Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I will say again - the coaches at the QB position are betting everything on their own evaluations. They did it with Emory and Judd and now (allegedly) this kid. They're gonna live and die by their QB evals.

Gonna be some hefty receipts one way or another in a couple years.
Risky game.

But they told me that recruiting HS QB who are projects and landing the starter through the portal would be the way. SMH.

Advertisement
Kid damaged himself while here. Rather blaze than work. I will blame many things on our staff but Jarren Williams' career ain't one of them.
When your culture allows this, it's on the staff!

Uva had a pretty **** good offense with 2 of these types.

We all want better. Thats a given. Yet again, beggars cant be chosers.

Umm: How can you type " no matter who the HC or OC is" with serious fingers? QBs(Worth a ****) want to play in good offenses that can help further their careers.

What type of logic are you using my guy?
I reiterate the statement. I am not ok with kids like this at Miami no matter who the HC or OC are. The standard does not change for the HC or OC — the HC and OC get the boot if they cannot meet the standard.

It is what it is. Let’s see what happens. I still think we will get a legitimate starter in the portal.

Advertisement
In their respective recruiting classes, in the composite Emory and Judd were the 34th (627th overall) and 58th (921st overall) best qbs. These weren’t highly regarded QBs that big time programs were after. They’re both players with some good tools to work with, but both need SIGNIFICANT development and time. There’s a reason they were ranked where they were and why they had offers from the schools that they did.
Like I said, all players develop at different rates. Every player needs development.

Emory was low rated, but made the Elite 11 and performed better than Rashada.

Fans just tie themselves to ratings by these recruiting websites and stick to whatever label they put on these kids.

It's so unreliable at the QB position. A lot of guys rated high don't have successful college careers let alone make it to the NFL.

Aside from the physical tools, I look at the high school QBs from a baseball perspective. None are a finished product. Some start out on 1st base. A few maybe start on 2nd base. It's the development and maturation that brings them home. Some will e fast tracked making it home quickly, while others will be passed ythe guys who started out behind them.

Kid damaged himself while here. Rather blaze than work. I will blame many things on our staff but Jarren Williams' career ain't one of them.
He had 3 years of eligibility after he left Miami. He went to USF and couldn't even get any reps on one of the worst teams in football. He either just doesn't have it or he wouldn't put the work in. This is why physical talent can be a bit overrated for the QB position.

💰. Mario got the power brokers to spend on NIL and facility upgrades that Manny was never going to accomplish here. That's why Mario will get 5 years compared to Manny's 3. Is that fair ? Not really but Mario at least had the experience to justify his salary and Miami chased him not the other way around. The next two years are obviously pivotal for Mario.
Mario is elite at everything except the Xs/Os and staff building. Get him in a room with the boosters and he will have them believing Miami will be national champs.

A
I reiterate the statement. I am not ok with kids like this at Miami no matter who the HC or OC are. The standard does not change for the HC or OC — the HC and OC get the boot if they cannot meet the standard.

It is what it is. Let’s see what happens. I still think we will get a legitimate starter in the portal.

Well get in the fire Mario train now buddy. Cause unless we recruit one, i cant foresee us getting a portal QB worth a ****. Whose gonna choose Dawson over all the other great OCs?

Lets be real, here.

Advertisement
No matter how this ends, Mario did about as poorly as possible handling all of this. I think (deserved) reputation of dog**** offense has been cemented.

Guess when Brian McClendon departed Mario's staff he was speaking truth.

BUT, lots of bunched/tight formations in the Michigan-'Bama game...

Mixed bag of thoughts re: portal qb 's/ issue at hand:

-Jefferson's the wild card we apparently didn't pursue that concerns me

-hard to fathom investing big in Howard with that completion %

-who could've predicted the way the ****-show with Ward would go down. BUT, didn't Dawson supposedly have a connection?

-appears clear an inve$tment only is going to be made for someone Mario has a conviction about, and someone with only a certain amount of eligibility remaining; clearly an extremely high value placed in HS recruits

-Taulia not exactly looking prettier because the beer goggles are on (getting late), but if you're listening closely the 'Cane nation 'insider perspective' is shifting

-Poffenbarger definitely not what we hoped for, but we need bodies. Even to function in the spring

-a game-manager could fit the bill; could this be that guy?

Last edited:
Watched his highlights and a tweet with him doing some pretty impressive dunks on the basketball court. Looks to have plus athleticism for his size. Play style looks a bit like Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma. Doesn’t have plus arm strength and his highlights have a good amount of 50/50 balls. Also didn’t look like he had the greatest line so I’d definitely need to see more to assess the turnover #s
@Confidence1000

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

The problem I have with Puffenburger is we turned down Dante Moore and Malachi Nelson because we wanted a proven, sure thing. 2024 was too important and we needed to win now.

Well no disrespect to UAlbany, but FCS football is barely above highschool level competition. The adjustment to the ACC for him will be massive… windows close a lot faster, the speed of the game. I basically view him as a high school recruit given the competition he’s played.

Contrast that with Taulia. He has proven himself against BETTER competition than he will play at Miami. He won’t be facing Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan here. If anythin, the speed of the game will slow down and we can reliably say he’ll match or exceed his performance at Maryland here at Miami
What does the level of competition have to do with throwing the football?

There's a former NFL QB that has a gold jacket who played at the FCS level.

Several NFL QBs played at the FCS level. I think NFL scouts know more than you, me, and most college coaches.

The fact that the Miami staff is giving this young man a look tells you they are doing their due diligence.

Advertisement
Yea for real him or Nelson with super high upside vs developing a unknown guy from FCS who is not proven either lol
IDK if being a passing yards leader for your division and in the running for the Walter Payton award qualifies as “not proven” in the same sense as Moore and Nelson

I think people are so ****ed that it's even come to this, that they're spending time scrutinizing this bum.

I just want us to get a better QB.
So do I.

But if it's a choice between taking Poffenbarger/Tagovailoa and rolling with Emory/Jacurri, I'll be glad to have him as depth.

People are making him out to be the worst QB ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back