Rellyrell’s Review (Class of ‘23)

Advertisement
These meritless, what if do nothing for me. We needed QB, WR, DT, CB, S we didn't do enough in those areas. Last I checked Samson and Francis don't throw passes, catch passes, stop the run or defend the pass.
The point is that logic isn't getting anywhere near an objective grade. Which is fine if that is how you are choosing to grade it, but essentially you aren't grading the actual Recruiting+Portal class as a B-, you are grading our current roster as a B-.

I think the grade needs to have a curve based on actual school quality (an A class from FAU isn't an A class from UF). But you also should be able to separate our current roster holes from the actual quality being added to to the roster.

Another example - You take our exact recruiting class and put it on Ohio State, and you'd probably give them an A-/A because they don't need WR or QB, but you'd be giving them an absolutely elite OLine haul along with a great Defensive haul as a whole. So for us the grade is a B- while for tOSU its an A, even though same exact quality. So again the ultimate point is if you are trying to actually grade the Recruiting+Portal class you shouldn't be factoring in our current roster as much as you are/super heavilly.

Anyways, QB is a strategy thing where I really don't care that we didn't get a high cost HS guy that wasn't going to play next year. If we are going to spend, spend in the portal and keep adding high cheap HS high 3 star/low 4 star talents yearly. CB we added 2 starters, and 2 other highly rated HS guys. Missing on Cormani doesn't make this a bad CB haul. DT we added 2 rotational/starters in the portal and one very good HS recruit, Slightly below average sure.. WR I think we all know we're adding another in the Portal, definitely missing a top tier guy, so if you want to give this a really low grade go ahead. I think that'll change, plus people are acting like the guys we brought in are bums.

Like if we added Cormani and ****ey basically everyone would be giving this class an A+ grade.... 2 players aren't the difference between an A+ and B-.

The point is that logic isn't getting anywhere near an objective grade. Which is fine if that is how you are choosing to grade it, but essentially you aren't grading the actual Recruiting+Portal class as a B-, you are grading our current roster as a B-.

I think the grade needs to have a curve based on actual school quality (an A class from FAU isn't an A class from UF). But you also should be able to separate our current roster holes from the actual quality being added to to the roster.

Another example - You take our exact recruiting class and put it on Ohio State, and you'd probably give them an A-/A because they don't need WR or QB, but you'd be giving them an absolutely elite OLine haul along with a great Defensive haul as a whole. So for us the grade is a B- while for tOSU its an A, even though same exact quality. So again the ultimate point is if you are trying to actually grade the Recruiting+Portal class you shouldn't be factoring in our current roster as much as you are/super heavilly.

Anyways, QB is a strategy thing where I really don't care that we didn't get a high cost HS guy that wasn't going to play next year. If we are going to spend, spend in the portal and keep adding high cheap HS high 3 star/low 4 star talents yearly. CB we added 2 starters, and 2 other highly rated HS guys. Missing on Cormani doesn't make this a bad CB haul. DT we added 2 rotational/starters in the portal and one very good HS recruit, Slightly below average sure.. WR I think we all know we're adding another in the Portal, definitely missing a top tier guy, so if you want to give this a really low grade go ahead. I think that'll change, plus people are acting like the guys we brought in are bums.

Like if we added Cormani and ****ey basically everyone would be giving this class an A+ grade.... 2 players aren't the difference between an A+ and B-.
My thoughts on this post are 5-7.

Agreed. People that expect Mario was supposed to complete a near total roster flip in one recruiting season are being unreasonable. It was an excellent class. Every position was a position of need, we addressed those needs in many of the positions. This is a multi year overhaul not a minor rebuild.

Great writeup. You were being gracious with that DT grade. It should be an F...90% of the posters on here had no idea who the **** Thomas Gore was before we started eyeing him. Brandon Deen either. And while both will be good pieces..neither are War Daddys. And we literally lost 2 of them and didnt replace either. (Miller and Jackson) We are in serious trouble at DT unless Leonard Taylor turns into Gerald Willis-2018 /Warren Sapp-1994 and is a one man wrecking crew. Which isnt out of the question btw.

We couldnt have done any better at OL. No way around it. People are nitpicking. Put it like this..3 of the guys we got could have commanded ANY PRICE they wanted on the open market. (Cohen, Samson, Mauigua) ANY. Blank check territory. Thats all you need to hear IMO regarding this OL haul. Samson got too carried away and started asking for an NFL level payday but that shows you what he ultimately ended up getting. lol

Glad someone finally just said it and didnt put a "but" or "however" or "well..hes a little overrated" or "Did you see him get burnt by that WR from Utah in the AA game" or "He dropped in the ratings so everyone sees he isnt a generational level player anyway!" or "hes going to be a headcase!" or "He will be a bust because of the people around him" or "Damaris film is actually better when you really break it down!!" ....Losing Cormani SUCKS!! Period!! Smh.

Love this class though. Solid B+ haul and consensus top 5 class across all outlets. Cant complain too much.

Advertisement
Big fan of Colbie but I agree. Can he produce when the other teams #1 CB is on him or when he’s bracketed? Very nice player but we need to get him help for sure
He's not a #1 WR. He can be effective, and if we had 5 dudes who were as good as him, we'd be in good shape. Still doesn't mean he's a true 1. The room needs a serious infusion of top end talent, and depth.

Thanks, OP, for your writeup and thoughts.

My view of this class and team as it stands currently is that it lacks speed starting with the WR position. There's not a speed threat on the roster in my opinion. Sure, Chris Johnson is fast, but a true frosh who's unproven at this point. Missing out on a veteran portal #1 WR with size and speed in Dec/Jan was a failure.

The RB position is another major question mark. We are counting on Henry Parrish as our #1 and at best he's a #2/#3 type RB. He's quick but not fast. Throw in an often-injured Chaney, plus Citizen who's coming off a torn ACL and it's a hope and prayer. Again, failure in the portal to land a solid RB was disappointing. Hopefully Fletcher steps in and is ready to go day 1 of Fall camp. Not expecting much from Chris Johnson in year 1.

The DT position is a D -. You need to land more than 1 DT (Horton)from HS in your class year after year especially when you have the exodus of DT's leaving your program in the same year. Do better Mario Cristobal and staff.

Oh boy, Safety. We have one safety in my opinion on the roster that can play the position, Kinchens. James Williams is a LB who's doing a poor job playing the safety position. And we don't have a third safety at the moment. Just names on the back of a jersey running around at GreenTree.

Overall, the HS recruiting was fantastic this past cycle. Kudos to Cristobal for a top 6/7 class. MC will have to duplicate the efforts in 2024 in order to build a winning program going forward. In addition, the transfer recruiting has to improve. Too many holes still remain.

Advertisement
I wonder how many years it will take for about half of this board to realize it finished as the #7 class, not "Top 5".

Advertisement
Advertisement

2 players if they are difference makers of the highest order that also fill major needs, can 100% be the difference between a B- and an A+. I don’t think the 2023 was a B-, I think it was an A- for the record. Still, I always hear that one player doesn’t break your class, sure but one player or two can 100% be the difference between very good and elite.

2 players if they are difference makers of the highest order that also fill major needs, can 100% be the difference between a B- and an A+. I don’t think the 2023 was a B-, I think it was an A- for the record. Still, I always hear that one player doesn’t break your class, sure but one player or two can 100% be the difference between very good and elite.
B- isn’t very good though, like by definition it’s barely above average.

Advertisement
Back