advertisement
Back