Recruiting Update 12/14

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
As I've been doing for the past few days, I will be adding updates to this thread as the day progresses.

**Here's a really cool story on Miami commit Jamal Carter: He will be visiting LSU this weekend, but Carter also revealed something really interesting on his twitter page this morning.

"Jus chilled wit my future coaches until It was time to check in."

"They really came to chill wit me before I went on a visit to another college! Dats real!!"

So apparently a group of Miami coaches went to meet with him at the airport with him before he got going. That's a really unique and aggressive strategy that Carter obviously appreciated. In another tweet, he told good friend Deon Bush that it was Paul Williams, Mike Barrow, and Mark D'Onofrio that went to see him at the airport. He also tweeted at Bush that he would be visiting Miami on January 18th. I've reiterated this a couple times over the past weeks, but I don't see much to worry about with Carter's commitment.

**In a follow-up to to the Carter update, January 18th is shaping up to be a huge visit weekend. Some names that are tentatively expected for visits for that weekend include: Jamal Carter, Tim Williams, Standish Dobard, Kevin Olsen, Dee Liner, and Alex Collins. More names could be added and some may not make it, but either way, that's an impressive early list thus far.

**I would be shocked if Devante Bond doesn't pick Miami sooner rather than later. The staff has put the full-court press on him the past couple of weeks. Tito Benach has been on top of the situation for weeks and here is his update with him from last night after meeting with Al Golden and Jethro Franklin: http://canesinsight.co/content.php?971-Bond-Talks-about-Coaches-Visit.

(Update: Bond committed tonight)

**In regards to Tim Williams, he has been nearly impossible to get on the phone for an interview so it's tough for me to definitively say where he's leaning. I did talk to a Louisiana source last week who told me that if signing day was today (remember this was last week) that Williams would be a 'Cane. As far as his grades, which some people have had questions about, the same person told me that while his grades aren't "incredible," they should be good enough to qualify.

**Class of 2012 DB Willie Bailey (Hallandale) has been granted a release from UF. Bailey has contacted Miami and there is mutual interest.

The 6'1", 175 pound DB was an early Miami commitment in 2011 before switching to UF in April 2011.

Here are Bailey's highlights from his senior year in high school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRqDfILvL9E

**DT Keith Bryant received a visit from Jethro Franklin today in school.

**A surprise visitor this weekend for Miami is Prep school OL Sonny Odogwu. I had mentioned last Sunday that Miami was still recruiting him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks Pete. Good to hear Deon is in his ear. Deon, Duke, and Tracy need to stay on these kids to stay home.

Finally, good news again. I believe everything will fall into place and that when all's said and done, we'll end up with a very good class considering all the obstacles.

Advertisement
This staff is insane. Meeting kids at the airport. Can't say they aren't getting after it.

Thanks, Pete. Starting to have this feeling that we're going to whiff on DL and RB.

Advertisement
Did I blink and miss when Alex Collins said he was visiting on the 18th?

That's huge news to me.

And yeah that's an awesome story about Carter. When you have a staff full of guys that know how to recruit, you don't throw panic tantrums in December.

Thanks, Pete. Starting to have this feeling that we're going to whiff on DL and RB.

DT: Yes, I do not see any impact guys for the third year in a row (2 for Golden and company).
RB: Yes, but that may be a function of trying to go 1 or nothing (Collins) and then the guy from Venice scrubbing out in practice. Staff is scrabbling to cover that up now.

Advertisement
Thanks for the info. Love that the coaches wished Carter well on his trip, def. put something in the back of his mind before he went on his way.

Advertisement

DT: Yes, I do not see any impact guys for the third year in a row (2 for Golden and company).
RB: Yes, but that may be a function of trying to go 1 or nothing (Collins) and then the guy from Venice scrubbing out in practice. Staff is scrabbling to cover that up now.

At RB they have several back up plans, we have looked at guys like Tice across the country, but it seems we're in a holding pattern. Collins commits we pull off, if he goes away we give the other guys commitable offers. DT seems more like guys aren't interested, we're doing fine at DE, but struggling at tackle

Did I blink and miss when Alex Collins said he was visiting on the 18th?

That's huge news to me.

And yeah that's an awesome story about Carter. When you have a staff full of guys that know how to recruit, you don't throw panic tantrums in December.

you must spread some reputation around before giving it to JHallCanes again

thats just a great thing to do in regards to coaches meeting with Carter. it's intelligent and thoughtful. like to hear that. thanks Pete for the update. you are the man. just great great job

Advertisement
Back