Regionals

scane

Redshirt Freshman
Sites will be announced before we play Georgia Tech and Louisville. It appears likely after the UNC series based on the late Apr phrasing. So the remaining series from that perspective are at Pitt, vs Clemson, and at North Carolina.

Advertisement
This collection of talent has to host. We have to find a way to host over next couple weeks

The ACC will have played nine conference series by last full weekend in April vs six for the SEC and just five for the Big 12. In a normal year that ratio is 10:10:8 and this year was intended to be 12:10:8.

Advertisement
We’re in pretty decent position for a regional if we can win the next three series, but a Super would seem to require a nearly perfect stretch.
As of right now super looks bleak for UF and FSU as well right?

As of right now super looks bleak for UF and FSU as well right?
Doesn’t look great assuming they don’t put a heavy amount of “projection” into the selections. UF helped their RPI this past weekend and have chances to improve it at Tennessee and home against FSU next midweek. The rest of their games are mediocre to awful before the cutoff. FSU for better or worse has road series against Louisville and GT in the next three weeks.

I don’t know how much projection they do this year though. Louisville and Georgia Tech have RPIs of 56 and 67 currently, but do we really think they wouldn’t pick Louisville to host even if their RPI only rises into the 30s in time? Right now ND is in really good shape and we’re in decent shape based on the traditional metrics but that’s about it out of the ACC. VT’s RPI is a little high at 29 but their conference standings and Top 50/100 records are good.

Why. Even though this is best case scenario for us, given the selection before our toughest two series, It’s an outside sport with minimal covid cancellations thus far. I don’t understand this at all. It will no doubt be controversial and an SEC school or two will undeservedly get host spots bc of it.

Why. Even though this is best case scenario for us, given the selection before our toughest two series, It’s an outside sport with minimal covid cancellations thus far. I don’t understand this at all. It will no doubt be controversial and an SEC school or two will undeservedly get host spots bc of it.

Advertisement
I’m not sure doing a neutral site tournament in minor league parks wouldn’t have made more sense for this year than selecting hosts with 1/3 of the season left.

We've played pretty well on the road, and with limited fans this isn't as big a deal as usual.

I'm sure we'll get screwed but not going to sweat it.

that's true. as long as the NCAA is still in charge. :mad::****:

I concur and predetermined and NCAA in the same sentence sounds like bull****...

Advertisement

Seems counterintuitive. If it worked all season why won’t it work now? They must plan on limited fans, if not they’re taking away a lot from the schools and fans. Hosting is a real privilege and schools like ECU who earn it, but aren’t in the conversation every year are gonna get screwed.

Advertisement
I guarantee we'll get screwed with this even if we are in good position. Right now our RPI is 16 (after removing Fairfield/Villanova from the rankings)). Win the next 3 weekends and we'll be a lock for a top-15 RPI. Even winning 2/3 would probably get us there as long as we win midweeks and don't get swept.

But I fully expect we'll be on the road and that "merit" will not be the only consideration the NCAA has

In his article on D1, Rogers now says it will be a hybrid approach with both location and merit. He says Arizona is likely a lock to host no matter what they do with looser standards while the California and Oregon schools are unlikely to host. Not sure he’s right about California with MLB attendance allowed and the LA area moving into an even less restrictive tier. I imagine Notre Dame is a virtual lock in a hybrid scenario, although he specifically called out Michigan as a beneficiary.

We’re in pretty decent position for a regional if we can win the next three series, but a Super would seem to require a nearly perfect stretch.

After reading the D1 baseball article on this, I'm even more convinced we have no chance to host anything, even if we win all our remaining games.

Kendall Rogers was pretty adamant that location would matter as much as merit. Given where Coral Gables is and the travel thats involved for teams to get here, it's not happening.

Florida and FSU will host. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up the #1 seed in the "Gainesville Regional", where UF hosts as a #2. This sucks for us

After reading the D1 baseball article on this, I'm even more convinced we have no chance to host anything, even if we win all our remaining games.

Kendall Rogers was pretty adamant that location would matter as much as merit. Given where Coral Gables is and the travel thats involved for teams to get here, it's not happening.

Florida and FSU will host. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up the #1 seed in the "Gainesville Regional", where UF hosts as a #2. This sucks for us
Was about to post the same thing after reading. We’re screwed

Advertisement
Back