Reggie out?

Increased minutes for Jekiri and some playing time for Swoope. I'm fine with this.

It's an interesting match-up for Swoope, even though he gives up 2 inches and 60 pounds (at least) to Gardner....I think Swoope could irritate him enough.

I've been going back and forth in my head as to whether or not this is going to be a noticeable loss for us. I think in the 16, not so much. Julian and Kenny will each see big minutes (assuming Julian's ankle is good to go) with Jekiri getting 6-8 and Swoope probably in the same range now, perhaps playing a little bit of 4 guard ball with TMJ playing a small 4 and Brown at the 3.

I think the bigger issue with no Reggie is in the 8, where we will need size to match up with either of the potential opponents and relying heavily on minutes from Swoope or Jekiri will be painful for us, likely relying in a life time performance from both KK and JG to survive.

It's hard to say when he would be missed more because I don't know who we would play in the elite-8.

It doesn't hurt to have RJ, especially on his doppelganger Gardner. It just means Swoope has to get minutes. It also means its one less player to get us the production we need. From the center position we need 10 points 12 rebounds in general.

We just beat Illinois and we decided to have our worst shooting performance since Wake Forest. Let's hope we are stroking it much better.

Marquette's four guard or 3/1/1 lineups will mean that we will be playing relatively small, likely were going to see a lot more of KK and JG than anything with Reg in for tomorrow night. Saturday night with IU or Syr we will see a lot more of big men matchups assuming we beat the Warriors/Golden Eagles/Marquettians

Advertisement
Gamble has more rebounds per minute than Gardner (but less than Reggie).
Same goes for Kadji and Jekiri.
Gamble, Kadji, Jekiri give us better FG%

Marquette relies on their high FT% too, but Big East teams not called Marquette average 17.3 PF/g; whereas, Miami has gives up fewest in ACC at only 14.6 PF/G

Our last 4 games, we've only given up PF of 19,10,14,10

Without Reggie, one thing I think we're going to have to do is time Gamble's minutes and substitutions correctly. For as important of a player as Gardner is for them, he does come off the bench and only averages 21 minutes a game. Without Reggie, our best matchup with him is obviously Gamble, so I think it may make sense to substitute a bit differently. While in general I don't think the loss of Reggie at his currently playing state is that big of a deal, against a guy like Gardner, who is a load, I think it would certainly have been nice to have him. I think Jekiri is ready to play a few more minutes, and Swope is capable of giving us some depth as well, I think that Jekiri will get pushed around by Gardner.

We are going to need a few minutes from the Rok against a big lineup. At least he is a big body with 5 fouls to give.

peoples-eyebrow.jpeg

We are going to need a few minutes from the Rok against a big lineup. At least he is a big body with 5 fouls to give.

3.jpeg

I’m ready to go in, coach, just give me a chance. I know there’s a lot of riding on it, but it’s all psychological. Just gotta stay in a positive frame of mind.

Advertisement
Increased minutes for Jekiri and some playing time for Swoope. I'm fine with this.

It's an interesting match-up for Swoope, even though he gives up 2 inches and 60 pounds (at least) to Gardner....I think Swoope could irritate him enough.

I've been going back and forth in my head as to whether or not this is going to be a noticeable loss for us. I think in the 16, not so much. Julian and Kenny will each see big minutes (assuming Julian's ankle is good to go) with Jekiri getting 6-8 and Swoope probably in the same range now, perhaps playing a little bit of 4 guard ball with TMJ playing a small 4 and Brown at the 3.

I think the bigger issue with no Reggie is in the 8, where we will need size to match up with either of the potential opponents and relying heavily on minutes from Swoope or Jekiri will be painful for us, likely relying in a life time performance from both KK and JG to survive.

It's hard to say when he would be missed more because I don't know who we would play in the elite-8.

It doesn't hurt to have RJ, especially on his doppelganger Gardner. It just means Swoope has to get minutes. It also means its one less player to get us the production we need. From the center position we need 10 points 12 rebounds in general.

We just beat Illinois and we decided to have our worst shooting performance since Wake Forest. Let's hope we are stroking it much better.

Marquette's four guard or 3/1/1 lineups will mean that we will be playing relatively small, likely were going to see a lot more of KK and JG than anything with Reg in for tomorrow night. Saturday night with IU or Syr we will see a lot more of big men matchups assuming we beat the Warriors/Golden Eagles/Marquettians

Expecting Swoope to play more and more as I think about it on Thursday.

If ya smellllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what the Rok is cooking.

(Hopefully not a big pot of JAG soup)

Without Reggie, one thing I think we're going to have to do is time Gamble's minutes and substitutions correctly. For as important of a player as Gardner is for them, he does come off the bench and only averages 21 minutes a game. Without Reggie, our best matchup with him is obviously Gamble, so I think it may make sense to substitute a bit differently. While in general I don't think the loss of Reggie at his currently playing state is that big of a deal, against a guy like Gardner, who is a load, I think it would certainly have been nice to have him. I think Jekiri is ready to play a few more minutes, and Swope is capable of giving us some depth as well, I think that Jekiri will get pushed around by Gardner.

Everyone here is focusing on Gardner, which I understand, but one of my concerns is who matches up with Lockett? Lockett is a 6-5 Sr. G who shoots the 3 better than Blue and is a major rebounder on the offensive glass for them. I'm guessing TMJ will draw his attention.

Everyone here is focusing on Gardner, which I understand, but one of my concerns is who matches up with Lockett? Lockett is a 6-5 Sr. G who shoots the 3 better than Blue and is a major rebounder on the offensive glass for them. I'm guessing TMJ will draw his attention.

Definitely TMJ and Brown.

Advertisement

I hear ya. The senior is a little inconsistent if you ask me. Last 5 games he scored 13, 5, 2, 5 and 5 (avg is normally 8PPG) and shot the ball only 4.4 times per game. I have a feeling Vander Blue will be guarded by Scott, Lockett will be guarded by TMJ/Brown and Larkin will be on Cardougan.

"Reggie Johnson didn't travel to Washington on Tuesday, but is expected to be able to play in the Final Four if Miami advances." ESPN

Advertisement
So, we won't see him mishandle easy passes inside. That's 4-6 missed layup opportunities we won't suffer.

Yeah, so about not missing RJ... anybody catch how easily Jekiri and RA got pushed around by 54? Laff laff laff. We missed him badly.

I hate being right when it's something like this, but we missed RJ tonight. Tonye was terrible, Gamble not much better, and we were absolutely dominated in the paint. Akpewhatever should never see the floor again unless we're up or down by 30.

Advertisement
I hate being right when it's something like this, but we missed RJ tonight. Tonye was terrible, Gamble not much better, and we were absolutely dominated in the paint. Akpewhatever should never see the floor again unless we're up or down by 30.

If that dude is part of the rotation next season, we aren't going .500 in ACC play. He's even worse than Swoope, and that's saying something.

If that dude is part of the rotation next season, we aren't going .500 in ACC play. He's even worse than Swoope, and that's saying something.

If we do go .500 in the ACC next year (even with Larkin), crown Coach L.

True indeed. I just think the ACC is weak enough here and there where you can sneak out 9 wins, but considering the teams joining us from the Big East... going .500 might actually get you in the Tournament.

Advertisement
Back