Remember This as Rad is Announced

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
That there are people around this university and in positions of power that either advocated for or would've had no problem with Eddie Nunez being introduced today as Manny Diaz watched on as current and remaining head football coach.

Now compare that insane thought to what is actually happening and never let anyone gaslight you about how this played out (see Manny Navarro calling David Epstein a "hero" today).

Extra point- I was as critical/concerned as anyone about the Columbus Crew grabbing so much power. As it stands today, I'll say God bless them. Nunez apparently had some* support with some of them but they absolutely didn't force that hand and they clearly haven't forced Zo to any extent that it hampered the Rad signing or the AD search in general. I can absolutely live with that level of power dynamic where they are the power voices within the booster or even BoT community but that we have a strong independent AD too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The loser nerds in the Hecht and on the BOT would've loved Nunez and Manny along with some snide comments about unrealistic fan expectations. This is a refreshing outcome given the way we've operated the last 15 years.

It's still kind of weird to me that our new football coach basically interviewed the AD, but at least we still got a great end result.

Advertisement
Who’d a thunk it just a few short weeks ago that we’d be where we are today. When the rumors started not that long ago about the possibility of us getting Mario AND Rad, I, like many others, had serious doubts. Yet, here we are with both. I’m truly shocked like I just won Powerball and it hasn’t sunk in yet.

That there are people around this university and in positions of power that either advocated for or would've had no problem with Eddie Nunez being introduced today as Manny Diaz watched on as current and remaining head football coach.

Now compare that insane thought to what is actually happening and never let anyone gaslight you about how this played out (see Manny Navarro calling David Epstein a "hero" today).

Extra point- I was as critical/concerned as anyone about the Columbus Crew grabbing so much power. As it stands today, I'll say God bless them. Nunez apparently had some* support with some of them but they absolutely didn't force that hand and they clearly haven't forced Zo to any extent that it hampered the Rad signing or the AD search in general. I can absolutely live with that level of power dynamic where they are the power voices within the booster or even BoT community but that we have a strong independent AD too.
I think Mario needs to hire you to stand on his chariot and whisper this into his ear as they did back in the day.

Advertisement

Let's hope he arrives soon. Basketball program needs a huge shakeup correct?

R95BYSngEmGs0 (1).gif

:100:

Been trying to explain to people that there was a BOT Civil War, and it wasn't about "who did you vote for in the last election", it was about "not being afraid of a strong Athletic Department" and "how UM needs to spend money to make money". Let's not forget, some of these same "old guard BOT" people were leaking negative information about Shalala's original acquisition of UHealth. And I'm not saying the UHealth acquisition was perfect, but I've seen plenty of corporate mergers or acquisitions that take some time to synchronize and start making serious money.

As for the Columbus Crew, this was always about Jose the shark and a few remora fish. Jose Mas and Joe Echevarria are silent assassins. Don't worry about those guys being emotional blubbering fools who hire some guy because of the good old high school memories. Bullcrap. They want results, and they aren't hiring a "buddy" if that buddy can't deliver.

Thats why i was so critical of the nunez reports. There is still a power struggle within the bot and it seems the good guys won. At least for now. I usually hate contracts over 5 years but im actually glad we gave mario 10. Will make it very hard on the losers on the bot to change anything.

If nunez was hired it was going to be a continuation of the last 15 years.

Advertisement
:100:

Been trying to explain to people that there was a BOT Civil War, and it wasn't about "who did you vote for in the last election", it was about "not being afraid of a strong Athletic Department" and "how UM needs to spend money to make money". Let's not forget, some of these same "old guard BOT" people were leaking negative information about Shalala's original acquisition of UHealth. And I'm not saying the UHealth acquisition was perfect, but I've seen plenty of corporate mergers or acquisitions that take some time to synchronize and start making serious money.

As for the Columbus Crew, this was always about Jose the shark and a few remora fish. Jose Mas and Joe Echevarria are silent assassins. Don't worry about those guys being emotional blubbering fools who hire some guy because of the good old high school memories. Bullcrap. They want results, and they aren't hiring a "buddy" if that buddy can't deliver.
**** without the cedars medical purchase, we may not be where we are today.

Let's hope he arrives soon. Basketball program needs a huge shakeup correct?

Basketball needs to hire a couple of great assistants like Larranaga used to have, develop a succession plan, and provide the resources to recruit nationally. If you fired Coach L tomorrow, UM is not yet at a level where we would have top HCs beating down our door to take the job. Triage what we have, and either promote one of the (recently hired) ace assistants, or go out on the market and throw around some serious coin to steal someone's HC.

Nunez was trash. What a lame. Going to the media and carrying on about how he willingly pulled out of the running knowing he wasn't going to get the job. Then either he or a close buddy of his comes on the board to blast the program...eff that guy. May that Gator never be a part of this program in this life or the next.

Advertisement

True. Too many people are either "100% hate Donna" or "100% love Julio" and they can't see the situation for what it truly is, which is a complex and messy evolution.

Did Donna stumble out of the gate with Cedars/UHealth? Absolutely. But if she had hard-passed on that acquisition, we would not be in this position today.

Has Julio delivered what was promised when he was hired, bringing all his real-world medical expertise? **** no, but with putting Joe Echevarria in place (and a few others also deserve some credit), then we also don't get to this position today.

I want to give credit to both Donna and Julio. Donna started strong and ran into some problems in her last few years. Julio started off as a complete dud, and I respect his delegation more recently (though I'm still frustrated by the lost time and lost opportunities).

There is no need to force one's self into "Team X" or "Team Y". UM has been very blessed to turn an overpaid acquisition into a polished gemstone.

Let's all be happy this month. 10 years of reading mopey threads is enough already.

ehhhh..... they have recently made it an additive.... it was a costly albatross.

Zig, when they should zag, accreditation change (unlikely), Medicare policy change (likely at some point).... and the UHealth black ledger quickly and deeply heads red from their current "cash cow" product line of cancer. Pay patient elective surgery remains a strong horse, but that market can only provide so much pie.

Primary care has been, and will likely remain, a loss leader. Churn and burn is about the only way they can break even. You would be surprised at what you think vs actual salaries of primary care physicians.

UHealth's size continues to outpace the overall growth of our University of Miami at a fair clip. If the rest of the University relies on in-kind support from the medical side*, that will (not if) come crashing down one day very painfully. I suspect one day you see a separation of the entities.

*All things UHealth, not just operations

Last edited:
once Jose's name got leaked that he was part of the group working on M + D, he knew he had to deliver at least Mario and he wasn't going to quit until then or get outspent or outworked.

ehhhh..... they have recently made it an additive.... it was a costly albatross.

Zig, when they should zag, accreditation change (unlikely), Medicare policy change (likely at some point).... and the UHealth black ledger quickly and deeply heads red.

UHealth's size continues to outpace the overall growth of our University of Miami at a fair clip. If the rest of the University relies on in-kind support from the medical side*, that will (not if) come crashing down one day very painfully. I suspect one day you see a separation of the entities.

*All things UHealth, not just operations

I figured it was already operating as separate entities given how large UHealth is expanding over all the area with their practice group acquisitions

Advertisement
Back