Regionals

Advertisement
Do most teams charter their own planes in today’s game? Or is that specific to the power 5 schools? I guess the international airport could be taken into account in our favor if not. But That’s me trying to find any positives with this news.

This is ridiculous. Why not use some "neutral" minor league parks around the country and emulate the March madness model w 8 of the same facilities used for the super regionals? Alternatively, don't allow any home field advantage whatsoever since there aren't going to be many fans anyway, i.e.. they aren't going to make money on gate receipts.

This will be totally subjective and there will be several undeserving teams hosting. This NCAA cannot get out of their own way w all this PC b.s.

This is ridiculous. Why not use some "neutral" minor league parks around the country and emulate the March madness model w 8 of the same facilities used for the super regionals? Alternatively, don't allow any home field advantage whatsoever since there aren't going to be many fans anyway, i.e.. they aren't going to make money on gate receipts.

This will be totally subjective and there will be several undeserving teams hosting. This NCAA cannot get out of their own way w all this PC b.s.

The thing is, there absolutely will be a huge home field advantage, at least at the SEC schools. The NCAA might mandate something like 25% capacity, but at places like Arkansas and Miss St those stadiums will be full when they're playing.

And agree. Using location as a major factor? Complete and total BS.

At least we've played well on the road this year I guess

I think this predetermination is just asinine!!! So much could happen in the next month with play on the field and also with Covid-19.

What is the NCAA trying to do? Do they want fans, no fans, or limited fans? This could really go sideways. Because the Covid-19 variants are more contagious, Spring Break travel, and many states moving past Covid-19 policies, it is speculated that a 4th wave of Covid outbreaks could happen in the next 4-6 weeks. The NCAA could be determining regional and super regional sites at the beginning of the next wave where certain areas of the country may get hit more than others.

There are also critical conference matchups that would be left out of consideration in host determination. What happens if some teams selected as hosts go on a losing streak? What happens if a team like Miami (who may host a regional) goes on a run beating all the remaining top ranked teams to win the conference and then wins the conference tournament deserving a super regional but wasn't selected for one?

The NCAA will be making their decision on host sites at least 3 weeks before conference tournament have concluded. This could blow up in their face. It makes more sense to me to wait as long as possible until you absolutely have to make a decision. This will provide the best possible outcomes for teams based on merit and the pandemic.

Advertisement
The thing is, there absolutely will be a huge home field advantage, at least at the SEC schools. The NCAA might mandate something like 25% capacity, but at places like Arkansas and Miss St those stadiums will be full when they're playing.

And agree. Using location as a major factor? Complete and total BS.

At least we've played well on the road this year I guess
Which is why my proposal is for MS St to go to AR, AR to MS St, etc. I know that penalizes teams this year who are having good seasons, but if COVID is a legit concern then my way would discourage what you properly anticipate will happen. Are they really going to have COVID police telling people to leave or not enter in Starkville, Fayetteville ... - I doubt it.

I will throw a fit if all 3 Florida teams have to go to one regional site. I would have to assume that has never happened and likely will never happen again, excluding Covid.

The memo the NCAA sent to schools: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...0-21D1MBA-WSB_PrelimBidProcessAdjustments.pdf

Notably, the supers will be selected from the 16 sites after the regionals. So if you host and work your way into the top 8 by Selection Monday, I imagine you would host a super like you normally do.

Also, don’t see any reference to a late April decision. Keeping it secret for two weeks doesn’t make a lot of sense anyway (but it is the NCAA), so I think there is a good chance the BC and App St series factor in as well.

I think this predetermination is just asinine!!! So much could happen in the next month with play on the field and also with Covid-19.

What is the NCAA trying to do? Do they want fans, no fans, or limited fans? This could really go sideways. Because the Covid-19 variants are more contagious, Spring Break travel, and many states moving past Covid-19 policies, it is speculated that a 4th wave of Covid outbreaks could happen in the next 4-6 weeks. The NCAA could be determining regional and super regional sites at the beginning of the next wave where certain areas of the country may get hit more than others.

There are also critical conference matchups that would be left out of consideration in host determination. What happens if some teams selected as hosts go on a losing streak? What happens if a team like Miami (who may host a regional) goes on a run beating all the remaining top ranked teams to win the conference and then wins the conference tournament deserving a super regional but wasn't selected for one?

The NCAA will be making their decision on host sites at least 3 weeks before conference tournament have concluded. This could blow up in their face. It makes more sense to me to wait as long as possible until you absolutely have to make a decision. This will provide the best possible outcomes for teams based on merit and the pandemic.
And as someone else already pointed out, half the teams in the country are already traveling every weekend, as will 3/4 of the teams come Regionals. What's the difference if their flight is a little longer. And I thought most states are close to having the vaccine available to all willing adults by the end of this month?

There's still time for the NCAA to reconsider this premature decision, but they won't, because baseball (whether we like it or not) is still the ugly stepchild of the 3 major sports.

Advertisement
The memo the NCAA sent to schools: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ch...0-21D1MBA-WSB_PrelimBidProcessAdjustments.pdf

Notably, the supers will be selected from the 16 sites after the regionals. So if you host and work your way into the top 8 by Selection Monday, I imagine you would host a super like you normally do.

Also, don’t see any reference to a late April decision. Keeping it secret for two weeks doesn’t make a lot of sense anyway (but it is the NCAA), so I think there is a good chance the BC and App St series factor in as well.
And it does say the Week of May 10th; so, in theory they could let the weekend series of May 14 - 16th play out before making their final decisions. If so, that would leave just FAU and @ UL for us. The conference tournaments will be back in their rightful place of being somewhat meaningless, except for bubble teams.

Having the regional up in Jax where acc tourney used to be would have been awesome. Still will never forget the shot that Weeks hit to right field in that park. Got out quicker than any ball I’ve seen hit

I guarantee we'll get screwed with this even if we are in good position. Right now our RPI is 16 (after removing Fairfield/Villanova from the rankings)). Win the next 3 weekends and we'll be a lock for a top-15 RPI. Even winning 2/3 would probably get us there as long as we win midweeks and don't get swept.

But I fully expect we'll be on the road and that "merit" will not be the only consideration the NCAA has
With the way the ACC schedule is playing out, we may not even face another top 25 team before the host selections are made. Pitt just lost 2/3 to ND so they'll drop out of the top 25.

If you look at RPI, it's crazy that FSU is #51, Louisville is #56, GT is #69 and FGCU is ahead of them all at #49 yet I bet Louisville gets a super regional and GT will host despite the poor RPI. Miami is steady at #18 which says a lot about winning those midweek games. Both GT and Louisville have had some bad midweek losses which contributes to their poor RPI. There isn't much of path for Miami to get into the top 10 RPI and possibly host a super regional even if they win every game from here to May 10th. The remaining top 50 RPI opponents on Miami's schedule up to May 10th are:

Pitt #25 - Will drop more after loss to ND on Monday.
Clemson #45
FGCUU #50

My prediction for the 8 Super Regionals based on my projected RPI and geographic location will be:
1. Vanderbilt
2. Arkansas
3. Arizona
4. Oregon
5 South Carolina
6. Notre Dame
7. East Carolina
8. Oklahoma State

Last edited:
Advertisement
And as someone else already pointed out, half the teams in the country are already traveling every weekend, as will 3/4 of the teams come Regionals. What's the difference if their flight is a little longer. And I thought most states are close to having the vaccine available to all willing adults by the end of this month?

There's still time for the NCAA to reconsider this premature decision, but they won't, because baseball (whether we like it or not) is still the ugly stepchild of the 3 major sports.
I'm just relaying what some doctors and scientist have stated on tv because the new strains are more contagions increasing viral transmission. Other doctors think the current vaccination rate will prevent another surge. However, states with the some of the highest vaccination rates are already seeing surges in Covid. Michigan for example.

The more people think it's over, the more return to normalcy, the more the virus continues. We are still at higher infection and death rates than when the country shut down. All the premature normalcy will guarantee Covid will linger for a longer period of time.

With the way the ACC schedule is playing out, we may not even face another top 25 team before the host selections are made. Pitt just lost 2/3 to ND so they'll drop out of the top 25.

If you look at RPI, it's crazy that FSU is #51, Louisville is #56, GT is #69 and FGCU is ahead of them all at #49 yet I bet Louisville gets a super regional and GT will host despite the poor RPI. Miami is steady at #18 which says a lot about winning those midweek games. Both GT and Louisville have had some bad midweek losses which contributes to their poor RPI. There isn't much of path for Miami to get into the top 10 RPI and possibly host a super regional even if they win every game from here to May 10th. The remaining top 50 RPI opponents on Miami's schedule up to May 10th are:

Clemson #45
FGCUU #50

My prediction for the 8 Super Regionals based on my projected RPI and geographic location will be:
1. Vanderbilt
2. Arkansas
3. Arizona
4. Oregon
5 South Carolina
6. Notre Dame
7. East Carolina
8. Oklahoma State

I mean, RPI is just a formula. We absolutely could end up top-10, maybe even top-5. But we'd have to win basically every series.

The real point with all this is that "merit" is only somewhat relevant. They'll take a UF team with a RPI of 40 as a host over a Miami team with a RPI of 10, for instance, because Gainesville makes more geographic sense. Then they'd just seed us #1 and UF would host as a #2.

We definitely have a good shot of being a top-16 seed. We can be the #1 in a Regional. But there's no chance we'd host that Regional, which is the ridiculously dumb part of all this

Clemson #45
FGCUU #50

1. Vanderbilt
2. Arkansas
3. Arizona
4. Oregon
5 South Carolina
6. Notre Dame
7. East Carolina
8. Oklahoma State
ECU won’t host. They’ll put Michigan for geographical and facilities ahead of them.

Advertisement
D1 has us as the final host in their midseason projection. The Gators are our two seed. The four seed brings back bad memories.
Worst case scenario for us. I’d love to see their projections on who they think will get the hosting bids. Idk how you can approve Miami for hosting and have two northeast teams in that regional. It contradictory to the “safety” narrative. It’s gotta be more regional than that.

Worst case scenario for us. I’d love to see their projections on who they think will get the hosting bids. Idk how you can approve Miami for hosting and have two northeast teams in that regional. It contradictory to the “safety” narrative. It’s gotta be more regional than that.
Logic and the NCAA 😬

Per d1 baseball, the regional hosts will be announced the week of may 10, so the BC series would factor in I assume

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-105017_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-105017_Chrome.jpg
    984.2 KB · Views: 3
Advertisement
Back