Rellyrell’s Review (Class of ‘23)

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
Now that all of the signing periods have been completed, with Miami coming up empty on NSD, I wanted to assess our current class, including the transfer portal.

First off, kudos to Mario & the staff to navigate a tumultuous season, while pulling in a solid class in his first, full cycle. The 2008 Class, however, taught me a valuable lesson; never fully focus on the team ranking per recruiting services vs. evaluating the totality of the class, itself. As an example, Team A can recruit 25 kids that included 10-5* & 15-4*. On paper, that would be the #1 class in the nation, but if 50% of that class are strictly DEs, & the other 50% are strictly LBs…u get the point.

So here are my grades for our class, per position:

QB: C+
Though I soured on Rashada as his season progressed, the fact is we solely focused on him, when red flags began to present themselves. Our QB room is a mess, & relying upon one QB via the HS ranks, a 3* at that, is risky. This is not to say Williams won’t be the next Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, or Justin Herbert, but it is to say our QB room is in dire straights & this not the way to repair it in 2023.

RB: A-
We missed on Baxter & Young, but what a great consolation prize securing the #7 RB in the nation in Fletcher & a surging 4* RB in Chris Johnson. Fletcher showed his value & abilities in The Army All American game. He appears to be the anti-Thad Franklin, & we have a great change of pace duo in the class of ‘23. We saw the RB room look good on paper, to becoming a sore spot in the blink of an eye in ‘22, & these two immensely help restore this room.

WR: B-
This is a room that needed an infusion of talent. This is also a position that had so much talent in our back yard where we left a lot of meat on the bones (pause) from a HS & Portal standpoint. We added two dynamic guys w/ the ball in their hand, but both are on the smallish side. While they will be dynamic playmakers, neither feel like a WR1 as opposed to WR2’s. It would’ve been great if they were paired with some of the other beast that were available.

OL: A+
What an absolute haul, both recruiting via HS & Portal! If there was any position on the field I was least concerned w/, it was OL. Both Mario & Alex know what it looks like, can drop names of guys they’ve coached up to the next level, & it paid dividends this cycle.

TE: A
The room already is stacked, & adding a top 5 TE in the nation, along w/ an in-line TE that can be flexed makes this a good haul that’ll shore up an already nice room

LB: A-
Best LB recruiting we’ve had in quite some time, & got **** did we need it! Hit on 3 absolute studs w/ Papo, Malik, & Francissssssssssco Mauioga, along w/ a newly minted 4-star LB in Bobby Washington. Also, picked up some nice depth pieces in Spencer & Pulliam. Not being able to snag Hill after the smoke build up sucked, but Strong & Company identified another weak spot, & absolutely attacked it.

DE: A
Deep, rotational class. Some raw talent (Acheampong, Horton) mixed in w/ some guys who should see the field early (Bain, Wayne), along w/ a vet who will see significant time via from The Portal in Deen. This room is already primed to be the anchor of the defense, & it just got better.

DT: D-
INEXCUSABLE RECRUITING HERE. Literally whiffed on everyone. The only reason y this room is not a complete F is b/c at least we were able to snag a G5 DL from The Portal (Gore) who can play all across the line. This room has been a thorn in our side for a while, & it’s unimaginable for a school that’s produced Sapp, Brown, Wilfork, Tez, Maryland, Joseph, etc. have struggled mightily to recruit here. Not in love w/ that room as a whole, so really dropped the ball here.

S: F
Again, a lot of meat left on the bones (pause) from this position. Love Antoine as a prospect, but right now we have Kam, JW0, & Markeith Williams in the entire S room. 3 guys. This was a room where we needed to recruit, at an absolute minimum, 2 guys & we didn’t fulfill that. Here’s praying to Kam & JDub stay healthy all season.

Edit: With Jackson now requesting to be released from his NLI, we have zero prospects at a position of dire need.

CB: B
Listen, picking up the Brown brothers, along w/ Stafford was good, but let’s keep it 100, substituting an oft injured CB in Roberts via The Portal for arguably a top 5 player in the nation regardless of position, absolutely sucks ***. I’m not going to lose sleep over any recruit who spurns us, but I’m not going to CIS the situation either & act like that chit didn’t sting. Cormani immediately changes the dynamic of the squad, especially this room. Nevertheless, a very good haul under the circumstances.

ST: N/A
Replacing Hedley “The Gawd” is going to be tough. Just b/c Joyce is from Australia like Lou doesn’t mean he’ll be Lou II, & b/c I’m not familiar w/ his game, I can’t comment on him. Just hoping he’s of the same caliber. ****, as long as he’s not remotely like Feagles, I’ll be happy.

Overall, I give this class a B as it took care a couple of needs (OL, LB, RB), added to others (DE, TE, CB), while leaving other rooms head scratching (DT, S, WR). Hopefully with the portal reopening later this yr, we’ll be able to change some of these rooms with better impact/depth players.

Thoughts & Discussion?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think the biggest need imo was the offensive line. It’s a great foundation for the next couple of years. despite the cons of this class I still think we can win more games going forward. All in all I think Mario did a great job with this class.

great assessment.

Few Comments:

1. Wow was your WR score generous. I like the two we got, but we didnt address the true #1 WR in HS or Portal. Whiffed on every big name we went ater (Innis, Hykeem, ****ey, Dont'a, etc.). WR is probably closer to a C.

2. You put 2 DT's under the DE category. Horton and Deen will be DT here. Unless we're switching to 3 man lines.

Now that all of the signing periods have been completed, with Miami coming up empty on NSD, I wanted to assess our current class, including the transfer portal.

First off, kudos to Mario & the staff to navigate a tumultuous season, while pulling in a solid class in his first, full cycle. The 2008 Class, however, taught me a valuable lesson; never fully focus on the team ranking per recruiting services vs. evaluating the totality of the class, itself. As an example, Team A can recruit 25 kids that included 10-5* & 15-4*. On paper, that would be the #1 class in the nation, but if 50% of that class are strictly DEs, & the other 50% are strictly LBs…u get the point.

Though I soured on Rashada as his season progressed, the fact is we solely focused on him, when red flags began to present themselves. Our QB room is a mess, & relying upon one QB via the HS ranks, a 3* at that, is risky. This is not to say Williams won’t be the next Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, or Justin Herbert, but it is to say our QB room is in dire straights & this not the way to repair it in 2023.

We missed on Baxter & Young, but what a great consolation prize securing the #7 RB in the nation in Fletcher & a surging 4* RB in Chris Johnson. Fletcher showed his value & abilities in The Army All American game. He appears to be the anti-Thad Franklin, & we have a great change of pace duo in the class of ‘23. We saw the RB room look good on paper, to becoming a sore spot in the blink of an eye in ‘22, & these two immensely help restore this room.

This is a room that needed an infusion of talent. This is also a position that had so much talent in our back yard where we left a lot of meat on the bones (pause) from a HS & Portal standpoint. We added two dynamic guys w/ the ball in their hand, but both are on the smallish side. While they will be dynamic playmakers, neither feel like a WR1 as opposed to WR2’s. It would’ve been great if they were paired with some of the other beast that were available.

What an absolute haul, both recruiting via HS & Portal! If there was any position on the field I was least concerned w/, it was OL. Both Mario & Alex know what it looks like, can drop names of guys they’ve coached up to the next level, & it paid dividends this cycle.

The room already is stacked, & adding a top 5 TE in the nation, along w/ an in-line TE that can be flexed makes this a good haul that’ll shore up an already nice room

Best LB recruiting we’ve had in quite some time, & got **** did we need it! Hit on 3 absolute studs w/ Papo, Malik, & Francissssssssssco Mauioga, along w/ a newly minted 4-star LB in Bobby Washington. Also, picked up some nice depth pieces in Spencer & Pulliam. Not being able to snag Hill after the smoke build up sucked, but Strong & Company identified another weak spot, & absolutely attacked it.

Deep, rotational class. Some raw talent (Acheampong, Horton) mixed in w/ some guys who should see the field early (Bain, Wayne), along w/ a vet who will see significant time via from The Portal in Deen. This room is already primed to be the anchor of the defense, & it just got better.

INEXCUSABLE RECRUITING HERE. Literally whiffed on everyone. The only reason y this room is not a complete F is b/c at least we were able to snag a G5 DL from The Portal (Gore) who can play all across the line. This room has been a thorn in our side for a while, & it’s unimaginable for a school that’s produced Sapp, Brown, Wilfork, Tez, Maryland, Joseph, etc. have struggled mightily to recruit here. Not in love w/ that room as a whole, so really dropped the ball here.

S: D
Again, a lot of meat left on the bones (pause) from this position. Love Antoine as a prospect, but right now we have Kam, JW0, & Markeith Williams in the entire S room. 3 guys. This was a room where we needed to recruit, at an absolute minimum, 2 guys & we didn’t fulfill that. Here’s praying to Kam & JDub stay healthy all season.

Listen, picking up the Brown brothers, along w/ Stafford was good, but let’s keep it 100, substituting an oft injured CB in Roberts via The Portal for arguably a top 5 player in the nation regardless of position, absolutely sucks ***. I’m not going to lose sleep over any recruit who spurns us, but I’m not going to CIS the situation either & act like that chit didn’t sting. Cormani immediately changes the dynamic of the squad, especially this room. Nevertheless, a very good haul under the circumstances.

Replacing Hedley “The Gawd” is going to be tough. Just b/c Joyce is from Australia like Lou doesn’t mean he’ll be Lou II, & b/c I’m not familiar w/ his game, I can’t comment on him. Just hoping he’s of the same caliber. ****, as long as he’s not remotely like Feagles, I’ll be happy.

Overall, I give this class a B+ as it took care a couple of needs (OL, LB, RB), added to others (DE, TE, CB), while leaving other rooms head scratching (DT, S, WR). Hopefully with the portal reopening later this yr, we’ll be able to change some of these rooms with better impact/depth players.

Thoughts & Discussion?
2 of the 3 most important positions are QB and WR. I think an overall grade of B+ is too high when we left a lot to be desired in both areas. Overall I'd give class a B- The holes at CB, S, QB, DT, and WR are to big for me.

QB- C
Elite 11 is overrated.
RB- A-
Solid 1-2 punch with complimentary skillsets.
WR- B-
No size or perimeter option.
TE- A
Riley has all the tools to be elite.
OL- A-
Really top heavy unit.

DE- A
All around impressive group.
DT- C
Lack of size and bodies.
LB- A+
My favorite part of class Bobby and Marcellus are underrated imo.
CB- B
2 high school guys was not enough.
S- C+
Any injuries and we are in troooouble.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2 of the 3 most important positions are QB and WR. I think an overall grade of B+ is too high when we left a lot to be desired in both areas. Overall I'd give class a B- The holes at CB, S, QB, DT, and WR are to big for me.

I was going to give it a B, but I’m bullish on our LB, OL haul. I think CB was good, but not great. RB was very, very good. But can’t argue w/ the holes that were highlighted.

Few Comments:

1. Wow was your WR score generous. I like the two we got, but we didnt address the true #1 WR in HS or Portal. Whiffed on every big name we went ater (Innis, Hykeem, ****ey, Dont'a, etc.). WR is probably closer to a C.

2. You put 2 DT's under the DE category. Horton and Deen will be DT here. Unless we're switching to 3 man lines.

If Deen is going to be a DT then that’s a problem. He’s small, like 6-3 255 small. Lol. That new tidbit doesn’t change that grade, at all. Lol.

I thought B- for WR was adequate just due to the caliber of guys we did pull in. Both r dynamic, blue chip players, but their lack of size is y it’s closer to a C haul vs. B haul.

I like it bro. I understand that there are complexities when it comes to UM recruiting lol. We have not recruited like this in quite some time. So, to be able nail OL, build strength at RB, LB, and CB, is always a good thing. It is MC first full season with recruiting this class. It is too bad a poor outing during the season negatively impacted our chances with other players.

I can only imagine what a successful year on the field would do for MC recruiting. Couple that with the hopes of a compotent OC and solid WR coach....aw shnaps, now we playing with the big boys. Also looking forward to what our recruiting strategy will be going forward with the interior DL. I love my Joe, but everyone needs to pull their own. Some of my thoughts lol. It is midnight here in Anchorage Alaska. Stay breezy my uso🤙🤙

One thing ill say with WR recruiting if I just look at rayray and robby as players ill give it a B+/A-. Rayray was my WR2 in sfla, robby is a dynamic player that can be a game changer for us.

If i had to include context i might give us a D- or maybe F. Anytime u can offer more guaranteed playing time than your competitors and as much if not more money than all of them AND still whiff on multiple guys then I look at that as a huge red flag.

I say that because imo i look at robby and rayray as recruits miami will almost always get if we just show interest, they been canes since birth so i cant give that much credit for locking them down because anyone who coaches here can if they aren’t idiots (manny/likens).

I’ll settle on D- because we righted wrongs of the last staff and got them on board early but this was pathetic recruiting this cycle at WR. Great post as always bro.

Advertisement
Does knowing Spencer will be playing at S and not LB change your position grades for at least one of those groups?

Even if he moves positions in a year or 2, he should stil be put in the group Miami is saying he is playing.

Spencer will be a safety and Horton will be a DT. I think a lot of people are underestimating Deen due to size yet he thrived in the bigger and more physical B10. Totally agree with your disappointment not landing an outside receiver as well as losing Cormani. No way to spin that as any other than L's. Like yourself I absolutely love what we did at RB, O line, LB, and d end grabbing difference makers. This 2024 cycle we need to add multiple playmakers at outside WR, DT, QB, and S.

S: D

Overall, I give this class a B+ as it took care a couple of needs (OL, LB, RB), added to others (DE, TE, CB), while leaving other rooms head scratching (DT, S, WR). Hopefully with the portal reopening later this yr, we’ll be able to change some of these rooms with better impact/depth players.

Thoughts & Discussion?
I'd be willing to bet Cormani flames out based on the parasites surrounding him.

Kid didn't stand a chance.

Ya im soured on that. The bag was secured with zero ***** given on how that young man should comport himself.

We're adding more in the portal.

If Deen is going to be a DT then that’s a problem. He’s small, like 6-3 255 small. Lol. That new tidbit doesn’t change that grade, at all. Lol.

I thought B- for WR was adequate just due to the caliber of guys we did pull in. Both r dynamic, blue chip players, but their lack of size is y it’s closer to a C haul vs. B haul.
Thats what 247 listed him at out of highschool, they haven't updated it. Purdue's website has him at 6'2" 280 lbs.

Advertisement
Doesn’t matter how good your qb or WR are if you don’t have a line that can protect the qb.

Deen is 285 now. Also, Spencer is an in the box safety in the mold of Bonsu, who went to Taint. Even then, I agree with all your grades but DT where we got 3 players but even then it’s a C-. Everything seems on point.

Doesn’t matter how good your qb or WR are if you don’t have a line that can protect the qb.
This statement is true to a degree but this isn’t a linear type progression. An elite QB can produce with even a sub par OL and can be great with an average line. An elite OL will not make an average QB great either. Ultimately it’s a team game and there is no discounting the trenches but there are multitudes of variables at play here, and probably the most important isn’t even personnel related, but coaching and scheme.

Advertisement
Nice write up fam.

I’ll disagree on the WR. I think CB grade is fair but I also wouldnt argue if you gave it a C

This statement is true to a degree but this isn’t a linear type progression. An elite QB can produce with even a sub par OL and can be great with an average line. An elite OL will not make an average QB great either. Ultimately it’s a team game and there is no discounting the trenches but there are multitudes of variables at play here, and probably the most important isn’t even personnel related, but coaching and scheme.
I agree. A ton of variables that go into it, but an elite OL can make an average qb look better than he is.

If you look at this class through the lens of best class in 247 school history, first time in history of 247 a team other than Clemson or FSU had top ranked ACC class, we went 5-7 last season, we've been irrelevant for 18 years in college football landscape, have won 1 bowl game since 2007, we are a 7 win program annually over almost 2 decades, then this class is an A or better.

If you look at it thru an Ohio State, Alabama, UGA lens then a B would be the grade.

With that said it's hard to really grade just high school class, because the portal should be combined as you hit some needs in portal, and may not use as many numbers on high school spots.

Good job on write up.

QB- C
Elite 11 is overrated.
RB- A-
Solid 1-2 punch with complimentary skillsets.
WR- B-
No size or perimeter option.
TE- A
Riley has all the tools to be elite.
OL- A-
Really top heavy unit.

DE- A
All around impressive group.
DT- C
Lack of size and bodies.
LB- A+
My favorite part of class Bobby and Marcellus are underrated imo.
CB- B
2 high school guys was not enough.
S- C+
Any injuries and we are in troooouble.
A- for OL are you high? We had the perfect mix of studs and projects of guys with prototype builds.

Advertisement
Back