Redshirts question.

CFLCane

Junior
Banned
Legit question. Can anyone name the last UM player who redshirted his freshman year and continued on to play 4 more years before being drafted? Or any UM players the last 15 years for that matter. A lot of people clamor for more redshirts here but outside of OL and maybe a couple DL i don't recall it ever leading to future success.

Advertisement
Not sure if he'll get drafted but Rayshawn Jenkins maybe? Good question.

Not sure if he'll get drafted but Rayshawn Jenkins maybe? Good question.

He redshirted his junior year due to injury. I'm trying to recall anyone taking the more "traditional" route. The typical "underrated kid needs a year in the weight room or a year to learn the playbook"

Right. I did a quick look through the UM website and really couldn't find much of anybody. Certainly no skill players...

Advertisement
Not with our attrition the past four years. Teams like Alabama probably have more cause there's a bunch of guys sitting back waiting their turn opposed to here where we have depth issues and need the help right away.

Last edited:
I believe you only redshirt developmental talent, otherwise if the kid can play right away, you let'em play...

This basically means, if a QB isn't ready day 1 then he shirts, same with OL's... If they're not physically ready to play day 1 then shirt.

The only time you shirt RB's, WR's, DB's LB's & DL's, is if you already have a ton a depth in front of them & they haven't picked up the playbook yet.

With our situation, I wouldn't shirt any of our incoming DL's because we've had a ton of injuries along the line & both DJ and Garvin can contribute day 1 in certain packages.

I wouldn't shirt any of the WR's, RB's or CB's we have coming in... Steed will have to redshirt because of his injury, but the other LB's will absoluetly get PT this year, either late in games or on Special Teams.

The only kids in this 2017 class that need a redshirt are Dykstra, Gaynor, Hillery & I guess Feagles lol.

i think you missed the point of the post. If I redshirt and then start and excell the next 2 years, I'm gone. The really good are here 3 years and gone. Only a couple have stayed and helped themselves by staying. Again, no one posted a list of those that stayed and moved up. And now on top of that, we have players that are williig to sit out their last games to "prepare" for the draft.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The problem with this is you don't know what players that were NOT redshirted would have stuck around another year if they had been redshirted.

I'm not saying to redshirt freshman instead of getting them PT. When I think someone should get a RS it's because they wont contribute their 1st year and there is no reason not to preserve that extra year, especially if all they ended up playing was like 10 total plays.

Advertisement
Legit question. Can anyone name the last UM player who redshirted his freshman year and continued on to play 4 more years before being drafted? Or any UM players the last 15 years for that matter. A lot of people clamor for more redshirts here but outside of OL and maybe a couple DL i don't recall it ever leading to future success.
The problem is we havent had the oppurtunity to be put in that position cause of scholarship reductions. Isadora would be a perfect candidate to be here for one more year. Rayshawn Jenkins benefitted greatly from a redshirt that wouldve never happened if he didnt have back surgery. He looked extremely good in the bowl game. I dont believe Herndon is an NFL type player but he is a heck of an H-Back and couldve benefitted
and have 2 more years. McDermott, Moten, Trevor Darling, St. Loius and Trent Harris I dont believe are NFL guys that may not be stars but stick around for that extra year and not only provide depth that allow other players to redshirt and get acclimated to college instead of throwing them in the fire.

Advertisement
Back