Remaining schedule & UVA discussion

Advertisement
I am honestly shocked it took until post 32 for someone to show their diaper like this. You guys are slacking.
Yeah, cause that never happens with this team. Backup, first time starting qbs don't look like Dan Marino against them. ****** kickers don't regularly drill 50 yarders against them and they don't make average defenses look amazing. Yup, those things never happen with this team

Interesting. it shoudn't really be subjective. I assume these guys are just using totally different metrics to evaluate.
One thing that is not often discussed but I believe is a real factor is the circle that game factor Miami faces all year long.

Literally every team on our schedule, every year circles the Miami game as one of their most important games of the year. Teams always get up to play Miami. How many ACC teams circle the pitt game or the GT game etc. UVA for example this week probably looks for VT as their most important game followed fairly closely by Miami. Basically what I’m saying is that more often than not we see the best version of our opponents.

You’re forgetting the biggest thing about going against UVA. Bronco’s history against Manny. He’s the one that set the original game plan AND they’ve always played us hard the last couple years. I can definitely see Manny losing his job come this weekend.

I found it interesting that we have the 9th hardest remaining schedule in the country, when you consider upcoming opponent rankings and adjusted for home/away. And we've already played 3 teams who are 11-1. Kind of crazy to me that we could wind up having one of the hardest schedules in the country, I certainly didn't think that'd be the case in the off-season and also with how awful the ACC seems to be.

So, for those of you who want Manny canned yesterday and who think he has no shot of doing anything positive here, the next few weeks should do him in. And for those of you who think that, provided he turn it around and reel off a bunch of wins, it would save his job and potentially prove he's not a complete lame duck, doing so against the 9th hardest schedule should provide some optimism. Contrary to popular belief, he's still the coach, so this chapter is yet to be written officially. The next 5 weeks will make or break him, IMO. (I know, I know, he's already broken. We get it). UVA, UNC, NC State, Pitt, and GT. Starting with UVA......wow, is their defense terrible. Worse than ours, if you can believe it (and they haven't played Alabama). I take absolutely nothing from the High School game we played Saturday, and neither should anyone else. But a step in the right direction on offense and possibly a glimmer of hope that one of the young QBs might actually be able to win some games for us would be to come out and put 450+ yards on UVA on Thursday night. Their defense is so, so, so, so bad. Check out these ranks:

Scoring defense -- 109th (36.7 PPG allowed)
Total defense -- 120th (7.05 YPP allowed)
Rushing defense -- 114th (237 YPG allowed), also 120th in YPC allowed at 5.97. 6 yards per carry allowed!
Passing defense -- 98th (266 YPG allowed), also 102nd in YPA allowed and 107th in passer rating allowed
TFLs -- 111th (4 per game)
Sacks -- 104th (1.33 per game)
First downs allowed -- 119th (26.3 per game)
3rd down conversions allowed -- 112th (48.78%)

These numbers are from their 3 FBS games, Illinois, UNC, and Wake. UNC definitely has an explosive offense as we know, but Wake and Illinois do not. So they literally do nothing well. They suck at every single aspect of playing defense. Can our offense put up some fireworks? Or will we still be stuck in the. Mud?

If they have an outstanding defensive day I see it as an OL problem.

Advertisement
believe it or not, the most sound ACC team Ive seen thus far is Wake Forest

Sam Hartman is a solid QB, Clawson is a real coach, and they have a group of super seniors and transfers that are solid. Athletically this is a better team than the ones that Jim Grobe had success with...

Advertisement
Back