Recruiting Strategy - An Added Element...

Too often we hear, read and see analysts and football historians talk about how Schellenberger created a border across mid/South Florida as the "State of Miami", and that every coach since then should do the same, but I would say this:

With explosion of TV contracts and national exposure, many kids don't want to just stay close to home. College is still an experience where you are away from your parents for the first time, and sometimes getting away from home and some of the trouble it can bring is a good thing.
1. With that said, Miami should still place priority on South Florida, and identify who the top talented kids are, regardless of star rankings, and also project how they will grow into their bodies, and the type of mentality they have.

2. Once they have a grasp, and competitive advantage of "State of Miami", they need to also recruit the top talent, star system or otherwise around the country (New Jersey, Texas, Cali, Smith Carolina, Georgia, Vegas, louisiana, Bama, PA and ohio). The same case for kids leaving South Florida would be the same for kids leaving their home states, and even more so given the history and allure of the "U" and South Florida. We can pluck the top talent from those states. (like we did with Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne, Shockey, Mckinnie, Dorsey)

3. This would also help put other schools like Bama on the defensive to not lose kids in their backyard, having to use their recruiting resources time and energy, rather than them spending all their time in South Florida.

4. Part of the pitch to the in state kids has to be, where was Bama and Clemson in the 80's & 90's? they weren't recruiting you here in the tougher neighborhoods, because they were scared. Miami intentionally wrapped their arms around Miami/South Florida tough neighborhoods. Only recently that those schools feel more comfortable and the college football landscape is more competitive and bigger money, do those schools realize they have to come here for the talent. Why should the kids let them do that? stay home and go to the legendary "U", and make it US versus the WORLD. Smash Bama and Clemson and let them know its a FLORIDA thing.

5. O line & QB's have to be recruited harder out of state. O line, QB and the competitive mindset are the three biggest factors that have held us back from being elite and great again. After those legendary teams of the past, kids started to come here to go to the NFL, and we definitely are NFL - U, but it has to happen from kids being super competitive, which will naturally lead them to be NFL greats like the players before them.

Advertisement
2021 Targets:

1581192354948.png

Too often we hear, read and see analysts and football historians talk about how Schellenberger created a border across mid/South Florida as the "State of Miami", and that every coach since then should do the same, but I would say this:

With explosion of TV contracts and national exposure, many kids don't want to just stay close to home. College is still an experience where you are away from your parents for the first time, and sometimes getting away from home and some of the trouble it can bring is a good thing.
1. With that said, Miami should still place priority on South Florida, and identify who the top talented kids are, regardless of star rankings, and also project how they will grow into their bodies, and the type of mentality they have.

2. Once they have a grasp, and competitive advantage of "State of Miami", they need to also recruit the top talent, star system or otherwise around the country (New Jersey, Texas, Cali, Smith Carolina, Georgia, Vegas, louisiana, Bama, PA and ohio). The same case for kids leaving South Florida would be the same for kids leaving their home states, and even more so given the history and allure of the "U" and South Florida. We can pluck the top talent from those states. (like we did with Ed Reed, Reggie Wayne, Shockey, Mckinnie, Dorsey)

3. This would also help put other schools like Bama on the defensive to not lose kids in their backyard, having to use their recruiting resources time and energy, rather than them spending all their time in South Florida.

4. Part of the pitch to the in state kids has to be, where was Bama and Clemson in the 80's & 90's? they weren't recruiting you here in the tougher neighborhoods, because they were scared. Miami intentionally wrapped their arms around Miami/South Florida tough neighborhoods. Only recently that those schools feel more comfortable and the college football landscape is more competitive and bigger money, do those schools realize they have to come here for the talent. Why should the kids let them do that? stay home and go to the legendary "U", and make it US versus the WORLD. Smash Bama and Clemson and let them know its a FLORIDA thing.

5. O line & QB's have to be recruited harder out of state. O line, QB and the competitive mindset are the three biggest factors that have held us back from being elite and great again. After those legendary teams of the past, kids started to come here to go to the NFL, and we definitely are NFL - U, but it has to happen from kids being super competitive, which will naturally lead them to be NFL greats like the players before them.
I laffed.

You think a 18 year old kid today is going to make his life choice based on Miami talkimbout where was Bama in 1987?

Come on.

Folks make this too complicated. Evaluate well, sell well, demonstrate you’re a good choice for kids. Many, prolly most local kids will always want to be a hometown hero, in Miami and everywhere else. But staying home to star in a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a clown show ain’t appealing to too many kids.

I laffed.

You think a 18 year old kid today is going to make his life choice based on Miami talkimbout where was Bama in 1987?

Come on.

Folks make this too complicated. Evaluate well, sell well, demonstrate you’re a good choice for kids. Many, prolly most local kids will always want to be a hometown hero, in Miami and everywhere else. But staying home to star in a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a clown show ain’t appealing to too many kids.

Exactly why I pointed out different elements, not just your narrowly focused one. Its not about what they'd id in the 80's, its about pride for where they are from, which everyone can relate to. Even more so, thats why recruiting harder outside of South Florida also solidifies the growth needed. Kids want the college experience and are curious what else is out there. But its clear guys like you are clueless. Evaluate well, sell well. Pretty broad dot you think? if identifying well was so easy, then the NFL Draft & NFL would be predictable, but its not because some are late bloomers, some have the mind over matter mentality more so than others, some rely on their physical tools which may be more advanced than others In their teen years and so on. Evaluation isn't so cut and dry. Sell well....more to my point, what are you selling? what's a differentiation from other school. (weather, location, history...but much of it is trust snd confidence the school and coaches will develop them as men and football players and put them in the best possible position to succeed.

So schedule matters - need to have a consistent solid out of conference schedule. facilities, acedameic programs, and family type element, which is definitely a differentiator more so than most other schools, along with elite alumni coming back and training at the school or staying close as good friends like many past players still are.

Advertisement
Exactly why I pointed out different elements, not just your narrowly focused one. Its not about what they'd id in the 80's, its about pride for where they are from, which everyone can relate to. Even more so, thats why recruiting harder outside of South Florida also solidifies the growth needed. Kids want the college experience and are curious what else is out there. But its clear guys like you are clueless. Evaluate well, sell well. Pretty broad dot you think? if identifying well was so easy, then the NFL Draft & NFL would be predictable, but its not because some are late bloomers, some have the mind over matter mentality more so than others, some rely on their physical tools which may be more advanced than others In their teen years and so on. Evaluation isn't so cut and dry. Sell well....more to my point, what are you selling? what's a differentiation from other school. (weather, location, history...but much of it is trust snd confidence the school and coaches will develop them as men and football players and put them in the best possible position to succeed.

So schedule matters - need to have a consistent solid out of conference schedule. facilities, acedameic programs, and family type element, which is definitely a differentiator more so than most other schools, along with elite alumni coming back and training at the school or staying close as good friends like many past players still are.
Cool, thanks 4 the analysis!

Florida + Texas + Arizona recruits = Annual ACCCG's for us.

Get kids from TX, AZ, LV, NJ & continue mining North/Central & South Fla for the best athletes you can find.

The only GA & Louisiana kids that we could maybe get are the ones that SEC programs don't want.

Get kids from TX, AZ, LV, NJ & continue mining North/Central & South Fla for the best athletes you can find.

The only GA & Louisiana kids that we could maybe get are the ones that SEC programs don't want.
Id snoop around the Carolinas a little bit too... especially at Mallard creek where Q.Williams is from... HC is a cane fan right?

Wanted to send us M.Williams that old UNC QB from a few years back

Advertisement

Lash=ties to TX recruits
Likens=AZ & CA
Justice=NV

Advertisement
I laffed.

Come on.

Fragile ego. Don't want to begin with.....

I think Atlanta kids are open to Miami. Even though Atlanta is in the middle of SEC country (G-tech notwithstanding), the personality of Atlanta kids is more in line with Miami than the towns the SEC schools are located in. i agree with you as to the rest of Georgia, but the island of Atlanta would be good to us if we consistently recruit it.

Advertisement
I think Atlanta kids are open to Miami. Even though Atlanta is in the middle of SEC country (G-tech notwithstanding), the personality of Atlanta kids is more in line with Miami than the towns the SEC schools are located in. i agree with you as to the rest of Georgia, but the island of Atlanta would be good to us if we consistently recruit it.
Not a bad idea, but the best programs aren’t necessarily in the city limits. Schools like Hillgrove, Walton, Grayson, Colquitt County, McEachern, and Milton are well outside the city and are considered solid dog territories.

Not a bad idea, but the best programs aren’t necessarily in the city limits. Schools like Hillgrove, Walton, Grayson, Colquitt County, McEachern, and Milton are well outside the city and are considered solid dog territories.
I agree. I really should have written “Metro Atlanta”, which includes Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb, Hall, Douglas, Clayton and Rockdale counties.

Out of curiousity why do you think we play so well in Arizona? I always view us as needing to look in urban centers wherever you find them. Places like New Orleans, Atlanta, DC, Philly, Detroit, Baltimore, St Louis....

I laffed.

Come on.

Winning will bring us back. It's tee'd up for us. We play in an easy division compared to other conferences. We just need to handle our business. The ACC needs us to win the Coastal year in and year out to make the conference better nationally.

We start winning the Coastal on a regular basis and the recruiting classes will be top 10 every year which will help push us over the top to beat Clemson. Once we win an ACC title and make the CFP, the recruiting flood gates will open.

2021 Could be our year to win the ACC as Trevor Lawrence will be gone and Clemson will be breaking in a new QB. Granted he's the #1 ranked QB coming out of HS, but inexperienced non the less. I'm hoping N'kosi finds himself and balls out his senior year as I believe the Lashlee offense suits him well and we will have a veteran offensive line in 2021.

It's not that complicated. Just win!!!! We need to see a big improvement in 2020.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back