Rellyrell’s Review (Class of ‘23)

Advertisement
Francis and Pancake are 100% playing meaningful snaps. ****, Francis will probably start. Nice to have Cohen, Zion and Lee anchoring down the line to help bring the young guys along and mask any inexperience weakness.

Agree we are fuqed next year even with all this talent. It will take another class to fix things. Hopefully most guys we hit on and their aren't too many busts. QB position (most important) I believe isn't good right now. I saw enough of TVD last year to jump off that ship, I don't think he corrects it next season either. Not a believer anymore.
It will depend on the new coordinator. I don't think anyone expected him to do what he did as a freshman.

Deen is 285 now. Also, Spencer is an in the box safety in the mold of Bonsu, who went to Taint. Even then, I agree with all your grades but DT where we got 3 players but even then it’s a C-. Everything seems on point.

Yeah; 247 had him as 255.

Here’s my point on the DT level, bro…context wise:

UGA was running a 7 deep NT/DT depth chart:
-Stackhouse: 6’3 - 320
-Logue: 6’5 - 295
-Miller: 6’4 - 295
-Brinson: 6’4 - 305
-Alexander: 6’3 - 305
-Hall: 6’4 - 310
-Carter: 6’3 - 300
Avg Size: 6’4 - 304

Clemson was running a 7 deep NT/DT depth chart:
-Davis: 6’2 - 300
-Page: 6’4 - 315
-Capeheart: 6’5 - 305
-Orhorhoro: 6’4 - 295
-Williams: 6’2 - 300
-Story: 6’3 - 290
-Breese: 6’5 - 305
Avg Size: 6’4 - 301

Miami: Moving Deen & Horton to the interior, we’re running 5 deep.
-Deen: 6’2 - 280
-Taylor: 6’3 - 305
-Gore: 6’0 - 270
-Harrison-Hunte: 6’4 - 285
-Horton: 6’4 - 285
Avg. Size: 6’3 (generous) - 285

Do we see the discrepancy with the big boys vs. us? And we wonder why our interior doesn’t get the pocket pressure on a consistent basis like it should. We’re a school notorious for producing HOF & All Pro Quality DTs, & this has been a point of contention for a while. Seeing Deen now at 285 raises my D- to a D b/c there was waaaaaaay too many war daddies available.

Advertisement
Hard to argue anything in that post except maybe DT.

I'd give it a F+ I believe they'll probably use Horton at DT though. Not DE. Kid is already 280. As you said cannot understand why we cannot seem to recruit better at that position.

Wonderful write-up as usual.

Literally was leaning as a F, but I knew we would rotate some guys on the interior, Horton being one. I liked his film, & there’s a reason he was bumped to a 4-star late. But he’s still young, have to learn the position & get acclimated to the interior game 100%.

Do we see the discrepancy with the big boys vs. us? And we wonder why our interior doesn’t get the pocket pressure on a consistent basis like it should. We’re a school notorious for producing HOF & All Pro Quality DTs, & this has been a point of contention for a while. Seeing Deen now at 285 raises my D- to a D b/c there was waaaaaaay too many war daddies available.
yeah, I’m right there with you and on the same page. The gap at DT is widening not getting smaller between the haves and have nots.

Advertisement
First of all, much respect to you @Rellyrell for the write up. I think this class really highlights this staff's strengths and weaknesses. With the OL prowess the staff possesses, it's not surprising that the OL class is stellar. I saw that someone described it as being "top heavy" and I understand that to an extent, but the OL should be a good mix of veteran; young, high-end talent; and high potential, developmental talent. I think we have that.

The same can be said for the LB position. Obviously an area of immense need, and Strong's reputation really helped out here.

The glaring weaknesses of the staff were accentuated in all of the expected areas. The deficiencies in the DT, WR, and DB (S in particular) rooms absolutely need to be addressed by MC if we want to even consider being amongst the elite. The off-season defections and lack of development in the secondary is mind numbing and the lack of difference-makers on the DL will hamper an improved LB corp.

All in all, this is a very good class, but the glaring holes are a direct reflection of the glaring holes in the staff.

First of all, much respect to you @Rellyrell for the write up. I think this class really highlights this staff's strengths and weaknesses. With the OL prowess the staff possesses, it's not surprising that the OL class is stellar. I saw that someone described it as being "top heavy" and I understand that to an extent, but the OL should be a good mix of veteran; young, high-end talent; and high potential, developmental talent. I think we have that.

The same can be said for the LB position. Obviously an area of immense need, and Strong's reputation really helped out here.

The glaring weaknesses of the staff were accentuated in all of the expected areas. The deficiencies in the DT, WR, and DB (S in particular) rooms absolutely need to be addressed by MC if we want to even consider being amongst the elite. The off-season defections and lack of development in the secondary is mind numbing and the lack of difference-makers on the DL will hamper an improved LB corp.

All in all, this is a very good class, but the glaring holes are a direct reflection of the glaring holes in the staff.

Agree 100% with all of this, my brotha. I wouldn’t call this class top heavy, per se, but it’s definitely not as balanced as it could’ve been, & we whiffed on some real potential targets, & there’s no masking that.

Moten will have a chance to carve out a space-eater role. and horton is going to be bigger than 285 by the time the season starts. he's a large human.

Advertisement
Good analysis as always. I think you were a little generous at WR but otherwise about where I would rate things

I was. Lol; I initially had it as a C-, but I do love Ray Ray & Robby. Those two r special w/ the ball in their hand, so I bumped it to a B- after re-watching, extensively, their film, along w seeing first hand Ray Ray in the Army All American game doing his thing. However, like I said, both feel like complimentary stars vs. WR1, & seeing how deplorable that room was for 2022, yeah, I should’ve left that as a C-.

Interesting comment by Gabby on 247 about Malachi Coleman. Mentioned one of the coaches wasnt sure his speed would transfer to the football field at WR. Also said he thought we would have gotten him had they chosen to make it a priority. Oh and that the coach who made that evaluation "possibly" could be one who is not on staff anymore (former WR coach).

Man, that guy looked good in the all star games, he would have been exactly what the doctor ordered. 10.38 laser not being fast.... Sigh.... The Gattis gift that keeps on giving.

Moten will have a chance to carve out a space-eater role. and horton is going to be bigger than 285 by the time the season starts. he's a large human.

He is, & he will; but that still doesn’t change the narrative, my brother. That room is hurting.

Advertisement

On point.

Call me crazy but you're leaving kids out for us....

Isn't Moten still on the squad? 325?

Thank you for pointing out the issue at safety.

I don't know how we can survive with 3 safeties. I know Jackson is projected there but he should be a highschool senior so it's not fair to expect anything from him this year. Are we moving some corners to safety? Did Balom return to the team?

That along with the obvious holes at receiver and DT need to get addressed in a big way. I wouldn't be mad at getting a big time corner transfer either.

great year with HS players as well as portal guys. new OC might help us pull in a couple of WR's from portal.
need a monster couple of DT's ..... all this off a 5-7 season kudos to Mario and staff. now lets coach em up and keep stacking

Advertisement
Back