Red Zone Offense was 122nd in 2019, 17th in 2020

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lashlee had some nice wrinkles that he utilized in the RZ. The offense as a whole, not just the RZ, will continue to improve as we fix our issues (WRs and OL continuing to develop). Lashlee is legit.
"If only they could catch". Lashlee set up everything and took some thumps waiting on big play. When you drop perfectly executed bombs it fvcks everything up.

Advertisement
I will say that the stat in question was simply the % drives ending in points vs the number of drives that entered the red zone. A true ranking would probably look at opportunity points. In the above it gives the same credit to a fg as it does a TD.

As an aside, UMASS got to the red zone twice this year.

Advertisement
There isn’t much year to year correlation between red zone scoring % and top offenses.

It’s more about how many times you’re getting to scoring position.

5CE30D58-7E62-4F10-AB73-4CDEF1DD93D0.jpeg

In addition to the beyond noticeable Offensive improvements...

2nd in the ACC, 24th in the Nation...

But we actually had people heavily criticizing this guy after the season 🤦🏽‍♂️😂

That is a pretty impressive upgrade.

The offense is what determines wins/losses today although it's not going to stop the whining about Diaz picking himself for DC. In 2018 and 2019, the defense was better by every subjective and objective measure. We had 7 wins and 6 wins respectively. 2020 was the worst defense we've had by far in three years and we went 8-3. If it had been a normal non-covid season most sane people agree that we would have won 10 (still lose to UNC, but no Clemson on the schedule, maybe one other random loss- probably to Pitt with Pickett since he's the best there ever was). I'm still not sold on Lashlee. He looked outclassed a couple of times this season and was getting ragdolled but I can't fully say he's to blame yet. On one hand we have only one reliable WR. On the other, I wish I'd seen him go to 22 personnel or something creative and just forget about throwing to Wiggins and Pope. Maybe he didn't have time with the shortened offseason to put in all the wrinkles he wanted. We'll see next year.

Advertisement
Lashlee and the O staff are all good in my books. We could use a couple WR's and Interior linemen but overall a good first year.

Lashlee was def a much needed upgrade and if he had better WRs to work with, he prob would have been even better. He just need to find that balance between wasting downs and setting up for plays down the line

If we can develop an OL that gets a push, those "wasted downs" turn into 3-5 yard gains and this offense is humming. Those QB draws that continually got stuffed was frustrating but it did lead to big plays with those routes down the seam.

Rambo, Harley, and Redding/K Smith (in their 2nd seasons) will be a huge upgrade from Pope, Wiggins, and Harley. It will be a night and day difference.

I try not to disparage my Cane brethren, but anyone who's complains about Lashlee with what he had to work with and the time he had to work with them is a little suspect.
I'll be interested to see if he's on the field next year as well, I was always impressed that he constantly pulled King aside when he came of the field and spoke with him, is that his MO or was it due to the lack of time/prep with King.

Advertisement
Back