Reggie out?

If he's injured, he's injured. Wish he could have made the trip with the team to support them. When he's healthy he's a force, but the next man needs to step up.

Advertisement
For Reggie's sake it's a tough break, but the Canes team it's, "Thank God!"
We were playing 4 on 5 against Illinois with Reggie in.
Too slow right now to work the pick n roll unlike Gamble.
A huge defensive liability as he's basically a slalom gate out there.
No offensive threat at all and will only get a rebound when it falls into his hands.

During the Illinois game the Illini runs came when Reggie was on the floor. The only dunks Illinois had were with Reggie not reacting.
When he sat during the game we were athletic and explosive.
He may be 6'10" and 300 whatever pounds but he only plays like a crippled off guard as he has like a 3 inch vertical right now.

Good Guy? I hear that he is. Good teammate? Sure seems to be.
Good player right now? Not even close.

So if Reg got hurt in the Illinois game, what was wrong with him the past 2 months?

I feel like that was a cover up saying he got hurt in the Illinois game. It had to of happened later in the regular season, he was never right after the FSU game it seemed.

Advertisement
One of his strengths on offense is passing and hitting the correct wing player. That comes with experience and will be clearly an area the Jakiri cannot match.
Playing aggressive under the boards without a bunch of BS calls for the freshman is another problem.

I'm sorry, but RJ has been an extreme liability the last few games.

He misses tons of easy lay ups, lets the ball go through his hands far too often, seems to get called for at least two travels a game, is super slow getting up and down the court and has been getting smoked on the defensive end of the ball. We might miss the fact that he draws a double team, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

One of his strengths on offense is passing and hitting the correct wing player. That comes with experience and will be clearly an area the Jakiri cannot match.
Playing aggressive under the boards without a bunch of BS calls for the freshman is another problem.

I actually think this is one of his weaknesses.. I've seen him throw the ball away too many times trying to pass to someone cutting to the basket. Maybe he can he the wings, but passing in general is not his strong suit.

Advertisement
So if Reg got hurt in the Illinois game, what was wrong with him the past 2 months?

has he been playing hurt? his play has been unexplainable... Love the big fella, but it's the truth... figured he had to have been, maybe.

He hasn't gone up strong since the Silent Era.

My guess is he has been battling the knee for a couple months, trying to play through it. After Illinois, Coach L had seen enough and decided that Reg was hurting the team more than helping. Told him to get the surgery.

I watched the game again as well (was in Austin) and saw that Illinois was crashing 2 or 3 guys every time a shot went up. KK was our only tall guy in the game and it wasn't always his guy that got the rebound or put back. Rion didn't box at all on a few occasions and other times it was someone else. We needed Gamble for the boards but Coach obviously felt differently.

Not saying that some of this wasn't Kadji's fault, but really it was an impossible situation against a desperate team that knew we had a weakness.

Kadji better man up and start rebounding

Kenny had 8 against Illinois. If you look at his game log since the Duke loss, he has put big numbers when he plays alot of minutes. 10,11,12,11,9 in games where he plays at least 30 minutes since Duke

I know this will sound weird/dumb but I don't care about his numbers, he did not have a good rebounding game against Illinois. If he had 8, he should have had 15. He was lazy on box outs and gave UI a lot of offensive rebounds.

Rebounding is a team thing. We went small for long stretches, switching everything to match their 3 pt shooters. One of which was a 6'9" guy. I'm not gonna put it all on Kenny. Rushing from the perimeter to try to check Egwu. Guards have to gang rebound in those situations.

I love Kenny (in a non-*** way...not that there's anything wrong with that) but he got beat...A LOT. I rewatched the game, saw it twice. He got lazy or floated away from the paint a lot, and his man beat him to offensive rebounds and tip outs all night long.

Addition by subtraction. The guy was disgustingly lazy on Sunday. He ran the court 3x before he started getting smoked for layups and at one point just plodded into the lane without boxing out to give up an easy O-rebound.

agreed. very little effort and he is horribly out of shape. i dont know what happened to him, but he is a shell of the player he once was. i adds very little to the team at this point so his loss means little.

Advertisement
No he hasn't been giving us much, but we will miss him. Just having another body out there helps, especially if Kadji, Gamble and/or Jekiri get in foul trouble. Coach L was able to rest Kadji and Julian a lot during games since RJ has been back, and now that's going to be hard to do. Even though a lot of you have been asking for Tonye to get his minutes, or even saying Swoope can do it, it's still not good. We're not 10 deep, we can't afford anyone getting hurt.

There's a difference between RJ playing the way we hope he plays and what he has currently shown. He was an undeniable liability on Sunday. He could barely get up and down the court effectively.

****, maybe the knee was the reason he was moving so slowly up and down the floor.

Been saying this dude is playing hurt for a while now. This is a case where I hate to be right.

RJ, even playing hurt, was not a liability, even though he had rough patches. We literally have nobody else to play center. Someone has got to play, and asking Gamble to play 30+ minutes is nuts. You can't win in CBB with a 7-man rotation over extended periods of time. 8 players is barely squeaking by, but our starters are so good and well conditioned, we made it this far.

And big boy just shot up the top of the charts as one of my favorite players of all time. He probably needed surgery 2 months ago, and sacrificed himself to give us whatever he could. I ****ing love that dude for what he did.

Tonye plays center and is actually more productive in his short stints. Whether that continues over extended minutes will be the question. They trusted Swoope to play minutes in the ACC tourney final, he'll play some 4 when we go small. I think we'll be better defensively. Certainly more athletic. Reggie had devolved into a screen setter and double team drawer in the post. Something that benefited us because teams hadn't figured out that playing him straight up would have been enough. Losing a perimeter player would have been a bigger problem.

Reggie isn't a scorer anymore. Unless Swoope, Raph and Tonye blow assignments on defense and can't figure out when and where to set screens I'm not overly concerned. The moment being too big for them would be my only thing to worry about.

and to follow on this, it was maddening to watch this huge presence hanging out on the perimeter futilely trying to set screens against IL, rather than banging on the inside to grab offensive boards. it was incredible how much more success the smaller IL team was having on the offensive boards than we were.

Advertisement
Increased minutes for Jekiri and some playing time for Swoope. I'm fine with this.

It's an interesting match-up for Swoope, even though he gives up 2 inches and 60 pounds (at least) to Gardner....I think Swoope could irritate him enough.

I've been going back and forth in my head as to whether or not this is going to be a noticeable loss for us. I think in the 16, not so much. Julian and Kenny will each see big minutes (assuming Julian's ankle is good to go) with Jekiri getting 6-8 and Swoope probably in the same range now, perhaps playing a little bit of 4 guard ball with TMJ playing a small 4 and Brown at the 3.

I think the bigger issue with no Reggie is in the 8, where we will need size to match up with either of the potential opponents and relying heavily on minutes from Swoope or Jekiri will be painful for us, likely relying in a life time performance from both KK and JG to survive.

I actually think this is one of his weaknesses.. I've seen him throw the ball away too many times trying to pass to someone cutting to the basket. Maybe he can he the wings, but passing in general is not his strong suit.

He has a total of 22 assists compared to 56 turnovers this year. If his strength was passing, that doesnt say much for the rest of his game.

Increased minutes for Jekiri and some playing time for Swoope. I'm fine with this.

It's an interesting match-up for Swoope, even though he gives up 2 inches and 60 pounds (at least) to Gardner....I think Swoope could irritate him enough.

I've been going back and forth in my head as to whether or not this is going to be a noticeable loss for us. I think in the 16, not so much. Julian and Kenny will each see big minutes (assuming Julian's ankle is good to go) with Jekiri getting 6-8 and Swoope probably in the same range now, perhaps playing a little bit of 4 guard ball with TMJ playing a small 4 and Brown at the 3.

I think the bigger issue with no Reggie is in the 8, where we will need size to match up with either of the potential opponents and relying heavily on minutes from Swoope or Jekiri will be painful for us, likely relying in a life time performance from both KK and JG to survive.

It's hard to say when he would be missed more because I don't know who we would play in the elite-8.

It doesn't hurt to have RJ, especially on his doppelganger Gardner. It just means Swoope has to get minutes. It also means its one less player to get us the production we need. From the center position we need 10 points 12 rebounds in general.

We just beat Illinois and we decided to have our worst shooting performance since Wake Forest. Let's hope we are stroking it much better.

Advertisement
Back