Red Zone Offense was 122nd in 2019, 17th in 2020

That is a pretty impressive upgrade.

Pretty impressive? If we’re gonna call it like we see it, good and the bad, let’s be consistent. That’s a huge improvement and very impressive.

I say that with full awareness that the bar was low af. Numbers never should’ve been that low to begin with. Still, thats a massive improvement.

Advertisement
My only gripe with Lash is his lack of imagination in the run game and over use of King running, which I don't think is his best attribute. He did more with less. All of his Air Raid concepts from Dykes require a WR that can win 50/50 balls. It was pointed out multiple times in the preview articles how often they put the ball up for a WR to make a play. We will be limited until we have that. I was impressed with what I saw this year

Only complaint I had all year was how often it felt like we wasted downs by being predictable in the run game. Seems like every first down we ran some variation of an inside zone play directly into the rear end of one of our linemen. Now that is more to do with our OL not getting any push but the lack of creativity and imagination on those plays did the OL no favors either. With that said, it was more of a nitpick than anything as the offense was actually fun to watch for the first time in what feels like forever. Pumped to see what Lash can do with a full offseason, WR's that can catch, a more developed OL and just an all around infusion of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

If we can develop an OL that gets a push, those "wasted downs" turn into 3-5 yard gains and this offense is humming. Those QB draws that continually got stuffed was frustrating but it did lead to big plays with those routes down the seam.

Rambo, Harley, and Redding/K Smith (in their 2nd seasons) will be a huge upgrade from Pope, Wiggins, and Harley. It will be a night and day difference.
Right and I had to keep reminding myself thru out the season that, he was setting up a bigger play down the line.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back