Recruiting Strategy

bshaw28

Junior
Interested to know people's take or info on these questions

1) It seemed like Golden didn't have a good backup strategy for local kids, and either scrambled to offer them late or ****ed them off for not showing any interest until right before signing day. If we did miss on top guys like McFarland, Slaton, etc. do you think Richt has a good backup plan to get local players that are borderline offerable without having to do a complete scramble?

2) Having to deal with Strong, Kiffin, and Butch coming out of the dead period - do you know or expect those coaches to get in the game late and go hard after any of our current commits or targets?

Advertisement
I think the staff feels confident in what they are doing and what they think we will finish with. Feb 1 will tell us if they're right or if they were wrong.

I don't think we need to worry about FIU, FAU, or USF.

Golden would sell the U to kids and then when they saw the results and no change during the year our class would fall apart at the end and we would be left with the diehards who will be Canes no matter what, then reaching on local 2 stars to fill out the class. Based on what we've seen it seems Richt would rather have have no depth or go after a grad transfer than take a jag.

We don't have to worry about FAU, FIU, UCF, or USF.

Richt needs to just lay it out on the table for the recruits mom's.

0aac65c8026d8d6a44c00098472342c301352bddcf07b2c053bf71fa71d0200e.jpg

We currently have our top rated player/target at every position committed with the exception of WR and RB (that will change when McFarland commits)

Advertisement
Richt knows what he's doing in my opinion.

He filled in some holes after the signing period that worked out well. Colbert at CB did very well. Williams was a solid FB, but we seemed to telegraph our running plays a lot almost always running when he was in there. Brown seems like he has the potential to be a good OT here. Harris didn't help too much as a WR, but he was added. A couple kickers were added as walk-ons and that's always a good idea.

I think we'll end up in fine shape with our class, but there will probably be a lot of names still popping up between now and signing day.

1) It seemed like Golden didn't have a good backup strategy for local kids, and either scrambled to offer them late or ****ed them off for not showing any interest until right before signing day. If we did miss on top guys like McFarland, Slaton, etc. do you think Richt has a good backup plan to get local players that are borderline offerable without having to do a complete scramble?

2) Having to deal with Strong, Kiffin, and Butch coming out of the dead period - do you know or expect those coaches to get in the game late and go hard after any of our current commits or targets?

The one thing I don't Richt is going to do is offer kids just to get bodies. If that were the case, we would see a lot more offers out for certain positions.

Why should we be concerned with Strong, Kiffin, or BoRch? LUL.

Advertisement
I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm pretty sure Richt knows what he is doing in the recruiting front. 15 years SEC recruiting, 10+ years at FSU recruiting... i dont think he is going to be left standing at the alter with his thumb up his a$$.

We will be fine. May not get exactly who we thought we would, but I'm sure there are a few more big time guys committing.

Last edited:
There are no positions on the team where of we don't get anymore players we are doomed. None. Not even WR. We don't need to full bodies. We should have better relationships with the current team Juniors so if we don't get anymore WR we just take a bunch next cycle and encourage them to enroll early. We could do with other players but if they are not top quality we don't need them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Yes.

Bandy is the best CB prospect in the country PERIOD!

A more physical Artie Burns.

We currently have our top rated player/target at every position committed with the exception of WR and RB (that will change when McFarland commits)

Are you saying Bandy was our top rated CB?

Bandy is 3-4 inches shorter and doesn't have anywhere near the long speed Artie has. You might just be the biggest slurper on here. Which is saying something.

I think we are still expecting closing like it was during the Coker, Shannon, and Golden years. If he can close like his mentor Bobby then we will be in good shape. I remember FSU's classes looked terrible up until the final week when they'd get a bunch of studs.

Advertisement
Interesting - everyone seems to be positive. I'm much more nervous. Maybe we close big and don't have to worry, but....

OL - we currently have 2 4-Star OL commits over the last 3 years. After next year, that's going to be a HUGE problem. Georgia has 4 4-Star, and 1 5-Star OL in their class this year. That makes me cringe.

WR - I feel like it could end up a mess with Harley & Smith looking not likely.

USF, FIU, FAU - I remember losing Kayvon Webster and Sam Barrington to USF on signing day before. Both are in the NFL and that hurt. Yearby was very close to flipping to USF on Signing Day. I see Charlie Strong who has has success in FL recruiting, and USF coming off an 11-2 season as a legitimate threat.

And I don't think we're going to lose many battles to FAU or FIU, but I could definitely see 1 or 2 local guys that have an offer from us and them choosing them on signing day.

We've only had 4 commits since the season started. I know the reports on our top targets sound like we're in a good position, but I'm getting edgy about not getting any of them to actually commit yet.

Last edited:
It may actually be "Al" foil, as his name suggests....

Yes.

Bandy is the best CB prospect in the country PERIOD!

A more physical Artie Burns.

Are you saying Bandy was our top rated CB?

Take the tin foil hat off your head

My feeling with Butch, Kiffin and Strong is that we will no longer be able to slowplay kids that are plan B and C. Hopefully that will be a good thing. I'm thinking now we offer then push out if we get someone better.

There are no positions on the team where of we don't get anymore players we are doomed. None. Not even WR. We don't need to full bodies. We should have better relationships with the current team Juniors so if we don't get anymore WR we just take a bunch next cycle and encourage them to enroll early. We could do with other players but if they are not top quality we don't need them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The players you recruit each cycle must be able to challenge your best players for PT, otherwise you're recruiting back-ups that will never get PT as the years go on and new quality talent comes in.

Advertisement
Back