Reddit post breaks down Miami

That was quite a detailed write up. Here are some things I noticed:

1) Garvin, like someone else said, went criminally unmentioned.

2) He called Walton a “transformational talent.” That seems to fly in the face of many discussions on here of late and also seems to overlook Walton’s production vs power 5 teams dropping off a lot compared to how he performed vs the Toledos of the world.

3) He seems completely unaware of the existence of Gerald Willis. But based on his analysis of the defense, Willis is going to have to play like a “transformational talent” this season or else the defense is going to take a big step back.

4) He watched tons of film and came way believing that Knowles belongs in the safety rotation. How is that even possible?

5) His analysis of Rosier was insightful. I thought he gave a good explanation of his late season struggles and also really seemed to hit on something with the “happy feet” and failure to produce anything positive when the play breaks down angle.

This happens alot, I hear coaches even praising players sometimes that fans deem as scrubs. It happens.

Garvin really only flashed a couple plays, the fans love it because they were in 2 of the biggest games and he made splash strip sacks, but D. Jackson has been in many big games last couple years, as fans we have emotions involved but he is unbiased just charting plays. To him he sees #31 make more plays.

Willis didnt play last year at all, why would he mention him, he isnt a miami fan, just broke down season as a project. People in comments made him aware of it tho.

Like mentioned I laughed at the knowles mention, because most of us see him as a scrub who should never see the field. Heck today Diaz mentioned him as one of the improved players from last year. He will still be on field.

Advertisement
I love breakdowns like these. It keeps us as fans grounded. Too much narrow-mindedness going on with our fanbase imo.

The only thing I will question is Knowles but I do understand why he mentioned him. It was merely a breakdown of last season so he doesn't know about transfers, freshmen, STRIKER position, etc.

" But the real issue, which I think reverberated throughout the entire team’s performance, was that this group was so ineffective at run blocking. The problem was footwork - they just weren’t creating the leverage that this zone-blocking scheme requires, and without a solid push into defensive lines the RBs were bouncing off the line and forced to improvise a whole lot. In turn that made the run game (which put up deceptively good overall numbers) extremely feast-or-famine, which translated into an inability to sit on the clock or set up a convincing play-action pass game. By the end of the year defenses were playing a pretty light box, covering the QB or RB as run threats only as outside bounces (or just another receiver), and freeing up a defender to both bracket Berrios and get extensive safety help against Miami’s plethora of deep weapons. That’s the last piece of the puzzle for why I think Rosier’s dip in performance should be evaluated in a fuller context. "

"DC Diaz’s scheme completely abandons gap integrity and instructs backers and run-support safeties to react instantly and take whichever run fits they see immediately. It’s highly aggressive and sometimes devastatingly effective, but at the risk of uselessly doubling up on gaps, losing edge contain, or just plain guessing wrong and getting taken out of the play. "

These two stood out to me the most and needs to be refined if we want to have similar or better success.
Manny's scheme is hit-or-miss for the most part so Shaq, Pinck, and McCloud are going to have recognize plays faster and have better awareness with an inexperienced interior DL.

I'm not versed in understanding how offensive lines work but if anyone is, what is the cause of erratic footwork and how is it usually fixed?

Pretty much explains the defensive analysis. if you miss that jugular, you lose.

Welcome to third down.

That’s the story of many Canes championship teams. It’s why we have safeties. Win more than you lose, and you get to win big. Gotta stop them on 3rd and long though.

Advertisement
I’m actually less concerned with replacing him than Norton. Willis may be better than MCIntosh. We don’t seem to have another Norton.

My concern was more of a general concern about the D tackle position as a whole. The writer of the reddit piece mentioned RJ McIntosh specifically so I ran with his comment.

In regards to his comment about the LBs being too aggressive, that's why the coaches preach tackling to the DBs and are only recruiting guys who are willing tacklers.

We were one of the top Ds in the nation in havoc rate last year. We also needed Jaquan and some of the others (like Bandy the 1st play vs VT) to make touchdown-saving tackles.

As long as we have a great deep Safety, and we had Rayshawn, now Jaquan, and hopefully then Gurvan, we should be fine with this style.

Without a great deep Safety though, Manny's D doesnt work, as his stint in Texas proved

In regards to his comment about the LBs being too aggressive, that's why the coaches preach tackling to the DBs and are only recruiting guys who are willing tacklers.

We were one of the top Ds in the nation in havoc rate last year. We also needed Jaquan and some of the others (like Bandy the 1st play vs VT) to make touchdown-saving tackles.

As long as we have a great deep Safety, and we had Rayshawn, now Jaquan, and hopefully then Gurvan, we should be fine with this style.

Without a great deep Safety though, Manny's D doesnt work, as his stint in Texas proved

But exactly why it's a perfect fit at The U, which can consistently get fast, athletic dogs. I have said for years that the D scheme at Miami should basically be see football, get football. That's effectively what Diaz does. As the original author put it, it's Jimmy Johnson's scheme.

The results are there. Keep recruiting SFL guys well and we'll be just fine.

Advertisement
But exactly why it's a perfect fit at The U, which can consistently get fast, athletic dogs. I have said for years that the D scheme at Miami should basically be see football, get football. That's effectively what Diaz does. As the original author put it, it's Jimmy Johnson's scheme.

The results are there. Keep recruiting SFL guys well and we'll be just fine.

Great point. Which is exactly how sfla kids are taught play as soon they can pick up a ball.

I'm hoping Simpson taking over the DL will improve the run defense. Kuligowski prioritized the pass rush, and I think it left the run defense exposed at times.

That’s the story of many Canes championship teams. It’s why we have safeties. Win more than you lose, and you get to win big. Gotta stop them on 3rd and long though.
I agree with you, but at the same time would agree Manny unnecessary went for the “win big play”, ie blitzing on 3rd down rather than planning it simple and letting our athletes make a play.

I think I know the answer and point to our awful 3rd down conversion %, but curious to see what % does Manny blitz on 3rd down and then of those plays what % do we get the stop.

I forget what site or magazine publishes it, but last year they had other anonymous ACC coaches talk about Miami and that was a comment, Manny outsmarts himself with unnecessarily blitzing too much

Advertisement
My concern is with his comments on the secondary: "Some of these guys need to work on their form tackle, though - I saw a lot of hotshot “big hit” stuff which let ballcarriers step through, around, or even (embarrassingly) over low-flying DBs."

Advertisement
My concern was more of a general concern about the D tackle position as a whole. The writer of the reddit piece mentioned RJ McIntosh specifically so I ran with his comment.
I think we are being way too optimistic about our depth across the entire defense. We are not deep in many positions.

I'm not a Rosier advocate by any stretch, but he is the one taking all the heat this off-season. Its like the fan base forgot how bad Richt's playcalling was for large stretches of the season. I think we will be calling for the same changes after a few games. We need a full-time OC, who brings new wrinkles to the offense.

I think we are being way too optimistic about our depth across the entire defense. We are not deep in many positions.

I'm not a Rosier advocate by any stretch, but he is the one taking all the heat this off-season. Its like the fan base forgot how bad Richt's playcalling was for large stretches of the season. I think we will be calling for the same changes after a few games. We need a full-time OC, who brings new wrinkles to the offense.

I wanted to fade Richt about most of his playcalls last year. HE NEEDS TO BE A BETTER PLAYCALLER. We have so many studs on offense.

Advertisement
Back