Redshirting incoming freshmen

Can we get a list of how many of the incoming guys won't be on the roster in 2 years? Thanks, Al.

Advertisement
Walton won't redshirt... he might end up being our starting RB at somepoint in the season.

Yearby has to prove that he's durable enough to withstand taking hits the entire season, and Gus is a 3rd & 4th quarter RB... Not that GUS doesn't have value, but I see him more as a closer than an every down RB.

Early in Shaq's recruiting I asked him: Shaq would you want to be on the sideline at Bama and win a National Championship on be a contributor on UCF and win the conference championship... His reply was I want to contribute... That would not be my ring at Bama.
Real talk: that sounds a little selfish, dear friend.
A bit... but if we are not a little selfish we will be devoured in this mean cruel world.. He wants to play... most of the top kids are the same... I grew up in a generation when there were only 4 trophies past out in little league... Most Improve. MVP Def. MVP Off. and MVP.. no participation trophies.. Forgive me if I'm wrong.. I want to help my team win not watch my team win... and i guess apples don't fall far from the tree

Well said, dear friend. However, you can contribute even if you redshirt. I think it becomes selfish when you say "if I'm not playing on Saturdays, then that's not my ring." That sets up an atmosphere of pouting and not helping your teammates if your number's not getting called.

Advertisement
I guess I see it differently. We are in the hot bed of talent. We want three year guys. Red shirting is for winning every other year. That is not a Miami goal. playing right away will help with recruiting. We are looking for the best of the best. The best won't sit on the sideline; they want to play. With JC, graduate transfers, prep, and high school seniors, the goal should be 3 years to win. 5 year guys are holding up scholarship spots. Oh, I believed in taking the best player. This means if I could recruit a high school senior who I rate higher then a college roster soph. The high school senior gets the scholarship spot. Over the coarse of three years, my roster would be deep with talent. A coach on the hot seat can't wait to win.

Where the f**k did you pull that gem from?

I don't agree with most of that statement either. Kids are more than happy to sit on the sidelines and wait if they are playing for a team that is gunning for NC's every year. Alabama is the perfect example of that. Now there are exceptions like the Amari Cooper's or Leonard Fournette's f the world, but most Freshman aren't playing at the schools consistently in the top 5 - but those schools are getting top 10 recruiting classes. Just an opinion.

Early in Shaq's recruiting I asked him: Shaq would you want to be on the sideline at Bama and win a National Championship on be a contributor on UCF and win the conference championship... His reply was I want to contribute... That would not be my ring at Bama.

i'll take that comment at face value. So the ring his first year might not be his, but the others he gets his 2nd or 3rd years would be. I'm guessing he won't get one in college at Miami (unfortunately for us fans). There is also a huge intangible benefit that comes from playing at a place that is always winning. Anyone who has played on bad teams knows it's a lot more fun winning than it is being a great player on a horrible team.

Advertisement
Back