Reese Poffenbarger (UAlbany QB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Imagine giving an experienced coach unprecedented resources and pay, then making every excuse for that coach having a significantly worse record than the inexperienced one you just fired….
1704516323209.gif

I actually saw his game against Marshall. He flashed throughout but at no point did I think that he was a high level P5 QB. More like a good G5 level QB. I wasn’t expecting much so by that measure he impressed me but going from Ward to him would be very disappointing.

Marshall’s defense took a big step back without Guidry and they pretty much shut em down second half. I think the leap in competition would be too much. Maybe as a backup if we had a clear number 1 but we can’t put a make or break season in this kid’s hands.

Advertisement
Because this kid was trash against any team he played with a pulse.

He went 10/31 for 93 yards against Hawaii…HAWAII.
I’m not very impressed with the kid after watching his highlights, looks ok. But you can’t fault the kid for struggling vs a G5 team while playing for an FCS team.

The talent disparity is too great, his OL was likely getting mauled by Hawaiis DL and his WRs were probably struggling to get any separation from their DBs. Hawaii, even though they’re a bottom rung “D-1” school still out classes a “D-1AA” school physically across the board.

As a QB you’re a distributor and if the rest of your guys around you are completely physically outmatched, there is not much you can do.

With that said, I’d only take this kid as a backup and an arm for spring ball. I don’t see any way he beats out JB or Emory.
I think his ceiling is playing at a G5 school, doesn’t look like a good P5 QB to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who’s your friend when things get rough?
HR Pufnstuff
You can’t do a little cause you can’t do enough

I can't get 10-31 for 83 yards against Hawaii out of my head

I understand Hawaii still has the better athletes, but there is just no defense there.
It's an indefensible statline... Similar to what we already have on the team.

Advertisement
How about the games?

Manny Diaz took over at the end of 2018.

7-6 in 2018, #8 recruiting class
10-3 in 2017, #12 recruiting class
9-4 in 2016, #22 recruiting class

Mario took over at the end of 2021.

7-5 in 2021, #11 recruiting class
8-3 in 2020, #17 recruiting class
6-7 in 2019, #27 recruiting class

I just wanted to get my starting points straight. Manny inherited more talent and more success when he took over.

Agree with the games, but you can't ignore that Mario started out in a worse spot than where Manny started out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back