Recruiting Question 2018

Miami04

Senior
@Stefan Adams and anyone else that has an answer/thought.

I read the threads but don't keep up with recruiting like I used to. Golden burned me out on it.

For the Surge 19 class I have seen a couple of post in places mentioning that were are not securing very many of the top players in the state. Add to that we seemed to miss out on all of those players last year as well while having a great season. (besides Lingard & Pope)

In no way am I being negative but I just wanted to ask should we be concerned? Will it take multiple great seasons to bring these elite kids in? Is it a losing battle fighting against the SEC bags? Are the kids just not as high on our board?

I'd just like a sense of what it means.

Advertisement
Lol t Besides lingard and pope like that’s the only guys we got in the 2018 class..... sit this one out.

2019 the case can be made but in the 2018 class it cannot whatsoever. We signed plenty of elite talent. The 2 guys we missed out on that we had a shot at is jobe and Campbell

I read the threads but don't keep up with recruiting like I used to. Golden burned me out on it.

For the Surge 19 class I have seen a couple of post in places mentioning that were are not securing very many of the top players in the state. Add to that we seemed to miss out on all of those players last year as well while having a great season. (besides Lingard & Pope)

In no way am I being negative but I just wanted to ask should we be concerned? Will it take multiple great seasons to bring these elite kids in? Is it a losing battle fighting against the SEC bags? Are the kids just not as high on our board?

Miami sucked for 15!!!!! Years. These kids don’t even know what a good Miami team looks like. It takes time to recreat that recruiting momentum. Mark Richt has done a phenomenal job to get us where we are now. We don’t have the facilitie$ or resource$ to match with the top dogs. We will never finish top 3 in recruiting year over year. We can win at a high level by bringing in top 10 classes yearly. Mark Richt will deliver talent each year for that to be obtainable.

I’m not directing this towards you, but so many on here act like Miami is every kids destination because guys like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Edge, Portis etc... played here. Well you know what....these kids we are recruiting have no idea who these guys are outside of highlight tapes and stories from their old *** uncles. We need to start winning now and put a product in the field worth coming to Miami for. Once we do that consistently, we will see top classes.

We haven’t even won the ACC!!! We had 3 awful coaches in a row and were on probabtion for basically 5 years. Time for most of our fans to understand the reality of where this program was when Mark Richt took over.

The game has changed drastically. It’s not about the blue chips anymore. Top guys are consistently selling out for the sec bags. Don’t expect top 5 rankings anymore. Lucky if we crack 15 this year. The sky is not falling. Staff will have to work much harder. We have a huge advantage down here for evaluations and inside scoop for our local kids. We can have a great team if the coaches do their jobs well and don’t miss on S Fla 3 stars that we never offered and become draft picks.

Advertisement
Consistency. One thing the Miami Program has lacked is consistency. If when can continue to win 9-10+ games a year then kids will realize this program has changed. An I believe Mark Richt is doing just that.

Saw a recent SB Nation article on recruiting in the state of Florida. Of the current top 40 players in the state (excluding IMG kids not from FL):

FSU: 8
Miami: 6
Florida: 1

We are still in a good spot for Stevenson, Richards, Neal, Bogle, Mcintosh, etc. so there's a chance we land 10 or more of the top 40 Florida kids.

Scroll down the three or four threads below..

Advertisement
Elam? Slow play him. Gant? Slow play him. Sorrels? Slow play him. Rian Davis? Slow play him. Jaden Davis? Slow play him. Battle? Decided to jump on him late in the process. Yes be very afraid sir because I don't know what the staff is doing/thinking.

I've been concerned about defensive recruiting for 2 years now.
Elam? Slow play him. Gant? Slow play him. Sorrels? Slow play him. Rian Davis? Slow play him. Jaden Davis? Slow play him. Battle? Decided to jump on him late in the process. Yes be very afraid sir because I don't know what the staff is doing/thinking.
you’re both idiots...

We can’t take 100 kids. There is a pecking order that none of us have any clue on how it looks. Some of you must be teenagers or just starting to follow recruiting because your post are terrible.

I have Dan Sileo Jr. next to me and he wants you to know we will be getting signing day commitments from (4) 5 stars and (5) 4 star athletes that are currently silent commits. Nothing to worry about my friend. #YouareWelcome

Advertisement

We've touched on this in some way in each of the last few podcasts, but the dynamic of the 2019 class is much different than the 2018 class. Last year, Miami wrapped up most of their top targets by the end of spring because those guys knew 100% where they wanted to go and saw no reason to wait, while this year most of their top targets want to give a lot of schools a fair shot at them and want to play out the process; they'll wait until fall or even the winter to decide. 2018 was a special class, no doubt about it, and was the exception, not the rule, in terms of so many top targets jumping on board to UM early.

So, obviously, that means the 2018 class looked a lot better at this point in the cycle than 2019 does right now, but I don't see that as cause for concern at this point. Miami is in a good spot for all of those 2019 top targets and they will just have to keep fighting a little harder and longer to get them to UM. The problem would be if they started missing on some of those top guys and have to rely on Plan B, C, D guys to fill out the class.

There's no one answer to why contact has dropped off with certain guys, but it is certainly a combination of Miami does not feel they are truly that interested in coming here and UM just isn't as high on them as they used to be, and it's obviously different on case-by-case basis.

The bag game is a very real factor and I've already seen/heard multiple instances of it coming into play just in 5 months working here, and this is coming from someone who believed it was minor at best in the past; it depends on the individual kid if they want to be influenced that way. If you need any more convincing, you should read this article to see how rampant it truly is.

Inside the NCAA’s years-long, twisting investigation into Mississippi football

In sum, I think UM is in a good situation. They learned from last season and started taking the local gems they love right now while waiting to see what happens with the big names, instead of trying to get in with the local gems at the last minute after big targets go elsewhere. It's true UM has a lot of advantages because of their location but they also have many disadvantages as a small private institution. Miami used to have top 5 level classes every year because they were competing for national championships every year. They have to start winning at that level consistently to see big returns on highly-rated recruits every year, simple as that.

Saw a recent SB Nation article on recruiting in the state of Florida. Of the current top 40 players in the state (excluding IMG kids not from FL):

FSU: 8
Miami: 6
Florida: 1

We are still in a good spot for Stevenson, Richards, Neal, Bogle, Mcintosh, etc. so there's a chance we land 10 or more of the top 40 Florida kids.

Link Please..... I liked to send it to a few of my Gaytah friends......

Found it for anyone else that like a good read.

Link: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2018/7/17/17578988/florida-recruiting-miami-fsu-gators-georgia-ohio-state-alabama

Thanks for the heads-up,

Peruche

Last edited:
In my opinion, one of the things that made us great back in the early 2000's was that we had 3 stars and 4 stars that went unnoticed that became great. We had a coach that could evaluate talent without being caught up with the star ratings. That's what's great about SFLA. you ever see UCF and USF of the worlds get the 2 star and 3 start talent from SFLA? year in and year out we always thing, how did that kid get away from us? That's what Richt is doing. He is being thorough with evaluations. He knows our 3 star kids here in SFLA are majority better than any 4 star or 5 star around the country.

Advertisement
In my opinion, one of the things that made us great back in the early 2000's was that we had 3 stars and 4 stars that went unnoticed that became great. We had a coach that could evaluate talent without being caught up with the star ratings. That's what's great about SFLA. you ever see UCF and USF of the worlds get the 2 star and 3 start talent from SFLA? year in and year out we always thing, how did that kid get away from us? That's what Richt is doing. He is being thorough with evaluations. He knows our 3 star kids here in SFLA are majority better than any 4 star or 5 star around the country.

I agree but the game has changed... those local under the radar guys are harder to find with the technology boom. Early 2000's dial-up internet was the norm, less information, less camps, easier to find under the radar kids because the radar was smaller. People can argue what they want about star rankings but chances are if a kid is ballin, he is ranked. Are there exceptions? of course but you have to land some top notch elite talent to go with a few "great" unnoticed 3 star kids.

Also listened to Jimmy Johnson (I think it was him, if I am wrong someone correct me) on how UM in his time recruited itself because we were always contending for national championships and therefore we were always on national TV, his pitch was essentially go play where your family and friends can watch you from anywhere. Nowadays I can watch the mud dogs play the cougars on ESPN the Ocho.... We just have to adapt to the changes.

Correct, you don't. If only you had years of experience coaching college football and recruiting players, and got paid handsomely to do it.

Everyone wants to be an armchair recruiting director acting like the tape they see and the threads they read are more valid than all the work the coaches do on LOCAL guys.

IMO, I think 2019 class seems like a down year in the state of Florida. I think miami will still have for sure a top-15 class and probably something around 8-12. Which isn’t bad at all. 2020 looks like it’s going to be a great class. I’m not worried. They may lack the big names now but some of these guys seem like they will be good players down the road. I believe each class will get better and better as results on the field get better and more consistent

There is a lot of stuff that never makes the boards. In particular who the coaches really want, have a shot with, and who they stopped recruiting.

The one thing I know about young men or even kids, they tend to be people pleasers. They say about anything in these interviews rather than just saying they've moved on (they don't want to be disrespectful) or seen as disrespected when a school has moved on.

I like last years class. I would've liked to have some of the recruits we missed on, but I'm realistic with what we are right now. We've been down in the dumps, by our standards for sure, and have to rebuild our appeal. The recruits now don't know Miami we knew when we were the kings of college football.

This is why I don't get bent out of shape when we don't land PSJr or TC as those were uphill battles to begin with. We still did well, so in general, I will wait and see what comes together ome more time before I label this coach or that as a recruiting failure.

Advertisement
Back