Redshirts question.

Advertisement
Legit question. Can anyone name the last UM player who redshirted his freshman year and continued on to play 4 more years before being drafted? Or any UM players the last 15 years for that matter. A lot of people clamor for more redshirts here but outside of OL and maybe a couple DL i don't recall it ever leading to future success.
The problem is we havent had the oppurtunity to be put in that position cause of scholarship reductions. Isadora would be a perfect candidate to be here for one more year. Rayshawn Jenkins benefitted greatly from a redshirt that wouldve never happened if he didnt have back surgery. He looked extremely good in the bowl game. I dont believe Herndon is an NFL type player but he is a heck of an H-Back and couldve benefitted
and have 2 more years. McDermott, Moten, Trevor Darling, St. Loius and Trent Harris I dont believe are NFL guys that may not be stars but stick around for that extra year and not only provide depth that allow other players to redshirt and get acclimated to college instead of throwing them in the fire.

Isidora red-shirted in 2012.

Legit question. Can anyone name the last UM player who redshirted his freshman year and continued on to play 4 more years before being drafted? Or any UM players the last 15 years for that matter. A lot of people clamor for more redshirts here but outside of OL and maybe a couple DL i don't recall it ever leading to future success.
The problem is we havent had the oppurtunity to be put in that position cause of scholarship reductions. Isadora would be a perfect candidate to be here for one more year. Rayshawn Jenkins benefitted greatly from a redshirt that wouldve never happened if he didnt have back surgery. He looked extremely good in the bowl game. I dont believe Herndon is an NFL type player but he is a heck of an H-Back and couldve benefitted
and have 2 more years. McDermott, Moten, Trevor Darling, St. Loius and Trent Harris I dont believe are NFL guys that may not be stars but stick around for that extra year and not only provide depth that allow other players to redshirt and get acclimated to college instead of throwing them in the fire.

It wasn't because of scholarship reductions. It was because Golden gave out a lot of scholarships to knuckleheads and busts.

And Herndon is absolutely an NFL type player.

Advertisement
I think this speaks for the previous staffs' ability to make players better. Yeah, the high level guys came in and played right away but lower rated guys who got redshirted rarely improved. They came in as JAG and left JAG.

When have we had the luxury to redshirt top talent since Coker's last years? So if you're playing all your most talented kids right away, the odds a RS kid is going to go high in the draft go way down by definition.

And if you have good depth and don't need to play a TF, I don't think the question should be whether the kid will stay 4 or 5 years. It's whether or not a shirt will improve his development so he has more impact than not shirting him. Kids like Walford and Njoku needed that shirt. Most OL, DL and LBs need a shirt just to get big enough to handle the pounding they take every snap. Most QBs need a shirt not only so they physically develop, but also so they can visualize the defense and manage their progressions.

Advertisement

Isidora red-shirted in 2012.
Yes you are correct and he was our best o-lineman this year. So to answer OPs question yes it very important to redshirt guys. If they are good enough yes they will leave but you will have those guys who aren't NFL guys but are solid college players help you win and create depth.

Redshirting is for retards.

Only reason a guy should ever RS is if there are a bunch of guys in front of him who are better. It's pretty much a default RS because they guy can't get on the field.

You RS some OL because they're physically not ready to battle in the trenches yet. Sometimes you do that with a DT too. You also RS a QB because there's only one who can play at a time. Otherwise, play everyone else if they're good enough. Saving guys for later is moronic.

Redshirting is for retards. ... You RS some OL because they're physically not ready to battle in the trenches yet. Sometimes you do that with a DT too. You also RS a QB because there's only one who can play at a time.

That's my point, though. Redshirting is for retards depending on context, but not always. It's not about trying to get 5 years out of a kid. It should be about whether or not it will help the team with an extra year of development. You always rotate in a TF who's physically and mentally ready, especially if he can beat out the guy in front of him. But even elite kids aren't always ready.

Advertisement

Its not about leading to an indivduals future success. Redshirting is critical to building depth. Kids can benefit greatly by redshirting in terms of physical and mental maturity but even more so, the team benefits because you bench becomes stronger, more experienced, etc...

i think you missed the point of the post. If I redshirt and then start and excell the next 2 years, I'm gone. The really good are here 3 years and gone. Only a couple have stayed and helped themselves by staying. Again, no one posted a list of those that stayed and moved up. And now on top of that, we have players that are williig to sit out their last games to "prepare" for the draft.

Most that excel their first two years of playing are not the developmental type that need to redshirt. You're really asking if we had any exceptions, guys that needed a year to get ready then immediately became a star.

Also, we haven't had the depth (whether they were ready or not). Before that, since Coker, we've had the habit of cavalierly burning redshirts for the dumbest reasons. Numerous freshmen played early because "we needed them", then they wouldn't see the field the rest of the year (even on special teams) although we still needed them.

Advertisement
Personally i just don't see Miami ever being the type of school that redshirts an amount kids on par with teams from other regions. SFL recruits aren't being raised to wait their turn.

Last edited:
I believe CB Ryan McNeil was redshirted in 1988 and then started from 1989-1993 before playing 10 years in the league.

Advertisement
Back