Remembering the Turnover chain

I wonder what those chains are worth now. My understanding was Manny owned them and that they were valued well into 5 figures At the time.
Don't ask me to reference this, but I'm sure they were on loan from a Miami jeweller - Diaz might have bought the first one, but the rest were on loan.

Advertisement
The minute that Miami lost to a four-win Pittsburgh team to end the 2017 regular season finale with a road game thud, that thing needed to be retired.

If not them, after a 38-3 conference title game loss to Clemson where Dabo Swinney mocked it in the locker room with his victorious team... and if not THEN, at least after a double-digit loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl, where Paul Chryst and the Badgers players mocked the Canes after beating them at HardRock.

Instead, Manure went back into the lab and dreamt up a new incarnation Touchdown Rings when finally taking over a year later in 2019.

Great prop when you're winning. A complete abortion when you're losing.

Having to sheepishly put that thing away when a turnover was reversed against No. 1 Alabama in 2021, down 27-0—or breaking out those dumb rings after finally getting on the board down 41-10... mortifying.

Advertisement
The minute that Miami lost to a four-win Pittsburgh team to end the 2017 regular season finale with a road game thud, that thing needed to be retired.

If not them, after a 38-3 conference title game loss to Clemson where Dabo Swinney mocked it in the locker room with his victorious team... and if not THEN, at least after a double-digit loss to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl, where Paul Chryst and the Badgers players mocked the Canes after beating them at HardRock.

Instead, Manure went back into the lab and dreamt up a new incarnation Touchdown Rings when finally taking over a year later in 2019.

Great prop when you're winning. A complete abortion when you're losing.

Having to sheepishly put that thing away when a turnover was reversed against No. 1 Alabama in 2021, down 27-0—or breaking out those dumb rings after finally getting on the board down 41-10... mortifying.
The touchdown rings were the dumbest thing ever created. Right there I knew Manny would be a complete ******* buffoon and a joke of a HC. The turnover chain was played after 2 years.

I def watched a lot of the canes. I liked the team a lot growing up but I’m all Vol. I’ve been on these boards for a while

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

I think we all loved it at first, but after awhile it started to become played out and gimmicky. The thing about stuff like that is, if you’re going to do it, you dang sure better back it up. The old Miami teams were extremely flashy and talked mad junk, but they always backed it up on the field.

Advertisement
Maybe the chain was the wrong emblem.

We might have won all our games with a Turnover Fannypack.

We'll never really know . . .

It was gimmicky as all ****, but it did its job the year we introduced it. We needed something, anything, to make us get Miami quality air-time since we were actually playing good football. It fizzled out when we fizzled out.

Advertisement
Rings were awful. Chain was cool when you were winning and winning big, but became a crutch. Only really works when your team is top 5 and crushing people.

Advertisement
Back