Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The problem I have with Puffenburger is we turned down Dante Moore and Malachi Nelson because we wanted a proven, sure thing. 2024 was too important and we needed to win now.

Well no disrespect to UAlbany, but FCS football is barely above highschool level competition. The adjustment to the ACC for him will be massive… windows close a lot faster, the speed of the game. I basically view him as a high school recruit given the competition he’s played.

Contrast that with Taulia. He has proven himself against BETTER competition than he will play at Miami. He won’t be facing Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan here. If anythin, the speed of the game will slow down and we can reliably say he’ll match or exceed his performance at Maryland here at Miami

The hypothesis is that WhatABurger will accept being #2 behind a guy like Taulia whereas Nelson would not. Anyone who says we don’t need a QB2 with JB and EW on roster is crazy IMO.

Dante Moore is a totally different argument. Maybe he thought our HC/OC wouldn’t develop him? It’s been a really bad cycle. I’ve had questions about Dawson for half the season and they’ve just grown into full blown doubts. I’m not sure he can get out from Mario’s bro-ball shadow.

The hypothesis is that WhatABurger will accept being #2 behind a guy like Taulia whereas Nelson would not. Anyone who says we don’t need a QB2 with JB and EW on roster is crazy IMO.

Dante Moore is a totally different argument. Maybe he thought our HC/OC wouldn’t develop him? It’s been a really bad cycle. I’ve had questions about Dawson for half the season and they’ve just grown into full blown doubts. I’m not sure he can get out from Mario’s bro-ball shadow.
I’m fine with the take as qb2 but if this kid brown, or emory is starting against Florida I will be worried

Advertisement
You can tag me. I am right here
ace ventura GIF

Advertisement
Why does Mario get 5 years but Manny 3?
Manny had the NCAA single game rushing record set on him. UNC rushed for 544 yards and had almost 800 yards of offense while Manny, "New Miami", got boat raced.

But, Mario better get squares away...or he might get shown the door after year 3.

The problem I have with Puffenburger is we turned down Dante Moore and Malachi Nelson because we wanted a proven, sure thing. 2024 was too important and we needed to win now.

Well no disrespect to UAlbany, but FCS football is barely above highschool level competition. The adjustment to the ACC for him will be massive… windows close a lot faster, the speed of the game. I basically view him as a high school recruit given the competition he’s played.

Contrast that with Taulia. He has proven himself against BETTER competition than he will play at Miami. He won’t be facing Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan here. If anythin, the speed of the game will slow down and we can reliably say he’ll match or exceed his performance at Maryland here at Miami
Moore was legit proving to not be good though. He increased his hs ranking a lot in his final season, then was bad this year.. Malachi Nelson wasn't wanted by Lincoln Riley after a year and apparently has a bad injury. Of course he was looking like one of the most legit out of HS last year. I liked Iamaleava over him for sure personally. Now obviously those guys have a lot of talent, and could definitely significantly improve. Also they'd be FAR more expensive than Puffenburger, who imo is more like a portal qb2 or a cheap guy you add when you miss on the guys you actually want and just need more competition with the guys you actually are going to start (emory/jacurri). Like legit I think we could get Sluka and Puffenburger and have them both compete for cheaper than Nelson/moore would probably even want tbh.

But yeah I agree Taulia is the guy now. I wouldn't expect him to be as good as TVD at his normal/great, but would expect him to be better than at his lows... Which can absolutely be the difference in winning more games. Plus I'd expect us to be healthier and improved at most positions again....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back