Redshirting incoming freshmen

I guess I see it differently. We are in the hot bed of talent. We want three year guys. Red shirting is for winning every other year. That is not a Miami goal. playing right away will help with recruiting. We are looking for the best of the best. The best won't sit on the sideline; they want to play. With JC, graduate transfers, prep, and high school seniors, the goal should be 3 years to win. 5 year guys are holding up scholarship spots. Oh, I believed in taking the best player. This means if I could recruit a high school senior who I rate higher then a college roster soph. The high school senior gets the scholarship spot. Over the coarse of three years, my roster would be deep with talent. A coach on the hot seat can't wait to win.

Advertisement
I guess I see it differently. We are in the hot bed of talent. We want three year guys. Red shirting is for winning every other year. That is not a Miami goal. playing right away will help with recruiting. We are looking for the best of the best. The best won't sit on the sideline; they want to play. With JC, graduate transfers, prep, and high school seniors, the goal should be 3 years to win. 5 year guys are holding up scholarship spots. Oh, I believed in taking the best player. This means if I could recruit a high school senior who I rate higher then a college roster soph. The high school senior gets the scholarship spot. Over the coarse of three years, my roster would be deep with talent. A coach on the hot seat can't wait to win.

Where the f**k did you pull that gem from?

I would like a deeper scope into the entire statement actually.

Advertisement
i think charles perry is extremely talented but I'm not sure he is physically ready

i think charles perry is extremely talented but I'm not sure he is physically ready

Right now he is the same size as our starting will jermaine grace...he might be bigger. If like to shirt him but with him being an early enrollee and golden usual style he will run down on kick offs and punt team and blow the shirt

Right now he is the same size as our starting will jermaine grace...he might be bigger. If like to shirt him but with him being an early enrollee and golden usual style he will run down on kick offs and punt team and blow the shirt

true. i think he is extremely talented. he committed early and shut it down so he didnt get the buzz

Advertisement
Let's be honest, Golden is sure to ***** up the strategic value of redshirting. In year 4 a good coach would have recruited depth at all positions, thereby limiting need to play true freshmen.

Here's what I propose:

Shirreffs
Gauthier
Mahoney
Milo
Loftus
Willis
Norton
Patchan
McIntosh
Fines
King
Henley
I personally think red shirting is good... but i also think it has some negative effect on recruiting. Some of the high school studs think they are impact players already...so u mention red shirt and eyebrows go up...At the spring Greg Simmons was talking with Shaq and Zach and mentioned red shirting and in unison Zach and Shaq asked
.. WHY?

Last edited:
I can understand Walton, Johnson, and two OL's. The rest should shirt. We have numbers at OL but half are suspect. The other two were probably promised early time and they can help.

Advertisement

I don't agree with most of that statement either. Kids are more than happy to sit on the sidelines and wait if they are playing for a team that is gunning for NC's every year. Alabama is the perfect example of that. Now there are exceptions like the Amari Cooper's or Leonard Fournette's f the world, but most Freshman aren't playing at the schools consistently in the top 5 - but those schools are getting top 10 recruiting classes. Just an opinion.

Here's what I propose:

Shirreffs
Gauthier
Mahoney
Milo
Loftus
Willis
Norton
Patchan
McIntosh
Fines
King
Henley
I personally think red shirting is good... but i also it has some negative effect on recruiting. Some of the high school studs think they are impact players already...so u mention red shirt and eyebrows go up...At the spring Greg Simmons was talking with Shaq and Zach and mentioned red shirting and in unison Zach and Shaq asked
.. WHY?

yeah, Why would they? They are going to a Miami team that is .500 at best. I wouldn't redshirt there either.

Highly doubt Milo RS. Just based on numbers and quality. He's a couple injuries from starting.

Advertisement

I don't agree with most of that statement either. Kids are more than happy to sit on the sidelines and wait if they are playing for a team that is gunning for NC's every year. Alabama is the perfect example of that. Now there are exceptions like the Amari Cooper's or Leonard Fournette's f the world, but most Freshman aren't playing at the schools consistently in the top 5 - but those schools are getting top 10 recruiting classes. Just an opinion.

Early in Shaq's recruiting I asked him: Shaq would you want to be on the sideline at Bama and win a National Championship on be a contributor on UCF and win the conference championship... His reply was I want to contribute... That would not be my ring at Bama.

Early in Shaq's recruiting I asked him: Shaq would you want to be on the sideline at Bama and win a National Championship on be a contributor on UCF and win the conference championship... His reply was I want to contribute... That would not be my ring at Bama.
Real talk: that sounds a little selfish, dear friend.

Real talk: that sounds a little selfish, dear friend.
A bit... but if we are not a little selfish we will be devoured in this mean cruel world.. He wants to play... most of the top kids are the same... I grew up in a generation when there were only 4 trophies past out in little league... Most Improve. MVP Def. MVP Off. and MVP.. no participation trophies.. Forgive me if I'm wrong.. I want to help my team win not watch my team win... and i guess apples don't fall far from the tree

There isn't a lot of instant impact guys in this class. Worst class of Golden Era. Maybe 5 or 6 will see the field this year.

Advertisement
Back