Recruits Talk Miami At Battle 7v7

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
The Battle 7v7 tournament took place in Miami last weekend with tons of top talent on hand. I had a chance to catch up with multiple top targets for Miami to see what recruits are saying about the Canes.

One of the biggest takeaways was that new offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee has offensive players excited.

2022 St Thomas Aquinas QB Zion Turner was one of the first 2022 quarterbacks Lashlee offered after being hired.

“It was a great experience. I got a text from Coach (Roger) Harriott in class that the offensive coordinator offered me.” Zion continued, “I know that he runs a really spread offense passing the ball. I look forward to seeing what they do this season.”

2021 Miami commit and Miami Northwestern TE Kahlil Brantley also commented on the new offense.

“The new offense, they are going to go spread a lot. Whatever you want me to do on the field, I can do. I’m versatile.”

One of Coach Lashlee's first stops out on the road was at Cardinal Gibbons to visit 2021 receiver Troy Stellato. Miami is not in Stellato’s top group right now, but they can get back in the running for the talented receiver.

“If they make a good (receivers coach) hire and they recruit me and show a lot of interest, they can get back in my top group.”

Stellato will not wait until national signing day to commit, so Miami needs to start making up ground immediately if they are going to be a player.

“I want to be committed before the start of the season. I want to be focused on winning and winning another state championship with my teammates.”

It wasn’t all about the offensive guys. There were also highly-ranked defensive players at the tournament as well. One of those highly-rated players was 2021 Chaminade-Madonna LB Terrance Lewis. Lewis has a few schools ahead of Miami, but he was clear about what they need to do to make a move with him.

“Show me they need me.”

Many people think losing is one of the biggest reasons Miami has struggled in recruiting at times, but Lewis claims he does not worry much about wins and losses when picking a school.

“I don’t mind things like that. Nebraska wasn’t good on the field, but they show a lot of love.”

Another defensive player I spoke to was 2021 Miami Palmetto DB Corey Collier. Collier is considering Miami, but he wants to see improvement in the secondary. Collier is confident that this will happen this upcoming season.

“I know Coach Banda and Coach Rumph are going to get that together. They are going to be straight.”

One of the areas where Miami can be especially appealing to recruits is if they show they are willing to play freshmen, as both Collier and Stellato mentioned the importance of being able to play early as well.

Advertisement
These kids saying **** like "Show me you need me" or "Show me alot of interest" really have no interest in Miami and just want an excuse not to come to Miami. Collier seems legit in his response. Yeah, Miami need to leave these Miami Divas alone.

Last edited:
Good write-up Matthew. I too worry about the diva issue. But I also know you can’t sit back and expect kids to show up, we need to be much more active in recruiting with a much larger/deeper board. Looks like this new staff is more motivated which is a good sign.

Advertisement
Advertisement
“If they make a good (receivers coach) hire and they recruit me and show a lot of interest, they can get back in my top group"

Translation: When pigs can fly & **** freezes over...

There's a ton of other WR's I would want over Stellato anyway. He was locked down last year when MNW played Gibbons & he was going up against much smaller but more physical CB's. He only had 3rec for 16yds vs us.

“If they make a good (receivers coach) hire and they recruit me and show a lot of interest, they can get back in my top group"

There's a ton of other WR's I would want over Stellato anyway. He was locked down last year when MNW played Gibbons & he was going up against much smaller but more physical CB's. He only had 3rec for 16yds vs us.
Them gibbon's fairies are no match for them Bulls. Bring your sorry ft. Lauderdale butt to Traz and get licked....

And as crazy as this may sound, T2 is actually a lot more open with his recruitment than yall think...

The problem is we don't have a juggernaut recruiter on the Defensive side of the ball, really on Offense either but the Defensive staff gets their lunch money tooken by just about everybody on the trail, especially at LB.

Big mistake for Diaz not replacing Patke this offseason with a pure ace shooter, instead we got this lame that couldn't sell a bottle of water to a dehydrated man in the Mojave desert.

Advertisement

You have no clue, don’t put a kid down when you don’t know him. The only reason he had 3 rec, 16 yards is because his QB couldn’t throw the rock because of the Presure from the D, he had literally 2 seconds to throw the ball the whole game. Sacked 20 times. That’s the only reason. Ask Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama and LSU and the other 35 schools who want him big time for his talents. I think they know talent. He’s one of the top 3 WRs in S Florida in the 21 class bar none. He’s a DOG with 4.4 (verified) speed.

Advertisement
You have no clue, don’t put a kid down when you don’t know him. The only reason he had 3 rec, 16 yards is because his QB couldn’t throw the rock because of the Presure from the D, he had literally 2 seconds to throw the ball the whole game. Sacked 20 times. That’s the only reason. Ask Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama and LSU and the other 35 schools who want him big time for his talents. I think they know talent. He’s one of the top 3 WRs in S Florida in the 21 class bar none. He’s a DOG with 4.4 (verified) speed.
Thanks for proving me right. The need to defend the kid proves my point. The Gibbon's girls got licked by the Northwestern boys....

And as crazy as this may sound, T2 is actually a lot more open with his recruitment than yall think...

The problem is we don't have a juggernaut recruiter on the Defensive side of the ball, really on Offense either but the Defensive staff gets their lunch money tooken by just about everybody on the trail, especially at LB.

Big mistake for Diaz not replacing Patke this offseason with a pure ace shooter, instead we got this lame that couldn't sell a bottle of water to a dehydrated man in the Mojave desert.
Patke just seems like an absolute terrible fit at Miami. Should have just got rid of him and hired Devin bush or someone else who can recruit

Last edited:

When you watch Stellato’s film, it’s a lot of drags where he just uses his speed.

I’m looking forward to watching him compete against aggressive press coverage on the camp circuit.

Advertisement
Back