Recruiting Update 4/15/18: Post Spring Game

View as article
With who I realistically expect Miami to land. They could still have a top 10 class. Long way to go. Miami is going to pick up some dudes through these next few months.
I sure hope so Geo because we've lost momentum bro. Def need a couple shake-ups during the evaluation period and summer camp.

Really hope Paradise is crazy this year!

Advertisement
Anything lower than a top 8 class is a red flag. In this next 3-5 years we should be beating the bricks off of FSU n UF on the trail. I can almost guarantee both school will finish in the top 15. We better capitalize on our stability n dominate the state.

Advertisement
Geo, momentum seems like it has slowed down for us and FSU and UF are heating up. We need to get a QB wrapped up soon, any word on new prospects we're going after at QB?
When do you honestly believe that Smith will pull the trigger and flip? It seems as if he wanted to already and we're slow playing him. Is any of my thinking valid?
Losing Ladson stings we really need to pull a big dawg soon to rebuild that momentum.

I’m concerned; no b.s. I’m not sure the staff has learned it’s lesson yet.

I said in 2017, we cannot have a long losing streak in 2018, and wouldn’t u know, we closed out the year losing 3 straight in horrible fashion.

The Spring Game had no juice behind it. Hopefully Paradise Camp turn the tide, but right now, I have a bad feeling about this class.

Good write up Geo. Something just seems off about this class. Like they just cant decide on who they want, while the guys they definitely want remain just out of reach. As posted above, guys like Davis, Carter and Couch are being recruited and are ready to commit, but aren't takes. They had to let a few guys walk after accepting their commitments too early. And I get it. Evals change minds. Its not that its wasted effort. But recruiting a guy and talking to him almost every day, only to tell him you wont accept his commitment right now is gonna close that door with at least a few of them.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Rumph, but after the misses he's had, I hope he has a **** good feeling about the other guys he's recruiting, if he wont accept Davis commitment. Paradise camp cant get here soon enough.

Also find it hilarious that Ladson is intrigued by playing with Lawrence. Remember the opening? Yes it was a 7 on 7. But he might consider asking the 9 Miami signees (excluding Williams), who played with both QBs, which guy they would rather have as their QB: Williams or Lawrence.

Geo, any idea what would get our leans to commit? Is there 1 recruit who's commitment would get the ball rolling for us this year the way Lo did last year? And IF there is, who is it and for the love of god... can we expect them to commit anytime soon?

Advertisement
And Mellusi at RB. he didn't come yesterday and his name was never mentioned. He seemed pretty interested two weeks ago - said he was coming back with his dad. He is Mammarelli's friend. I thought he was a take and if we got Sanders it was icing on the cake

I said on NSD that we wouldn't have a Top 10 class this cycle, and got killed for it. Thing is, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing as long as we hit on our targets particularly at LB, DE, DB and OL.

We'll be okay, but I do question slow playing guys like Jaden Davis. I don't get it.

With all three spring games concluded for the Big 3 in the state of Florida. I gathered some info from multiple sources and people I’ve spoken to and prospects over this weekend.

In light of Tecory Couch commitment to Michigan. I have found out from two seperate sources today regarding Couch commitment not being taken by Miami. On top of that, surprisingly found out Jaden Davis is not a take for Miami at this moment as well.

Where does that leave Miami in regards to targets at corner? Joshua Sanguinetti, John Dixon, Renardo Green & Akeem Dent. Along with new JUCO CB offeree Elijah Blades. With the possibility of Tyrique Stevenson at corner but Miami has been approaching him as a safety at this point. There is also Chris Steele from OOS who is slated to visit for Paradise Camp in June according to @ErickMarreroU .

Where is Miami’s focus at corner, from the gist of it. It seems like it’s more size at corner as most of these prospects are 6’0”+. It resonates with what I was told tonight in regards to Miami’s approach at the position.

I mentioned earlier this week about Renato Brown uncertainty in this class and received mixed reviews when I dug for further info. One source claims Brown is solid to Miami “for now” but Alabama is a player in his recruitment and is a “Kul guy”. Was also told he is not a take for Alabama at this moment. Another source had spoken with a Miami staffer and mentioned he has kind of fallen down the board a bit, which can explain loss in communication. Brown visited UF for their Spring Game on Saturday.

Brandon Cunningham decommitting and committing to Misssippi State was no surprise. Communication between Miami and him had fallen tremendously within the last few months. Miami simply moved on from him.

While Jesiah Pierre visited UF this weekend. He is still committed to Miami for now but UF must be watched closely in his recruitment.

I expect Miami to continue to recruit and chip away at Frank Ladson regardless of his commitment to Clemson. A source mentioned the appeal of playing with Trevor Lawrence was a factor in his commitment.

Some OOS names that can emerge at WR are Jadon Haselwood, Kendrell Scurry & Ramel Keyton. I have been told from two seperate GA sources who know Haselwood personally, that his interest in Miami is legit but Oklahoma will be a big player in his recruitment. Despite his commitment to Georgia right now. Haselwood is currently the #1 WR in the nation according to composite rankings at this time. I don’t think Miami will offer John Dunmore.

Miami has also been recruiting Mark-Antony Richards on offense lately. (Personal note: While I do like Richards ceiling at S a lot. He participated at Paradise last year as a WR and was one of my standouts of the Camp.)

Dontae Lucas committing to FSU was no surprise. I’m confident he will stick with that commitment as well, despite the possibility of any visits from him. Him & his family have a long standing relationship with coach Telly Lockette at FSU that I’ve explained before.

Despite Khris Bogle recent visits to other schools and Miami on Thursday. I am hearing that Miami still stands in a very good spot for him.

While Brendan Gant did not come to Miami’s Spring Game. When I spoke to him, he mentioned to me that he will be back on campus for another visit very soon. While he is committed to Alabama at the moment, I currently have him slated to choose FSU at this time.

Two potential offers that could go out on the OL board during spring evaluation. Wardrick Wilson of Doral Acadamy & Mark Fox Jr. of Miami Northwestern. Wilson is currently committed to UF and Fox Jr. to South Carolina at this moment. I have heard Wilson could be a likely flip candidate if offered.(Personal note: Have seen Wilson in person at camps and he passes the eye test. Very big kid and lot of room to get better as a bookend tackle.)

Miami did not get any public commitments but I was asked this question the other day. Who would be likely to commit to Miami in the near future?

I still stand very firm on Keontra Smith, Kenny McIntosh, Avery Huff & Braylen Ingraham during the off-season. With Smith being the likely next commitment for Miami.

I am not ready to make a projection on Michael Johnson Jr. just yet, but I think Miami is definitely trending up.

Miami stands in a very good position right now with Don Chaney Jr., Caziah Holmes, Elijah Roberts, Marcus Dumervil, Jonathan Denis & Fred Davis.

I could see anyone of these guys committing over the off-season.

Miami hosted some kids like Amari Daniels, Jason Marshall, Corey Collier Jr., Laurence Seymour(Miami Commit) & James Williams(Miami Commit) over the weekend. Who are all future blue chippers, but I want to highlight one particular individual.

Although a long time away, I have heard that Miami has made a move with 2021 Booker T. Washington WR Jacorey Brooks. He has visited Miami twice the past two weeks. The best WR in his class for South Florida and possibly the state, a likely 4-5* prospect in due time. I have been told from a source that this will shape up into a Miami & LSU Battle.(Personal Note: I have seen Brooks a few times in person and it’s incredible how advanced he is for his age. He’s better than quite a few 2019 and 2020 WRs in Florida right now with P5 offers.)

If there is any other questions. Please feel free to post in here and ask away.
Chris steele has told us its between us and oregon with us leading. His father & him love it here.
For what its worth id find it a lil interesting that he tweeted out the date set thing while still in norman...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Unless we have a big year I’d expect an underwhelming class.
2020 will be better than 2019 class imo and I’ve said that before
Good write up Geo. Something just seems off about this class. Like they just cant decide on who they want, while the guys they definitely want remain just out of reach. As posted above, guys like Davis, Carter and Couch are being recruited and are ready to commit, but aren't takes. They had to let a few guys walk after accepting their commitments too early. And I get it. Evals change minds. Its not that its wasted effort. But recruiting a guy and talking to him almost every day, only to tell him you wont accept his commitment right now is gonna close that door with at least a few of them.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Rumph, but after the misses he's had, I hope he has a **** good feeling about the other guys he's recruiting, if he wont accept Davis commitment. Paradise camp cant get here soon enough.

Also find it hilarious that Ladson is intrigued by playing with Lawrence. Remember the opening? Yes it was a 7 on 7. But he might consider asking the 9 Miami signees (excluding Williams), who played with both QBs, which guy they would rather have as their QB: Williams or Lawrence.

Geo, any idea what would get our leans to commit? Is there 1 recruit who's commitment would get the ball rolling for us this year the way Lo did last year? And IF there is, who is it and for the love of god... can we expect them to commit anytime soon?
Rumph is cool with Jaden Davis dad I thought I read And he has known the kid for along time. If you remember correctly last cycle rumph pushed early on for asaunte Samuel but at the time Diaz didn’t want him. Same thing can be at play here....

Advertisement
Let me be a optimistic fan for once--It's only April you guys. Paradise Camp hasn't even happened yet. Let it play out and if we have similar momentum after then we should worry.

Back to reality--with that being said, its a bit concerning to have so few targets at certain positions especially along the trenches. Why isn't Wright more of a priority? Putnam? Apparent that we have a weakness at OT but refuse to target any of the top 20 OT. With R Brown most likely gone, the staff should be in contact with Sorrels 24/7 along with Davis.

I also can't help but notice UF and FSU bringing in multiple 5* visitors . FSU now has the #2 class and just had the #1 player in the nation say that visiting there was "one of the best" visits he's had. A question that may or may not be rhetorical but one that I've been pondering for a while, why don't we go after top players? I understand that we're in an area where we shouldn't have to leave often but if an Aaron Donald type prospect, with interest, is sitting in another state shouldn't he be more of a priority over a local 3* that's easily obtainable?

2020 will be better than 2019 class imo and I’ve said that before
Rumph is cool with Jaden Davis dad I thought I read And he has known the kid for along time. If you remember correctly last cycle rumph pushed early on for asaunte Samuel but at the time Diaz didn’t want him. Same thing can be at play here....

That's a big red flag to me. This staff's love for size at the corner position. It bit them in the *** with Samuel, and it looks like it's going to bite them again.

Miami in Recruiting under Mark Richt shoot for every 1A player but gets stuck with 3A players.

Miami in Recruiting under Golden shot for every 1B player and got stuck with 3C players.
Wtf are you talking about? We just had our best class since 03

Advertisement
Back